Baby blue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruisedeisel

Toyota's for life
Threads
So this is what I get to start with. A 1980 beautiful BJ40. I bought it and it had not run in years. Pretty decent shape for a west coast cruiser. Fusible links all cut for some reason? And im new to 24 volts so FML.

IMG_0074[1].JPG

So this is what I get to start with. A 1980 beautiful BJ40. I bought it and it had not run in years. Pretty decent shape for a west coast cruiser. Fusible links all cut for some reason? And im new to 24 volts so FML.

View attachment 2924157
24 volts isn’t all that different from 12 volts, so I wouldn’t stress it. You’ll do fine. :D

Last edited:
24v is twice as much fun! And sometimes, twice as hard to find parts for... :-/

Looks like it could use one of those $74 headlight kits from Toyota. Even if you had to upgrade to 24v relays and bulbs you’d be $$$ ahead.

Looking forward to seeing your build. I’m starting to feel like I’m one of the only 40 series left here. Seapotato has his Frankencruiser… but I’m not sure it counts as a 40 series (although it’s as good as anything to call it). :D

Looks like it could use one of those $74 headlight kits from Toyota. Even if you had to upgrade to 24v relays and bulbs you’d be $$$ ahead.

Looking forward to seeing your build. I’m starting to feel like I’m one of the only 40 series left here. Seapotato has his Frankencruiser… but I’m not sure it counts as a 40 series (although it’s as good as anything to call it). :D
Bit judgy this morning are we? :rolleyes:

View attachment 2924157
Looks like fun. 24v isn't a big deal. Problem is almost always dip**** previous owners screwing things up.
They usually put in a stereo and don't do it right, or haywire the lights somehow.
1979/80 bj40 was my first cruiser. Technically still is my cruiser, it just spent ten years in a drawer :lol:

Let me know if you get stuck for any bits and pieces. I still have a bit of 40 stuff around.

Great score! Lots of people here to help you along with the electrical/mechanical. I think work will be in the body resto tho. I look forward to seeing what comes of it.

First task I cut off some nasty rust and ordered a new rear sill and sides from real steel cruisers. Hopefully its here sooner than later?

Thanks for all the support right off the start guys.

IMG_0078[1].JPG

I am a cheap duck so I like to use old filing cabinets for my steel. The have a great assortment of bends and flat sheets to utilize. Of course I will re-sand and mix up some short strand filler to finish of imperfections.

IMG_0098[1].JPG

IMG_0102[1].JPG

IMG_0106[1].JPG

I have had this cruiser for about a week but I am unemployed right now and just finished a big job. Soooo I have money and time to burn.

IMG_0114[1].JPG

IMG_0116[1].JPG

IMG_0120[1].JPG

IMG_0121[1].JPG

These doors dont have limiting straps some as we all know the hinges are easy to bend. With a minor bit of customizing my slide hammer I was able to correct the hinges.

IMG_0107[1].JPG

First task I cut off some nasty rust and ordered a new rear sill and sides from real steel cruisers. Hopefully its here sooner than later?

Thanks for all the support right off the start guys.

View attachment 2924837
What are new sides worth? Is it too late to split shipping costs?

Cabinets are a great idea.

I’ve been not able to work at my “previous full time” job for most of the last 12 years… so money isn’t abundant… nor time (due to health).

I foound some old stock yota hub cap 15x5.5 rims but some fella on Ih8mud told me the stock ones are still available from toyota. For under $400. They arrived a day after I ordered them, so unheard of from toyota. lol

Yes the original hub caps are in the mail too!!!

Does any one know the factory grey paint code for these rims?

IMG_0083[1].JPG

IMG_0099[1].JPG

What are new sides worth? Is it too late to split shipping costs?

Cabinets are a great idea.

I’ve been not able to work at my “previous full time” job for most of the last 12 years… so money isn’t abundant… nor time (due to health).
I just ordered the ambulance door quarters. They go from the rear sill to the top of tub. Im holding off on the tub sides as they look easy enough o recreate myself.

Time to buy a sewing machine a teach myself on you tube how to upholster seats.

IMG_0425[1].JPG

Bit judgy this morning are we? :rolleyes:

Looks like fun. 24v isn't a big deal. Problem is almost always dips*** previous owners screwing things up.
They usually put in a stereo and don't do it right, or haywire the lights somehow.
1979/80 bj40 was my first cruiser. Technically still is my cruiser, it just spent ten years in a drawer :lol:

Let me know if you get stuck for any bits and pieces. I still have a bit of 40 stuff around.
No offence intended…

Mine is definitely a Frankencruiser… lost count at about 36 40 series contributing parts to mine. Not to mention a Bel Air, a fleet side, a Scout II, a TJ (x2)… :}

I just finished replacing every brake part except for the brakes lines. New master, rear wheel cylinders, pads, shoes, calipers. Now im just waiting for the next person to knock on my door to help me bleed them.

Im not going for perfect thats for sure! But it wiill be a solid as close to stock as I can make it.

IMG_0080[1].JPG

Time to buy a sewing machine a teach myself on you tube how to upholster seats.

View attachment 2924867
If you need help beyond YouTube, I know industrial machines quite well. I gave them weekly maintenance in school and have used them for upholstery of wheelchair seating systems. Let me know.

I’ve also got some better upholstery set aside that’ll help for pattern making.

Jeeze, you don't screw around do you!!! I think we have a contender for 'fastest progressing project' ever here.

This rig fell into the right hands; that's for sure. :clap: Nice work.
He’s got me beat… I’m pushing 30+ years on mine. He’ll have more done in 30 days at this rate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom