Best degreaser to use? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kief said:
Castrol Superclean works good but is very strong, as in, use eye face and skin protection and don't use it on aluminum.

I wish I had read the container on this stuff before I used it. Bare hands, cleaning my transfercase up after taking it all apart. The next morning my hands were peeling like mad, and all red. I had left a few of the covers from the t-case soaking in the stuff overnight. I went down to my garage, read the warnings on it, and pulled out the pieces. All the paint was gone, and the aluminum pieces were covered in a slimy residue. It all cleaned off, but it sure pays to read directions first! But damn the stuff works good.

Marine Clean and Castrol Superclean both contain alot of lye, or sodium hydroxide. It erodes aluminum pretty quickly. They are very similar products - the Castrol is quite a bit cheaper and smells better but it gets sudsy and the Marine Clean works a little bit longer. I fill my parts washer with Superclean and it eventually ate the paint off of it, but it keeps on working - I've got two knuckle rebuilds and several other projects on this first fill of about 12 gallons. The fluid is all cloudy with gunk but it keeps cutting the grease...

Do NOT leave aluminum parts soaking in either product any longer than necessary to get them clean. Definitely not over night.

74fj40 said:
Picked up a gallon of purple power from walmart, that stuf works great! bout 5 bucks a gallon

i was a fan of mean green. i just the other day i tryed purple power on 20yrs of grim in the engine bay of the 60.
oh my gawd:eek: :eek: that stuff is the shizzle. the only thing it did'nt get the first go around was the front diff, the motor is spotless now.

Add me to the over cleaner list..

I might try Simple Green - would it be better to use this on a cool or warm engine? Thanks.

Oven cleaner for nasty stuff, like the mini truck axel I got from the junk yard. Or my transfer case/ transmission, they were nasty in the areas I couldn't reach with the wand at the car wash.

BMAN: Over cleaner contains lye and will oxidize aluminium. Since I live in the desert, where alkili is abundent, every AL part on my truck already has a matte finish. It really dosen't damage it except cosmeticly.

I have had good luck with the engine degreaser at the quarter wash for lighter clean-up.

On a side note to the Hotsy steam cleaners, I just hook up the garden hose to the hot water heater and pressure washer. Not sure if it works as well as a Hotsy but it does a nice job and no rental fees.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom