Awning on stock rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just happened to see this:

Gamiviti makes a mount that works on factory rails. Then you can run just about anything.

I do. But I have DIY brackets. Works great. 4 bolts on 2 brackets. Instal under 2 min
IMG_20211125_145900.jpg

Are the stock rails strong enough to handle something like a 180 or 270 degree awning with some on these brackets? They don't appear to be. I guess one is limited to one of the small awnings.

I ran the large rhino rack batwing on the stock rails with custom brackets similar to pictured above. It was fine.

Gzilla makes a nice awning bracket for our OEM rails. I got a set of 3 and use it with my cheap Amazon ARB style awning. If you keep your cross rails in, its pretty stout.

20210425_152655.jpg

These stock mounts look shady.. wouldn't want to be under an open awning with a strong gust of wind with one of those holding it in place

Depending on the awning, the awning bars are designed to break before a big enough moment is imparted to the mount/rack.

The stock roof rack is pretty stout - you'd be surprised.

I used the ARB awning mounts and Yakima Mighty Mounts mounted to the factory crossbars

A7E071B6-B65C-4059-B690-1A0BA3E21399.jpeg

6BF6E797-BF16-42E6-BFAD-F4C20CAEECDB.jpeg

I just installed a Yakima Slim Shady on essentially stock cross rails. @kcjaz linked it above in the what have you done thread. Mounting works great and the awning seems nice.

Just looking at this...

I picked up the Rhino Sunseeker 2.5m Awning via Costco ($97.00 in Tigard, OR.) - I have the Factory roof/luggage on my '97 80 series. In fact, she's wholly stock except for the stereo.

I see that it's mentioned to use the GAMIVITI mounts or even a universal attachment.

Sorry if I'm being dumb here, but can I attach the awning to the rack already up there or do I need to buy a roof rack or bars? Or even just "U" clamps. I want to ensure the factory bars can handle the weight, whcih I'm sure they can.

There are a lot of awning posts but I haven't found one that uses factory bars except this one so I'm just looking for clarification.

Thanks in advance!

@DirtyPepper May help to post in the 80 section then. You don't need to buy anything else to get your awning mounted.

Your rack comes with L brackets that are pretty sturdy. They're long enough to attach to your OE stock crossbars by way of rivnuts drilled into said crossbars. That's about the simplest way to attach your awning with only the cost of the rivnuts and fastening hardware (<$20).

I have the Yakima slim shady awning that comes with hardware/clamps to connect to the OEM cross bars. Super easy to connect and take off. Looks like you can buy their mounts separately, parts are listed in the second link.

Much appreciated.
Didn't realize I was in the 200 section...I should pay attention ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom