Backup cam for 2004 GX 470 (non-nav) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After getting used to having a backup camera and Bluetooth in my last car, I’m looking for something I can install in the 2004 GX 470 (non-nav) I just purchased. My order of priorities is 1) backup camera, 2) Bluetooth audio, and 3) Apple CarPlay.

Has anyone found a solution they’ve been happy with? If so, I’m interested in your product recommendations (i.e. for the head unit and camera) and hearing about the install experience.

After a quick search, I found something on eBay that looked like it could work (see screenshots), but since I’m a novice, I wanted to solicit some feedback before I make the purchase. Thanks!

IMG_2619.png

IMG_2618.png

The backup camera mounting on these can be a bit tricky to have and look good. I made a custom bracket to mount this one just above the license plate, instead of over it, and it works pretty well. Otherwise, you can just use the plate mount that they come with, which will work fine but not look the best.

Regarding the head unit, those eBay Chinesium head units can be hit-or-miss at best and have nonexistant tech support. For a nav-equipped GX the Chinesium units are really your only option (I have a Phoenix PX6 and it can be buggy but works), but you are on your own for figuring it out.

For a novice DIY with a non-nav GX I'd really recommend getting everything through Crutchfield as they'll sell you the full install kit with the wiring harness, dash trim, antenna adapter, steering wheel button adapter, and install instructions, then give you tech support if needed. I used a Crutchfield kit on an Outback recently and it made the process pretty easy. I also used a lower-end Boss AA/Car Play head unit and it's been fine, although I would have used a nicer head unit if it had been my personal rig.

Last edited:
I installed a backup camera that convers the entire rear view mirror into the camera and has the added feature of recording front a rear aspects of a standard dash cam. Was fairly inexpensive and easy to install ( I have a NAV so I was limited ) . I have a different model ( previous version)
Amazon:
WOLFBOX G840S 12" 4K Mirror Dash Cam Backup Camera, 2160P Full HD Smart Rearview Mirror for Cars & Trucks, Front and Rear View Dual Cameras, Night Vision, Parking Assistance, Free 32GB Card & GPS https://a.co/d/cPyHPVp

I have a 2007 GX470 non-nav and am currently using the Joying branded android head unit. Joying 9” Android 10.0 Car Radio For 2004-2009 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado Support Carplay - https://www.joyingauto.com/joying-9-android-10-0-car-radio-for-2004-2009-toyota-land-cruiser-prado-support-carplay.html

They do have a newer model, but I have no experience with that one. It has been working great for me. The interface works quickly and smoothly with no apps crashing. I have tested out wireless android auto and it works fine. I have not tested out wireless apple carplay. Bluetooth audio works, but I don't use it much. I have a YouTube music subscription so I use run the native app on the head unit instead of via my phone.

Before this I was using a different branded android head unit I bought off AliExpress. It was extremely slow and eventually apps started crashing ans the Google play store app stopped working so I couldn't get app updates or install anything new.

This is the diy guide I used to install the head unit. Lexus GX470 - Android Headunit and Backup Camera Install - https://rskelton.com/GX470-Android-Headunit-Backup-Camera-Install/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom