Bare metal primers/ paints (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone have some favourite flavours these days?
I used to always use the etching stuff from rondex, but it doesn't seem to work as well anymore. Probably due to my lack of surface prep and trying to use it when it's snowing :lol:

The zinc weld through isn't bad if you somehow manage to keep the nozzles from clogging before the can is half empty. Doesn't sand worth a s*** tho.

Tremclads new nozzles are fawking awful. 2' away and the spray pattern is the size of a quarter. :rolleyes:

@Gsb15 mentioned something called Transtar 4603 he likes I might look into.

Seems like the cheapest armor coat rattle cans at crappy tire work as well as anything fancy I've tried lately.

I've had fantastic luck with a Engine Enamel I buy from Lordco. I think it might have been Dupli-color. I've been using it on everything from my engine to brake calipers. Had no rust come through. Brake fluid, ATF, engine oil etc. does not seem to upset it in the least. No rust coming through. I've never used anything so good.

My engine and calipers still look like this after up to three years later (examples I could quickly come up with).

Some of these parts were just cleaned and painted. Others were sand blasted first. Nothing was primed. Smaller items I did heat cure in an oven. I'll try to confirm the exact paint...

IMG_20180310_110455183.jpg
IMG_20200212_142203042.jpg

Your oil pan is weird lookin man. :lol:

That paint sounds better than anything I've tried lately. I'll have to check it out.

Haha, weird oil pan is par for the course for the 2LTE I guess...lol.

I'll try to confirm exactly what the product was. One thing, is heat curing is the only way to have it harden properly quickly. Otherwise it needs about a week to cure properly at room temp.

It really does have an 'enamel' hardness to it once cured though. I've used a lot of different products over the years, and this one is a real winner.

I use anything by Proform for standard primers. Their weld through primers are good. I just started a 1 year test with the Canada Rust stuff
I posted on NEWS. So only time will tell now. It's going onto my trailer stake pockets which are bare metal.
Anything by Tremclad is officially on my garbage list. I just threw 1/2 a can out, clogged beyond hope. I always invert and spray out to clean too.

Cloverdale’s Maintenance & Marine Enamel. Self priming.
Just got another Gallon to paint my pickup truck.
you may need a commercial account to buy the oil based stuff now though.

I use the same as Jon, Pro form self etch (light coat)
High build, let it cure, sand, Proform top coat.

Nothing ruins a new paint job than two weeks under a tree full s***ty birds. I parked the Tundra
out back under a cedar tree. Expected the usual sticks and cedar type shedding but nothing
like the mess of bird s*** that I received. So scrubbed it, soaked and brushed it best I could and
signs of permanent markings all over it.
Too depressed to take pictures. My feeling is cut polish and a buffing compound with a proper
polisher. Do you think is the first solution? Or is there something else I can try?

Also a fellow gearhead from work used a liquid called ‘Evaporust’. Princess auto has it, Amazon,
Lee Valley. Apparently put an entire rusty engine in it, came out spotless. It’s also environmentally
safe, biodegradable. We seem to have hired some serious gear heads at work, sitting around in
hotels at night bullshitting just got more interesting.

I've stopped using normal bombs for anything i'd like to stay nice for more than a month. Almost anything in a spay can is junk. i do like the 2k epoxy stuff you can buy at lordco. It has a bladder inside you pierce from the bottom and mix in the 2nd part. Spendy but worth it if you have to use a bomb. I am using a new paint called "steel it" on my current build, I got a gallon of it for my HVLP and the owner also got a case of bombs for touch ups later. So far happy with it, seems pretty tough. It is conductive so you can weld through it. It finishes as a satin look if you lay it down heavy. Not sure of the colours, I've only used the black stuff.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom