Battery

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
May 17, 2011
Threads
127
Messages
1,384
Location
Western NC
Today, a Toyota dealer tech told me that a van displaying Interstate Batteries logo delivers their Toyota True Start batteries. Probably no surprise...
 
Roger that. Not saying that T does. Just reporting the weather.

:)
 
And it could be argued that Interstate makes pretty good batteries...
 
And it could be argued that Interstate makes pretty good batteries...
They can*

They also build to whatever spec the contract requires. My friend had two Truestarts die in his 4runner inside three months. The third held up.

Between that and the TS I had in my 200 weeping fluid out of the ports on top, I moved to an actual Interstate battery, like I had been putting into my other cars for years. Has been working great with no seepage ~3 years in.
 
I think there’s only what….3 companies making batteries now?

East Penn, clarios….and (insert possible third here courtesy of google)

I was bummed to see my once great labels have been taken to task by corporate bottom lines. Tbh, I don’t know if it matters anymore what sticker is on the side as long as it meets spec. That hurt to type.
 
I think there’s only what….3 companies making batteries now?

East Penn, clarios….and (insert possible third here courtesy of google)

I was bummed to see my once great labels have been taken to task by corporate bottom lines. Tbh, I don’t know if it matters anymore what sticker is on the side as long as it meets spec. That hurt to type.
"1 IN 3 VEHICLES POWERED BY A CLARIOS BATTERY WORLDWIDE"


chatgpt:
U.S. label / line2026 battery typesManufacturer / factory clueDoes source vary by SKU?
DuralastFloodedPrimarily Clarios, with East Penn also supplying DuralastYES — particularly important distinction
Duralast GoldFloodedClarios / East PennYES
Duralast Platinum EFBEFBPrimarily Clarios-type sourcingLikely
Duralast Platinum AGMAGMClarios and East PennYES
DieHardFlooded / EFB / AGMPrimarily Clarios for many automotive lines; Advance owns the automotive brandYES
EverStartFlooded / AGMClarios is a major supplier; Walmart explicitly says the third-party producer can vary by model, region and production dateYES — strongly
EverStart MaxxFlooded / AGMClarios is documented on current productsYES
EverStart PlatinumAGMClarios documented on current productionPossible
Interstate MT / MTPFloodedMultiple manufacturers, including ClariosYES
Interstate MTX / AGMAGMMultiple manufacturing sourcesYES
Super StartFloodedEast Penn / Clarios / other contracted sources depending lineYES
Super Start PremiumFloodedEast Penn / Clarios sourcingYES
Super Start PlatinumAGM / flooded depending SKUEast Penn / ClariosYES
NAPA LegendFloodedEast Penn or Clarios on current NAPA listingsYES
NAPA Legend PremiumFlooded / AGMEast Penn / Clarios depending SKUYES
NAPA Legend ProfessionalFloodedNAPA currently lists East Penn or Clarios as manufacturer on numerous SKUsYES
NAPA Legend ImportFloodedEast Penn is documented on the import lineLess variation
AAA Premium / AAA BatteryFlooded / AGMEast Penn or ClariosYES
Duracell AutomotiveFlooded / EFB / AGMEast Penn is a major documented supplierSome variation
Duracell Ultra AutomotiveFlooded / AGMEast Penn documentedPossible
X2PowerAGMEnerSys / NorthStar lineage for the premium AGM productsLess than most private labels
OPTIMAAGM / spiral-cell AGMClariosGenerally NO
ODYSSEYAGMEnerSysGenerally NO
DEKAFlooded / AGMEast PennGenerally NO
DEKA IntimidatorAGMEast PennGenerally NO
​
 
That’s interesting about their coverage and market penetration. I couldn’t remember what other options there were. It doesn’t look like there’s many other legitimate options aside from Odyssey batteries (which are likely not a great fit in the 200 given our charging logic setups iirc).

Kind of like some of the fake variety we see everyday at the grocery store, etc.
 
I would pay good money for an original-equipment Panasonic sourced from Japan. But there don't seem to be enough of me to make it worth the shipping costs.
 
That’s interesting about their coverage and market penetration. I couldn’t remember what other options there were. It doesn’t look like there’s many other legitimate options aside from Odyssey batteries (which are likely not a great fit in the 200 given our charging logic setups iirc).

Kind of like some of the fake variety we see everyday at the grocery store, etc.
I have a 4.5 year old Odyssey. So far so good. I tested it (the old school way) and it was still in great shape.
And you are spot on about the fake variety.

Just find the cheapest longest warrantied battery that you can easily replace at a nearby store.
 
I know I'm in the minority, but contrary to @bloc experience and more along the @04UZJ100 my OG panny only lasted about 3ish years before showing signs of sluggish starts. I kept it around for use for battery powered sprayers and it's on a trickle charger panel now, but trust it in my 200? Na.

Maybe my particular climate just eats batteries between the brutal summers and (intermittenly) cold winters? Zone 7 for all you planting nerds. Like I've said before, I consider batteries PM on cars I DON'T drive and they're on a 3 year timeline regardless of how they test. I have received enough of those frantic phone calls to call it as I see it.
 
Whatever replacement cycle you're on...

Don't ignore a battery that is showing symptoms of weakness. Once a lead acid batt deep cycles or are sluggish to start, it's time to change. A weak battery puts a lot of stress on the electrical system. Particularly the starter / solenoid, motors, relays as the components compensate by handling more current/amps that creates more heat and arc wear. Components that are far more expensive to replace than a simple starter battery.

A car that sits and doesn't get driven regularly wears lead acid batts the most. That and heat.

Batteries should be looked at as consumables.

And don't bother AGMs, that's a whole other can of worms.
 
The OEM Panny in my 2004 4Runner lasted 9 years, replaced when it did not start the 4.7 V8, requiring a jump. Its failure was sudden. Replaced with a DieHard Gold AGM. That battery was still in (8 years) when traded in for the LC. The Panny in my 2008 Tundra was replaced in 2018 due to slow starts. No failures, just sluggish. Replaced with a Bosch AGM. Didn't like that battery. Seemed like it had no reserve. The Panny in my 2021 LC is now 5 1/2 years old and still going strong.

The Varta AGM (H6) in my 2016 VW GTI Autobahn lasted about 4 years. Sudden failure and would not take a charge. Replaced with an Optima Yellow AGM (H7). Some six years and still going strong.

The Varta AGM (H8) in my 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo is the original. It still reads between 80%-90% on my tester. Knock on wood.... Its in the trunk though.

If I could source the Pannies, I would.
 
Back
Top Bottom