Axle Swap (1998-1999 e-locker) into a 2000

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2000UZJ

Where's My Hammer?
Threads
I have been thinking about this for a while...

The internals of the 1998-1999 are different than the 2000 (axle shaft lengths, e-locker mount, etc). The axle is essentially the same throughout the years except for the brake lines (2000 had ATRAC, VSC, etc). If I sourced a rear axle from a (wrecked, parted out, etc) e-locker (1998-1999) how hard would it be to add the additional brake lines? I would add tabs, and reuse the "hubs" from my 2000 Axle and mount to the 98-99. I would love to have a rear locker and A-Trac, similar to the FJ Cruisers setup. I realize i can go ARB, however that's not in my budget. The e-locker is simply a 12V On/Off actuator, which means I just need to run a wire to the battery, a switch, and into the actuator...seems pretty easy right? The brakes and additional lines should be easy to retrofit as well, assuming the hub design is the same, unless I am overlooking a change in the axle designs.

So in short, can I retrofit a 98-99 e-locked axle into my 2000?

Can't wait to see what you figure out Nick. This is a good idea for those with 00-02's if it works out.

I have been thinking about this for a while...

The internals of the 1998-1999 are different than the 2000 (axle shaft lengths, e-locker mount, etc). The axle is essentially the same throughout the years except for the brake lines (2000 had ATRAC, VSC, etc). If I sourced a rear axle from a (wrecked, parted out, etc) e-locker (1998-1999) how hard would it be to add the additional brake lines? I would add tabs, and reuse the "hubs" from my 2000 Axle and mount to the 98-99. I would love to have a rear locker and A-Trac, similar to the FJ Cruisers setup. I realize i can go ARB, however that's not in my budget. The e-locker is simply a 12V On/Off actuator, which means I just need to run a wire to the battery, a switch, and into the actuator...seems pretty easy right? The brakes and additional lines should be easy to retrofit as well, assuming the hub design is the same, unless I am overlooking a change in the axle designs.

So in short, can I retrofit a 98-99 e-locked axle into my 2000?

Hmmm... So it sounds like someone is going to be back down at my house for an axle swap!

;)

:lol:

Hmmm... So it sounds like someone is going to be back down at my house for an axle swap!

;)

:lol:

Yep! I have a PM from a member with a axle that's willing to sell. Just need the technical questions answered!

This would be great news. Did Toyota offer A-TRAC and rear diff lock on the 100 at the same time in the over seas market? Maybe an FSM from 2000 might have some detials. I have a 1999 FSM that has all kinds of different non USA pieces listed.

Is there any difference between the drum brakes?

Why? you work the ATRAC well when I'm around.

If the LC elocker is anything like the tacoma then it is more than just an on off switch…

If I remember correctly theres like 6 wires coming off of my elocker…

Well, after looking into prices, and availability I think a ARB locker in the rear would be a better move. I would love to have the OEM rear locker (for no other reason, it would be unique and very cool). It sounds like a great idea, but looking at labor, cost, and time...ARB seems to win on all 3 points.

Well, after looking into prices, and availability I think a ARB locker in the rear would be a better move. I would love to have the OEM rear locker (for no other reason, it would be unique and very cool). It sounds like a great idea, but looking at labor, cost, and time...ARB seems to win on all 3 points.

But think of the cool factor! You can't put a price tag on something like this! /s

ARB is the right choice for what I hear. You will be happy with the results. Onur isn't it a bit stronger than the OEM e locker anyway?

I wouldn't rule out TJM locker. Would be worth calling JT to get the over/under on ARB vs TJM locker. Someone here just got a TJM... paflytyer?

I am getting very close to doing this swap. I found a local axle that is complete and straight. Price is unbelievable and I can't pass this opportunity up. I have studied the EWD for both 99 and 00 and can't quite figure out the rear locker wiring. It's a simple 12V 2 way actuator, but does the signal for the locker go through the ECU or is it a simple locked/unlocked signal? I plan on using the OEM locker switch, and a simple 12V power line to the locker actuator. As far as I can tell, the 1999 e-locked axle is the exact same as the 2000+ except for the internals. I should theoretically maintain all functions of the A-Trac/VSC while having a OEM locker. The ARB air locker or TJM would be the way to go, but for $400 I can't justify $2,000 for the ARB/TJM.

Does the actuator have a start/stop sensor? Do I need a reverse input to retract the actuator?

This will be awesome news. Will the VSC and A-ATRAC all still function? I would think yes because of the brake calipers, etc.

Please take notes/pictures or do a full step by step write up (please).

I need to start checking the wrecking yards. Just sold a rear locker switch for $30. Woops, should have kept that.

This will be awesome news. Will the VSC and A-ATRAC all still function? I would think yes because of the brake calipers, etc.

Please take notes/pictures or do a full step by step write up (please).

I need to start checking the wrecking yards. Just sold a rear locker switch for $30. Woops, should have kept that.

I'd assume so, the brake lines on the rear axles appear to be the same. I have pictures of both 00 and 99 rear axles and they appear to be the same. The only difference between the two is the electrical wiring (2000 has more), but that is separate in terms of the mechanical bits. See pictures below.

I wish I had seen that! I may add a simple 2 or 3 way switch on the dash for cost until I can secure a diff lock switch. I may even use the 80 Series if I can source one.

The first picture is the 1999 e-locked hub.
The second picture is the 2000+ with A-trac/VSC.

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom