Axle Clarifying Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1970. In another post it was recommended that I upgrade to a later year axle. I understand the post 79 would be better.

I sourced a set off a 1975 FJ40. It has disc brakes up front. I see conflicting info on these axles. Am I correct that they are large knuckle but course splined in that year? Would these axle be good enough or should I keep searching for post 79 axles?

I plan to upgrade the birfields if that helps inform your response.

1975 FJ40's came with drum brakes on them. Drum brakes have coarse spline birfs. Disc brake frt ends have fine spline birfs. If the 75 frt end has disc brakes on it, then someone already swapped it to to disc. You would have to measure the bolt pattern and stud diameters to confirm which knuckles you have. You should go to FAQ's scroll down to frt ends and read up on large and small pattern knuckles and long and shorts birfs. Then research lockouts. For strength you should look at alloy birfs and inner axles and possibly stronger knuckle studs. Alloy birfs come in the short version of birfs, they can be used on small pattern knuckles but assemble slightly different.

Check out this thread for front disc brake swap info:

9/1975 - 1/1979 could/should (not always) be disc brake, fine spline birf and small knuckles. If the axle is from an earlier model and had discs, it was converted, hopefully with Toyota parts.

Knuckle Specs here:

The seller confirmed they are actually off a 76

So that would be a standard 9/75-1/79, long fine spline birf, small pattern/stud knuckles. Run with it!

Kurt, you should explain "Long" so if the OP has not read the suggested article or has learned the differences, could save money & time for both sides.
Danmcph -- check out the tech article Kurt linked - the 76' birf & hub & lockout are longer than the pre disc 6 spline stuff & IIRC they are longer than the mini stuff and later year disc stuff as well. Just be aware that when purchasing parts you have a bit of a odd ball that the parts folks might not be aware of and try to sell LC parts without knowing they changed minor things randomly in some areas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom