Best mount for iPad mini in a 100 series? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mine is kind of handmade with some Repurposed parts (Bicycle parts) and custom made salvage parts from a fail product and mainly using a Manfrotto collapsible/detachable/adjustable arm (super sturdy, to sturdy if anything and a little to bulky specially the knob)..
image-XL.jpg

I'm running a Galaxy tab 4, so I can run the Torque pro app, but the dimensions are very similar to the mini..
image-XL.jpg

Plus I'm not done but I'm pretty sure is going to work very well..
image-XL.jpg

Focus/task, locate the screen as close to the field of vision of the driver without any physical (like getting in the way of the steering or shifting, easy to micro adjust on the fly with any tools, knobs to turn, etc) or sensory hiccups > as safe as possible.

Side purpose, let me monitor and play with the screen when my wife is driving so it will aim to the passenger seat.
image-XL.jpg

I did a crusial update on mine..

I first I just made a "Pyramid" out of wood attach with 6 mm rivnuts to the trans tunnel (look like really thin metal) and a piece of nylon to hold the bolts, but sincerely it was moving to much "Harmonic vibration"
image-XL.jpg

So I decide to make a much more rigid.

I also use a shaft to hold the delrin pieces in line, the poor 6mm are just to wimpy for such a load, now is working much better, I can place the pretty much anywhere I want..
image-XL.jpg

Four bolts just make sure..
image-XL.jpg

Jotto mount Police, EMS, and fire figured it out
In my opinion the screen need to be Right in the field of vision of the driver, if you need to rotate your head 70 degrees every time you are looking at the screen (Not input data, just look at it, glance it), that is a second you lost (read the studies, is actually is like 1.6 seconds)

In my opinion the screen need to be Right in the field of vision of the driver, if you need to rotate your head 70 degrees every time you are looking at the screen (Not input data, just look at it, glance it), that is a second you lost (read the studies, is actually is like 1.6 seconds)

Jotto gives you the ability to do anything up, down, left, and right. Been running the set up in both my 80 & 100 first with a laptop now with an iPad never a vibration and strong enough to sit on. Seen 1000,s of off road miles and still as solid as the day it was installed. Disclaimer both post mounts are custom and more solid than anything bolt in I have come across. The flexibilty will get away from the passanger making it wife friendly.
IMG_6984[1].JPG
IMG_6985[1].JPG
IMG_6986[1].JPG
IMG_6987[1].JPG
IMG_6988[1].JPG

Jotto gives you the ability to do anything up, down, left, and right. Been running the set up in both my 80 & 100 first with a laptop now with an iPad never a vibration and strong enough to sit on. Seen 1000,s of off road miles and still as solid as the day it was installed. Disclaimer both post mounts are custom and more solid than anything bolt in I have come across. The flexibilty will get away from the passanger making it wife friendly.
View attachment 1342313 View attachment 1342314 View attachment 1342315 View attachment 1342316 View attachment 1342317
Can you place it right in front of you Instrument panel...?? not even on the console where the radio goes..??

Can you imagine a fighter pilot looking for information on a side screen.

Disclaimer: I do have a master deggre in Ergonomic science a spend many years improving visual data access on paris dakar bikes, some Russian trucks and many Iron butt riders including the record holder that broke his own record by more than a hour, all atributed to optimise layout..

I have two RAM mount rigs above the dash in my FJC (yes, I know different dash). The first holds my iPhone just above and inboard of the driver side vent. The 2nd holds my iPad mini above the clock. Basically at my 10 and 2 positions from the driver seat. Here's the setup without the devices in them so you get a better idea of where they layout. Each base has been screwed into the dash with a backing plate of .125" alum under the dash plastic to reinforce. I predrilled the holes to accept the mounting screws. Then I have a standard 3" RAM arm attached to each ball mount. The phone mount is the spring loaded "X-mount" and the iPad mini mount is called the "roller mount". The central location of the iPad base mount and the 3" arm allows for movement towards the navigator seat as well.
RAM-fjc.JPG

The nice thing about these two mounts is that I can remove them easily and leave nothing but the ball base in the vehicle. The x-mount allows mounting any type of phone with/without a case, but the roller mount for the iPad only allows for a bare iPad mini to fit.

Last edited:
Can you place it right in front of you Instrument panel...?? not even on the console where the radio goes..??

Can you imagine a fighter pilot looking for information on a side screen.

Disclaimer: I do have a master deggre in Ergonomic science a spend many years improving visual data access on paris dakar bikes, some Russian trucks and many Iron butt riders including the record holder that broke his own record by more than a hour, all atributed to optimise layout..

Wth is an iron butt rider lol

most of those mounts look large and bulky. What about passenger comfort? Would it not be in their way?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom