Battery life chart.....huh?

Discussion in 'General Tech' started by flintknapper, Aug 31, 2018.

1. flintknapper

flintknapper

Where do they come up with this stuff?

I've lived in the 'red' area of this chart for the last 50 years and don't find this information to be anything like true (battery life 2-3 years). I've had a number of battery types on various vehicles over the years and can't remember any that didn't last 4-5 years.

Had an Optima Red Top on my '70 model Bronco for 9 (count 'em 9) years before it died. An Orbital on my 80 Series for almost 8 years. I've had single battery set ups, dual battery set ups, winches, Aux lights, etc....

Surely...I haven't just been 'lucky'?

I had a 1969 Jaguar XKE roadster when I was in college that was kinda hard on batteries, but I don't think the alternator was all that great on it. Other than that...my batteries last longer than suggested in this chart:

batteries.jpg

2. LINUS

LINUS Waiting for the Great Pumpkin

Media:
    Albums:
    :meh:

I’ll say that the top “blue zone” is semi - right for wet sulfuric acid/lead plate construction batteries up here in coastal WA.

Optima is kinda a bad baseline as they were awesome initially, then turned to junk for awhile somewhere around Interstate either buying or dumping them (IDK - I’d heard the worst were some from a “made in Mexico” -era.

I had a early red-top in my 80 that lasted over 5yrs, and the replacement red didn’t last 2yrs (Mexico batch?) - so I jumped over to Odyssey.
    Also, we have a local store that just sells batteries & related crap - if a battery is over ~yr old since build date, you get a discount. So at least we can always get fresh(er) batteries when you go buy one.

Maybe they need to differentiate between cars primarily parked in enclosed garages, or left outside, IDK.

3. Irish Reiver

Irish Reiver SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Looks pretty accurate from my experience. I am in central Florida and in the 2 years I have been here I have had to replace my 2nd battery (interstate deep cycle) twice, my starter battery once (interstate) and also the battery in the wife's explorer which was 18months old. I know the warranty that Costco gives is different depending on where you live (red or blue on the map) but it can't make sense for manufacturers to keep making batteries that dont make it through the warranty.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.