Back up camera issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
IMG_5060.JPG
IMG_5061.JPG
IMG_5058.JPG
How to fix backup camera? Navigation and screen works fine just the backup camera is not. What could be the problem? Anyone has this issues on a '04LC? How did you fix this? I want to keep it stock so no after market options for me.

IMG_5059.JPG

I'm not sure exactly what the problem is with your truck but if you feel the need to replace the back up camera ECU (under the passenger seat) I have one from my truck that I took out I'd be willing to sell.

Id suggest making sure all connections are secure that you can easily access, first you can see how the tailgate opening and closing could have wiggled something loose at the camera itself. It's not your screen because everything else still works.

When I bought my 04 the touch screen worked fine for everything but the camera. In my case the display was black rather than white with black bars, but the "Check surroundings for safety" banner showed up as it does in yours. That suggested to me that the issue is not the control unit, since *something* was sending that signal to the screen. Apart from a broken wire, which seemed unlikely, that left the camera itself. Took it to a very good local car audio guy who confirmed my diagnosis and replaced the camera with an aftermarket unit for $120 including labor. Since the camera is barely noticeable I didn't care about staying stock. If you're dead set on stock, you can get an OEM camera (P/N 86790-60020) from McGeorge for $503.51. (List is $764.85.) And if in your case it also proves not to be the controller, be glad: McGeorge will sell you one of those for a mere $1,430.28.)

Last edited:
Any luck with finding a 6v camera and adapters?

I've searched Amazon and Ebay pretty far, but can't make find 'em. Plenty of 12v, advertised as 6v but in the details are 12v. Same problem as pstevens, blank screen.

Any luck with finding a 6v camera and adapters?

I've searched Amazon and Ebay pretty far, but can't make find 'em. Plenty of 12v, advertised as 6v but in the details are 12v. Same problem as pstevens, blank screen.
I haven't had time to check out yet. I might have to check if the camera is loose or something. If it needs replacement, then I would have to search for a new one.

Id suggest making sure all connections are secure that you can easily access, first you can see how the tailgate opening and closing could have wiggled something loose at the camera itself. It's not your screen because everything else still works.
Thank you. I will try to check the connections

I'm sorry, I've never looked for a 6v cam online.
YOu want to take the 6v (out of the television ecu) and change it to 12v. amazon has those for cheap probably.

All- taking a second pass at this posting, now it seems like I have an ECU problem and not camera issue. No warning message, just a blank screen. And here I was all set to replace camera; already tore the old one out.

Shows the value of this forum and just hearing about other people's ideas and experiences.

All- taking a second pass at this posting, now it seems like I have an ECU problem and not camera issue. No warning message, just a blank screen. And here I was all set to replace camera; already tore the old one out.

Shows the value of this forum and just hearing about other people's ideas and experiences.
Hey MV CZ! My screen just sstarted going black when I put it in reverse. Did you every diagnose this issue? What's the solution?

My back up camera doesn't work either . The screen doesn't even change when I reverse. Is there a fuse somewhere ? I checked all fuses a d didn't see one for camera

if the screen doesn't change at all I'd chase the tv ecu for signal when switching from P to R.
As you could see in the EWD attached there are multiple fuses involved and multiple ins and outs

Attachments

• tv ecu.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 107
Here are some plug-and-play OEM adapters and ECU plug-ins for Toyota/Lexus vehicles. No guesswork is needed.

if the screen doesn't change at all I'd chase the tv ecu for signal when switching from P to R.
As you could see in the EWD attached there are multiple fuses involved and multiple ins and outs
Actually, the screen is all black when I put it on reverse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom