Barney-Riley 8/19? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Barney-Riley 8/19

campfire said:
Anyone up for running the Carson River off Hwy 88 in Nor-Cal instead on Saturday?

Well thanks to Spressomon for meeting me in Markleeville and blazing trails to the banks of the Carson River. Of course when it came time to cross it, I loved his thinking, "I'll follow you anywhere". And with his 35's and 4.88's he wasn't kidding. It's a great run through the old mining areas that made the Sierra's what they are. The run is well marked with forest road numbers, but it would be advised to pick up a map with all the forest roads on it. It includes hill climbs...
spressoclimbir3.jpg

wonderful views of the Eastern Sierras
eastviewgz1.jpg

some rather narrow spots in the trees...
narrowtrailaj2.jpg

And of course, The Carson River. Always love bystanders saying "we've never seen it this high in August"
carsoncrossjz0.png

spressocrossds0.jpg

carsonlcso4.jpg

Thanks again Dan.

Last edited:
I'm trying this video link to if it will work. Spressomon & I came up to the river and this guy and his wife were debating on crossing. After the LandCruiser led the way, he followed the path. It's a little jerky.
Edit=Sorry it did not work, google is still proccesing it. I'll post it or another when I can.

Last edited:
just got back from a saturday run on this barney riley trail; me and my spotter dennis, who did an exceptional job, in my fj60. ran into alvado and friend (wife?) at a little snack bar near markleyville and then into fellow poster chicago halfway down to the carson river (he was coming back accompanied by someone in a built 40). nice to meet you guys in person...it was interesting to watch chicago tackle that last hill up and have to make a few attempts before actually conquering it. kind of made me wonder what i had in store on the way back out.

by the way, i was under the impression this trail was a walk in the park but maybe im a sissy or something becaise o thought it was surprisingly gnarly. we only made it down the hill due to the spotting skills of my navigator and coming back up wasnt all that bad. we only went as far as the discarded ramcharger before taking a break and owing to the relatively late hour (not to mention a diminishing desire to struggle over and around more rocks), deciding to head back.

therein lie some questions: does this trail strike anyone else running it lately as somewhat conservatively rated at the "1 to 2" (out of 5) or "4+" (out of 10) that i saw in various places? seemed to me the big sharp rocks combined with 6+ inches of loose dust combined with pretty steep grades made it a somewhat strenuous walk in the park if anything. not scary or anything, just kind of a lot of slow speed crawling and technical driving to prevent getting hung up on rocks on the trail...at least one site i read said any stock 4wd vehicle would have no problem on the trail and i just cant believe that actually describes the present reality.

can someone tell me what lies beyond the discarded ramcharger (fine for target practice)? are the two major downslope rock strewn sections you go through to get to the ramcharger the worst parts of the trail, or does it get worse later on (as some motorcyclists told us it did)? i might want to go back in a week or two if i think it doesnt get terribly more difficult. i was really set on making the river but thngs and time just didnt allow us to feel comfortable about continuing at the late hour.

i got to use my new rear arb locker to great effect but i still need some 33 or greater tires to really feel comfortable there. also got to use my rock sliders and heres a hint: forget about the rhino lining on the bars...the stuff separates as soon as a rock threatens it. i ripped up one pretty good but thats the way it goes...having to do it over again i would have saved my money on the rhino coat business and just gone with black spray paint. other than that the sliders saved some bodywork going down one of those downslopes so that practically paid for them right there.

anyway nice to meet you folks and really, what is an objective rating of this trail? i hate to think i might have to restrain myself to mall-crawling!

one love
jah bill

jah bill,
I would rate the trail's hardest parts (2) a 3 to 3.5 on a 5 scale. Campfire, last week, needed to use his winch up the snake turn uphill...but only to get about 3' further up the hill (he has 33", rr & c lock with stock running boards...which now have a couple souvenir scars ;) )...mine with 3x lock and 35" wasn't a problem...that was the only section he had slight difficulty due to the 's', big rocks & steep grade (he's a great driver too!).

I had just the top surface of my sliders Diamond coated and it has worked out great...especially when I need to use it as a step.

From the Rammed Charger you drop down to the Carson River...cross and then continue the loop. There are a few more challenging sections although I think the hardest part of the entire trail is that 's' uphill grind on the way back out...

Bill,

It was nice to meet you and Dennis.
My wife and I were on our way to Grover Hot Springs SP at Markleeville, when we decided to pull over at a convenience store (in the middle of nowhere) to buy some drinks.
To my pleasant surprise there was an very nicely kept FJ60 in the parking lot. So I pulled up next to it while my Monica (my wife) went in to buy the drinks. It had sliders, a bull bar, plus a winch. On the bullbar there was a Jamaican flag. Immediately in my head a flag went up, could this be Bill?

The owner of the vehicle approached me and we spoke for a couple of minutes before I gave him my card. I was abut to tell him about Mud when he saw my name and said "Alvaro I'm Bill". It was great.

I was very tempted to try to convince my wife into going with Bill and Dennis, but I had made plans with her and my head would have been on a silver platter if I dared mention this. Later she thank me for sticking with our original plan.

After we left Bill and Dennis, we headed for the hot springs. The place is really clean and the views are fantastic. There were only about 20 people there, which made it excellent. It felt like we had the place to ourselves.

We decided to take the long way home. Go down Hwy 88 to US395. Then north to Gardnerville and had dinner at a JT's Basque restaurant. We finally got home at 930pm. What a great day.

Regards

Alvaro

>ran into alvado and friend (wife?)

i must apologize twice...once for messing up your name (honest i know its alvaro) and once for forgetting your wifes name!

great to see you...i have to say i would have been a lot more confident with you out front or behind me on that trail, not that it was *that* bad or anything but you can tell just from the look of your 80 its meant for business and from what ive seen and heard youre a A class driver as well and of course it just inspires confidence to see someone doing something youre thinking about doing!

anyway glad you two had a great day; sure was nice up there! one of these weekends maybe we can do a ride together!

i was surprised you recognized a jamaican flag...most people see it and ask if im swiss or something!

one love
jah bill

jb welda said:
i must apologize twice...once for messing up your name (honest i know its alvaro) and once for forgetting your wifes name!

Bill,

No apologies needed. I've been to Jamaica once. I spent a couple of days working at The Gleaner. The oldest newspaper in English on the western hemisphere. Even though my time there was brief, I really liked the place.

Regards

Alvaro

JB,
I was wondering WHO you were, and I thought you mentioned you were a fellow mudder. It is great to put faces with names!
Beyond where we met you guyz, there was a rather tricky down hill section. It was actually harder (for me) going down, that going up.
That hill we met you at...kind of a funny story...In my rig, I have NO lockers, sliders, or basically anything else other than a 3in lift with 32's...so for me to get up those boulder sections on a steep grade, I have to get into the skinny pedal...with that being said. I was going a bit too quick, picking lines VERY RAPIDLY, and where I got hung up, I picked a BAAAAAD line. High centered on a rock stopped me dead in my tracks. I feared for my diff/ drive shaft when I hit. Fortunately I just hit the spring pack!
Mark (built 40 dude) came down and spotted me out...the line he recommended was SMOOTH as silk. I wouldnt have picked it in a million years just out of lack of experience!
Man, I cant wait to do the SOA and get my damn lockers already...then Ill really tear some stuff up:D
It was awsome to meet you. Wish we could have met up earlier.
As for the trail rating...I think it was a more difficult than I had heard. All in all, it wasnt too bad, just those couple of tricky sections that required full attention...I wouldnt even think of attempting that with my stock ford DD...NO WAY!
BTW, did you get to meet Alvaro's killer dog? He'll eat your hand off!:D

Chicago

alvarorb said:
Bill,

It was nice to meet you and Dennis.
My wife and I were on our way to Grover Hot Springs SP at Markleeville, when we decided to pull over at a convenience store (in the middle of nowhere) to buy some drinks.
To my pleasant surprise there was an very nicely kept FJ60 in the parking lot. So I pulled up next to it while my Monica (my wife) went in to buy the drinks. It had sliders, a bull bar, plus a winch. On the bullbar there was a Jamaican flag. Immediately in my head a flag went up, could this be Bill?

The owner of the vehicle approached me and we spoke for a couple of minutes before I gave him my card. I was abut to tell him about Mud when he saw my name and said "Alvaro I'm Bill". It was great.

I was very tempted to try to convince my wife into going with Bill and Dennis, but I had made plans with her and my head would have been on a silver platter if I dared mention this. Later she thank me for sticking with our original plan.

After we left Bill and Dennis, we headed for the hot springs. The place is really clean and the views are fantastic. There were only about 20 people there, which made it excellent. It felt like we had the place to ourselves.

We decided to take the long way home. Go down Hwy 88 to US395. Then north to Gardnerville and had dinner at a JT's Basque restaurant. We finally got home at 930pm. What a great day.

Regards

Alvaro

Alvaro,
It would have been nice to see you again. I hope you and your wife had a nice time at the springs! Sounds like you did!
Uncanny the circles this group brings us in.:beer: :D

Chicago

hi chicago, nice chatting to you too and i too wish we had met up a little earlier. one question, when you say:

>Beyond where we met you guyz, there was a rather tricky down
>hill section. It was actually harder (for me) going down, that
>going up.

do you mean the very next downhill with lots of rocks section, it was between where we met and the dead ramcharger? if so, and if thats the worst it gets (and it sounds like spressomon agrees too), then i think i will go back. i too had the hardest time going down, full brakes. but with only 31" tires and a rear locker i didnt have much trouble coming back up. i did stop right before where you got hung, but checked a line and followed it right up. like you say if i get some 33s or 35s, then i can *really* tear stuff up.

one the way down, through that next section after i talked to you, dennis spotted my front tire up onto a big rock and that went well but evidently when i came off it, it kicked the rock loose and it bound up on my rear wheel. me and dennis tried to rotate it off but werent having much luck when some dirt bikers were nice enough to pitch in and we got it off. if they hadnt we would have probably torn up my door even with the sliders on there, it was a pretty big rock. as it was we managed to get it clear but the down parts were pretty challenging. im short on experience too so everythings a challenge!

alvaro: interesting to hear you worked at the gleaner. youll have to fill me in on what you were doing there sometime! i will have to check out your doggie sometime, looks like its legend preceeds it!

:cheers:

one love
jah bill

Last edited:
Now I wanna go!!

(well, I always have...)

:cheers:

Bill,

This is a picture of my killer dog:

Image-4AFEB16B007E11D9.jpg

I'd like to go Barney Riley before the season is out. We just need to plan it a bit.

Regards

Alvaro

JB,
The only other "tricky" DH section was the next one after we talked to you...
I smacked the hell out of my cross member, probably, of that very same rock you got hung up on while going down. It looked REALLY tight if you went to the right, so I opted to go straight and OVER the boulders, my rear wheel slipped down to the right and WHAM...right on the right side of the cross member. Even my father in law winced when we hit that. Rusty TLC said it looked like I hit the rear diff, but there was no evidence of this.
I was most worried about coming back up, said section...
Coming back up, my axels got crossed up in the rut at the bottom, (one front wheel up, one rear wheel up), I got wheel slip and lost traction (of course...no locker). I backed up, chose the off camber line to KEEP traction and went up the rest without incident.
After Deer Valley/ Strawberry with the NorCal guyz and now the Barney Riley...I KNOW the mods that need to be done. LIFT (SOA), TIRES, LOCKERS, SLIDERS...and rear disc conversion!:D
People always say when you get your rig, ddrive it for a year and see what needs to be done...Ive done that.
Like you, Im new to the sport and I have a lot to learn. Its amazing to watch guyz thah know how to DRIVE!
All in all, the trail was a BLAST. When we got to the bottom, I was wishing we were camping. The bottom was ALL small boulder garden type stuff that get pretty grating.
I dont think youd have ANY problems if you went back all the way down. Id see if another rig would go with though in case something happens, but thats just me.

Chicago

alvarorb said:
Bill,

I'd like to go Barney Riley before the season is out. We just need to plan it a bit.

Regards

Alvaro

Alvaro,
Its BEAUTIFUL down by the river for camping. RustyTLC and Shawn camped the night there. I wish I would have done this.
BTW, your dog...FEROCIOUS!!!

Chicago

chicago said:
JB,
The only other "tricky" DH section was the next one after we talked to you...
I smacked the hell out of my cross member, probably, of that very same rock you got hung up on while going down. It looked REALLY tight if you went to the right, so I opted to go straight and OVER the boulders, my rear wheel slipped down to the right and WHAM...right on the right side of the cross member. Even my father in law winced when we hit that. Rusty TLC said it looked like I hit the rear diff, but there was no evidence of this.
I was most worried about coming back up, said section...
Coming back up, my axels got crossed up in the rut at the bottom, (one front wheel up, one rear wheel up), I got wheel slip and lost traction (of course...no locker). I backed up, chose the off camber line to KEEP traction and went up the rest without incident.
After Deer Valley/ Strawberry with the NorCal guyz and now the Barney Riley...I KNOW the mods that need to be done. LIFT (SOA), TIRES, LOCKERS, SLIDERS...and rear disc conversion!:D
People always say when you get your rig, ddrive it for a year and see what needs to be done...Ive done that.
Like you, Im new to the sport and I have a lot to learn. Its amazing to watch guyz thah know how to DRIVE!
All in all, the trail was a BLAST. When we got to the bottom, I was wishing we were camping. The bottom was ALL small boulder garden type stuff that get pretty grating.
I dont think youd have ANY problems if you went back all the way down. Id see if another rig would go with though in case something happens, but thats just me.

Chicago

Did you cross the Carson River at the bottom and continue on or did you just 180?

alvarorb said:
Bill,

Regards

Alvaro

It would be nice to weekend it and camp at the hot tubs...after the weather cools ;) ...the elevation is not that high and should be accessible into November or possibly later depending on the fall storm cycles.

yeah folks i would be in for a weekend up there sometime after labor day. im in london during november but sometime in sept would be ideal. that includes you too surfpig...in fact i wouldnt mind doing a day trip there again but maybe getting there a bit earlier this time (we got to the trailhead about 12:30 or so...morning isnt my favorite time im afraid but i can grit my teeth when i need to).

one love
jah bill

spressomon said:
Did you cross the Carson River at the bottom and continue on or did you just 180?

Naw,
We stopped and had lunch under the cotton woods.
Mark and I needed to get back since we were only doing the day trip. By the time we had lunch, it was 1:30, and making our way back UP with me in toe with a basically stock rig, we wanted to hit it in case it took a REALLY long time to get me out of there.
Rusty and bumbleB went across as they told it. Apparently the springs were quite crowded.

Chicago

i've run it a few times, and last time my buddy with his 96 stock 4-runner had no issues at all. i guess it depends on what you are interested in driving through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom