Aux fog lights on grill? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys- newbie here coming out of an FJ (and 4runner) previously. Enjoying my time with the big boys so far.

So I really like the factory bumper and with baby #3 on the way- purchasing a new ARB bumper is down the road (side- what other brands are there besides ARB?)

I wanted to install a 6" or 7" amber fog lamp off the front grill. Besides a license plate bracket style (found on Amazon), what would be the other options that you've come across?

Thanks!

TJM is another alternative in bumpers.

I've got 2 Hella 4000's on the license plate bracket style...but I used a few more fasteners in the mount than it's designed for.

Last edited:
Hey guys- newbie here coming out of an FJ (and 4runner) previously. Enjoying my time with the big boys so far.

So I really like the factory bumper and with baby #3 on the way- purchasing a new ARB bumper is down the road (side- what other brands are there besides ARB?)

I wanted to install a 6" or 7" amber fog lamp off the front grill. Besides a license plate bracket style (found on Amazon), what would be the other options that you've come across?

Thanks!
Welcome to the big boys! Well for your side question TJM also makes a front bumper along with a couple other smaller companies I seen...

@WildYoats is running some lights off the front of his factory bumper, take a look at his build thread and see if that's what you're looking for...

I've got 2 Hella 400's on the license plate bracket style...but I used a few more fasteners in the mount than it's designed for.

Any special bracket you'd recommend besides what can be found on Amazon? I am comfortable doing some things to make it sturdy- looked at the my truck last night and think it will have the look I am going for.

I've got 2 Hella 400's on the license plate bracket style...but I used a few more fasteners in the mount than it's designed for.

Can you please post some pics - I am interested in this too!

Can you please post some pics - I am interested in this too!
Get to amazon and paste

Xprite Chrome Front Bumper License Plate Mounting Bracket Holder w/ Front Bull Bar Bumper for Off Road LED Work Light Bar

it onto the search bar. I'd give you a live link but it has my info crap. The only other possibility I've seen mounts to license plate bolts with what look like a 1 or 2 foot wide long horn chrome bars on either side...imo, both blingy and ugly. For the price, I'd figure I'd play with the only one I could find.

There are multiple sources for the bracket I bought...I'd avoid JDM toys.com as they're jerks to work with if you need to return an item.

Anyway...assume you'll need to drill more holes to mount the bracket...hanging the bracket with 2 Hella 4000's is pushing 10 pounds. I simply replaced any plastic fasteners with metal and drilled extra holes connecting with metal behind the bumper to make the bracket rigid. Bracket metal is tough, but no hassles with a drill press. OEM light mounting holes had to be moved apart as the light bases are just kissing the edge of the bracket. Once everything looked good on a dry fit, I shot umpteen coats of Magnetic Metallic Gray to match the body color.

I'll try to get some pics up by the weekend but right now a bunch of hay needs baling and moving. ;)

Steve

I can't help with a source for parts, but there is a 2016 I have seen in my neighborhood with round fogs (appear to be 6") integrated flush into the grill. If I didn't know better, I would think them to be factory.

I can't help with a source for parts, but there is a 2016 I have seen in my neighborhood with round fogs (appear to be 6") integrated flush into the grill. If I didn't know better, I would think them to be factory.
We need a pic of this:bounce:

I was actually wondering the other day about putting some behind the grill.

Please post if you get a chance to snap some

I was actually wondering the other day about putting some behind the grill.

Please post if you get a chance to snap some
Looking at my grill (2013 Cruiser) I'd say there are enough bars in the thing to cut a large amount of light from a source behind the grill.

I saw that option on ebay. Not sure about the bull bar because it basically puts your lights out front of the bumper (first to hit something). So far they all do so, I guess it's not much of a choice.

Behind the grill would be more for looks because I don't want to change that and the current bars will likely block light.

I think I may actually try to go directly into the bumper and fabricate something underneath for support. I have scrap aluminum bars from a solar installation I once did. I think I could fashion a full support under the bumper. The big issue is going to be finding something to bolt onto and reduce vibration- aluminum isn't the best for that.

I will report back- not jumping on this immediately but any advice would be appreciated.

That's either the same as, or a clone of the one I installed.

I saw that option on ebay. Not sure about the bull bar because it basically puts your lights out front of the bumper (first to hit something). So far they all do so, I guess it's not much of a choice.

Behind the grill would be more for looks because I don't want to change that and the current bars will likely block light.

I think I may actually try to go directly into the bumper and fabricate something underneath for support. I have scrap aluminum bars from a solar installation I once did. I think I could fashion a full support under the bumper. The big issue is going to be finding something to bolt onto and reduce vibration- aluminum isn't the best for that.

I will report back- not jumping on this immediately but any advice would be appreciated.
I thought about that for a while, but I've had driving or fogs out front in most vehicles I've owned. Sometimes one picks up a rock. Hella white covers are tough and feel like HDPE or similar; the clear covers are scratch-resistant polycarb.

The tube pre-runner (similar) light mount pictured earlier in this thread inspires me, but I've got no fabrication equipment. Looks to me like it may be bolted to the tow hook / tie down mounts on the bottom side.

Lord mounts or similar are possibilities if you have vibration.

KY Longhunter...here you go...

Pics of amazon generic license plate light mount here...https://goo.gl/photos/tc97D6xqUcJSyXzV6

I started with a pattern made from a milk carton...cut to fit mounting area. Taped it to the mount and front bumper, marked mounting hole positions with a magic marker a few times until lights would fit (they're deep). Upper horizontal surface of light mount area is 2 inches below the front edge of the bumper at the center. Patterns are quick and easy and prevent "aw shat's" later.
Hella's are wide enough that I drilled new holes on each side outboard of the oem (amazon) holes. I've still got enough room to mount a GE 4309 100 watt landing light under the mount in the center for floodlighting.

All fasteners through the front of the mount tie into metal behind the bumper. Sometimes easier to find metal behind the bumper and drill a starting hole through the mount with a 1/8 inch bit or similar. Fasteners are all 6 and 8 mm, except for the license plate itself. It uses 1/4-20 screws into rivnuts attached to the oem license mount behind the amazon mount. So 8 fasteners total mount the light mount to the bumper.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom