Before I tear it down… (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gday brains trust!

Wondering if I can get your professional listening opinion on the following…

Front feft side is making a driveline clunking sound ONLY in a certain rotation of the wheel/axle.

First video shows the noise on a certain part of the wheel rotation.

Second video is when the wheel is rotated a bit more and the same back and forth action was done. No metal clunking noise.

I also hear this over bumps every now and then.

The other side doesn’t do this.

What might this noise be before I tear it down? Could be the CV or c-clip that holds the CV together I suppose… what else could make a sound only on a certain part of the wheel rotating?
The other noises you hear are normal (driveshaft, transfercase lash etc)

or is it normal!!??

Cheers

Hard to tell exactly what it is, but could be dry CVs or a really worn drive flange.

New driveflange went in the other day, didn't help. Could be the CV but really can't explain why it would be ?
No grease? If I see the video correctly it makes the noise when you go from one direction to the opposite direction, that seems to indicate slop somewhere. How many miles on the truck? Front end ever been rebuilt? CV may just be worn to the point of needing to be replaced.

We're both wheels up in the air when you did the video? Do you hear this while driving or only when you have it jacked up and are moving it with your hand?

Yes always serviced. Front end rebuild 6 months ago. When you mean a worn CV, wouldn't it click with wear in the balls/cage as opposed to this noise ?

Yes both wheels were up. And yes I hear it sometimes (when the wheel is in that specific rotation)... hard to explain.

Yes always serviced. Front end rebuild 6 months ago. When you mean a worn CV, wouldn't it click with wear in the balls/cage as opposed to this noise ?
Yeah it would have a clicking when turning as well
Yes both wheels were up. And yes I hear it sometimes (when the wheel is in that specific rotation)... hard to explain.
If you had it rebuilt 6 months ago there should be plenty of grease in the CVs. Is it definitely coming from the outer axle housing? could just be ring/pinion or driveline slop. Greased the front driveline lately? Pretty sure I'd have noise running it back and forth like that on my front end too. And I have new CVs, new R/P and new driveline.

If you had it rebuilt 6 months ago there should be plenty of grease in the CVs. Is it definitely coming from the outer axle housing? could just be ring/pinion or driveline slop. Greased the front driveline lately? Pretty sure I'd have noise running it back and forth like that on my front end too. And I have new CVs, new R/P and new driveline
So drive flang new, ring and pinion new, grease, seals, CV joints and bearings 6 months old at most....when you do that little back and forth rotating what is happening with the drive shaft? Any movement?

How confident do you feel about the axle work? Any play 3 and 9 or 12 and 6?

Absolutely no play 3/9 or 12/6. New genuine driveshaft unis recently too (sound was there before and after).

There’s plenty of grease in there!

I mean I guess it could be pinion slop but why only on a certain rotation? And it doesn’t sound like it’s coming from the diff… it’s in the end of the axle area just came n the drivers side (RHD).

Someone mentioned it could be the he inner CV c clip broken. I’m thinking it might be my CV…

The problem I see is if I tear it all down and it looks fine then what!

Well my next thought was the c clip.....but only from a guess as i have never experienced a c clip issue nor know what that sounds / feels like.

I'm subscribing just so I learn something new!

Check it out from the other direction? Find the spot where it makes the sound, put both front tires on the ground, t'case in neutral, try and rotate the front drive shaft? Can you look at/feel the ring gear through the fill plug?

Open differentials or does it have e-lockers?

How much rotation on the pinion before ring gear contact?

How much rotation on the pinion before axle shaft rotation?

Sounds to me like spider gear slop coupled with ring and pinion excessive gear lash. Could be a loose pinion bearing, possibly incorrectly torqued or not spaced correctly.

*update*

Well I tore it down and replaced CV and spindle.
No more sound. Nice and tight. Fixed. 👍🏻

I actually think it was because my old spindle was worn a bit and the CV axel was rattling around. when the axel was under drive tension (between diff gear and drive flange) it didn’t move around but when you “coast” or when it’s under a lose condition (no tension) then it rattles around.

Hope it helps someone one day…

…So you replaced the birf on that side, yeah?

If so, keep the oldie for a trail spare or to flop into the other side if it starts making same noise (I didn't watch vid’s, betting on birf clicking).

Flopping older birfs side-to-side extends some of the life when you have full-lock ‘clicking‘ from older or dry-run birfs.

*update*

Well I tore it down and replaced CV and spindle.
No more sound. Nice and tight. Fixed. 👍🏻

I actually think it was because my old spindle was worn a bit and the CV axel was rattling around. when the axel was under drive tension (between diff gear and drive flange) it didn’t move around but when you “coast” or when it’s under a lose condition (no tension) then it rattles around.

Hope it helps someone one day…

Nice job dude! Did you replace the spindle with another brass one or an updated version with needle bearings? Those brass spindles do get dry with age and need grease applied to them manually, otherwise, they'll start making growling sounds. This is not as much of an issue if you're part time and rear wd.

Gday, yeah I replaced the spindle with a needle bearing type. Much tighter tolerances!
I had already done this on the other side, so I've got both sides with the newer needle bearing spindles now. Much better.

FWIW, I like the bronze bushes. But that’s me :meh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom