Best 37/38" off-road tire on the market? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What's the hot set up? I've been overseas for 3 years and out of the loop on the hot set up for trails. I had 37x13.50 Cooper STT Pro's on ATX bead locks. Loved them- 30,000 miles, crossed the country, ran Moab, Everglades, mid-atlantic off-road parks, and they performed outstanding. Currently the Jeep is in storage sitting on boring 35" duratracs but it's time to fix that. I could go back to the SST's, but wondering if there's anything better since then for rocks, mud, roots, snow, etc - the typical east coast off-roading plus trips out west.

I have been running the stt pro. on my FJc Moab ,Rubicon snow , daily drive and they have been great

Cool, looks like I can just buy another set. I see that the Mickey Baja boss appears to be the same tire with different tread. I just leaned cooper makes their tires.

There are a few good radial MTs

STT PRO- Good solid tire, only ran a short time but had cupping/feathering that made them really loud. Seem to have very stout sidewall. Run true to size. Considering a set for the trail rig.

MTR- Unfortunately not being made at the moment. Put 30k on a set with heavy east coast trail action. Compound is great for wet rock. Would buy again. Run true to size.

KM3s- Have 2 sets, tall/skinny set has wheeled all over the east coast and Ouray/Moab. 2nd set is on my DD FJC, 12k miles with good wear and several hard wheeling trips. Great grip all around but softer sidewalls for an E range tire. Have shrugged off everything thrown at them but squish around more than expected at 15-17psi. Run small.

Razr MT- Heard great things, would give them a shot. Run true to size.

Yokohama G003- Heard great things.

Geolander XMT- Really curious for a more trail oriented rig, look like an updated Krawler.

Not recommended:

Patagonia MTs- Set of 37s on the rig that ran MTRs. The pats are not good offroad, grip is meh at best, have to air down a ton for any bite, huge tread blocks resist conforming to rocks and they wear fast...

Baja Boss MT- Guy on Irate4x4 has a set of 40s on a 1 ton dual cab tacoma. Apparently they blow in the snow and are cracking from low pressures MT says running below 10psi and going offroad voids warranty allegedly. Just copying what was posted.

Thanks for the inputs. I think the STT's will be ticket. Shame about the Baja Boss's, wonder if those are now cooper-china tires, would explain the cracking. I'll have to check into the geo landers again. I'm in Japan right now and lots of rigs run Yokohamas. I really like the Toyo Open country M/T on my F250 a decade ago- they ran great on the road and snow and needed almost no lead to balance, but I never off-roaded them, being a full sized diesel truck.

I had old school MT/R Goodyears on a CJ7 and they were pretty good too.

I've witnessed Nitto TG's suck on ice. Every rig on those got strapped up an icy slope and us on duratracs motored right up. No idea on the STT's though, never snow-wheeled with those. General Grabbers suck too in the mud and ice, my wheeling buddy couldn't get up anything with those.

I'm also not a BFG fan for a few reasons- not off-road related but I put the A/T "DT" on an eco boost f150 and I couldn't get off from a stop in the wet without spinning tires.

Nitto just came out with 2 tires in the 38 flavor. Trail & Ridge Graps

I have 2 sets of the STT Pros in different sizes for my Cruiser I liked them so much. And my wife put them on her Sequoia as well. They've performed great in the snow, did great on rocks, but really surprised me in soft, deep silt in the desert.

I really like the Toyo Open country M/T on my F250 a decade ago- they ran great on the road and snow and needed almost no lead to balance, but I never off-roaded them, being a full sized diesel truck.
I really like the Toyo Open country M/T on my FJ55. We get a bit of snow here, my Pig is my DD.
They work very well on the rocks. Like the Rubicon. I do off-road them, it being LandCruiser.
Mine are 37x14.5 on 15" rims.
This is my second set. Love the sturdy sidewalls, the grip, the longevity, the balance.

20230101_113232.jpg

20220828_110111.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom