Battery cable issues and a quick fix (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mike6158

Random Pixel Generator
Threads
Website
wildlightimagingstudio.com
I got side tracked from doing my fluid changes by by a problem with my negative battery lead, that left me stranded at the local convenience store until an older guy offered to jump the LC off :bang: He noticed the ground lead was all jacked up when he connected the little boost box that he used (need to find one of those).

But it's fixed now and I've got plenty of daylight left.

I need to figure out how to fix the positive terminal connection. It's got a bunch of "claptrap" hanging off of the terminal. I'm thinking about using some 1/4 thick x 1/2" wide copper strap, twisting it 90° in a vice, and drilling a 3/8" hole in each end so I can bolt it on to the battery terminal and then bolt the "factory crap" back on to the copper strap. We'll see...

Here's the before (after I removed it)

p2210486730-4.jpg

Here's the after. I "created" a solder connector by drilling a hole in the end of a crimp on connector. I then trimmed back some insulation, slid the wire into the connector, dropped in some liquid flux, and used a propane torch to solder the connector on. I shouldn't have been lazy and used the propane torch but it worked. I used some large heat shrink over the melted insulation o_O Had I hauled out my very large soldering iron I wouldn't have needed the heat shrink. I also double nutted the battery terminal so the terminal was tightened, wire connections installed, and the second nut tightened. The stuff I replaced was a kludgey mess. This should last better.

p2210485824-4.jpg

Nice job. I have also found using chassis grease on terminals works well for keeping corrosion in check.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom