Bent axle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had rear hub work done for sheared hub bolts and while I had the truck at the shop, the mechanic noticed the front left hub was leaking. The warrant of fitness (the mandatory “safety” inspection needed every 6 months to legally drive the car on the road; really, it’s a punishment for keeping an old truck and not upgrading to a Tesla) guy refused to certify it until the front knuckles were rebuilt. On opening the front diff housing, they realised the left leak was due to the housing being bent. I thought I was in for a full replacement, but there’s an engineer shop local that bends the axle back to shape.

Has anyone had this done and is it a permanent “fix” or a temporary “patch”? I can’t find any replacement front diff housings for the cable lock HJ61 so it seems the best bet either way. It’ll be near $1k nzd for removal, bending, and reinstall.

how did they determine the axle is bent?

gear oil will leak into the ball for other reasons than a bent housing.

how did they determine the axle is bent?

gear oil will leak into the ball for other reasons than a bent housing.
Since everything else on the truck was beat and old and not taken care of from the guy I bought it from, I assumed the axle was in need of innards (it was, the old grease was almost dry and one seal on the right side was entirely missing) They went to replace the seals and bearings on both sides and the leaky side had trouble pulling the axle and putting back the bearings and axle.

The angle the axle went in means bent, but not too badly, housing. Enough to leak but not enough to not be able to fix. Apparently. I hope.

If the birfield came out easily..I'd really question that diagnosis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom