Balance Tires with Beads (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anybody ever balanced their tires with beads? Can’t find a shop that will balance my tires. They are 38 x 15.50 x20.

B7E20EB7-E497-495F-AB72-00752158FDBF.jpeg

6C8F5568-572C-467C-89C6-6020512CB43E.jpeg

6A92C89E-BFD4-44DA-90FA-8920CA4FF750.jpeg

Have used beads with 3 different sets of tires with good and bad results. Don't use them but if you do balanced with normal weights and then add about 3 oz of beads to fine tune.

Have used beads with 3 different sets of tires with good and bad results. Don't use them but if you do balanced with normal weights and then add about 3 oz of beads to fine tune.

Thank you, but my problem is my tire is too big/wide for the newer balancing machines. Just about every shop I visited said it’s too big!!!

Golf balls? I know guys with huge tires have used them...but sure of success.

How on earth do you have that much rubber under an LX470!?

Is there a build thread?

Ask the same ? over in the 80’s forum and you will get some good info. I know guys that use the beads but I haven’t got 1st hand knowledge.

I've used Dynabeads on my 4runner with 37's and had great results with different types of large tires.. I just did the tire beads on my 100 series a couple months ago and had extremely poor results. After trying many different solutions (running less beads/more beads/balancing tires as well...) and came to the conclusion to just remove the beads all together and have the tire balanced normally on a balancing machine. I am running the FN wheels which require sticky wights, and now I am vibration free.

As far as what I learned, look inside the tire carcass and see if it's completely smooth. My General Grabber ATX's (285/70/17) have grooves which prevented the beads from moving like they should have and caused most of my problems. Inside of my crawler tires are much smoother which helps the beads flow into the balancing spots that they need to. I wouldn't recommend the tire beads as most people tend to have mixed results, and they are a pain if you ever need to fix a flat. If you can't find a tire machine taht works with your large tire you are not looking hard enough. Try 4wheelparts or other off road shops.:)

I've used Dynabeads on my 4runner with 37's and had great results with different types of large tires.. I just did the tire beads on my 100 series a couple months ago and had extremely poor results. After trying many different solutions (running less beads/more beads/balancing tires as well...) and came to the conclusion to just remove the beads all together and have the tire balanced normally on a balancing machine. I am running the FN wheels which require sticky wights, and now I am vibration free.

As far as what I learned, look inside the tire carcass and see if it's completely smooth. My General Grabber ATX's (285/70/17) have grooves which prevented the beads from moving like they should have and caused most of my problems. Inside of my crawler tires are much smoother which helps the beads flow into the balancing spots that they need to. I wouldn't recommend the tire beads as most people tend to have mixed results, and they are a pain if you ever need to fix a flat. If you can't find a tire machine taht works with your large tire you are not looking hard enough. Try 4wheelparts or other off road shops.:)

Thank you for the insights. I’ll keep looking.

I used airsoft bbs in a couple sets of 35s. One set it worked great, and another not great at all. Switched to regular bbs, and that was slightly better, but not perfect. It's kind of a fine tuning type of setup, and requires popping beads more than I have time for these days.

Do you have any 4x4 shops in your area? Surely they may know someone.

I knew a guy who always uses Airsoft pellets as well with really good results. I have heard that all beads work great if the tires are out of balance vertically, but you are basically screwed if you need horizontal balance.

This is best done with magic beans.

The beads are bunk. The tires are not round when rolling (They are flat on bottom). Beads work (Or appear to) because most tires will not be that badly out of balance (to where you will feel it) with no weights or effort anyway.

Beads or BBS will work best with narrower tires, especially when driving involves lots of turns like high speed mountain driving.

That has been my experience anyway, experimenting with beads for many years with off road, on road vehicle tires, also street bike and dirt bike tires.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom