Auto Tranny HELP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok so I just purchased 87 truck with an auto tranny yuk but it looks good, anyways now I am having tranny trouble I think. When it is cold I start it put it in drive and it does not move but at a snails pace when I push in on the accelerater. I put it in low to get out of the driveway and drive it around in 2 for about 15 to 20 min then put it in drive and it works fine shifts ok not perfect I am sure but not sure what an auto tranny feels like as I have only driven manuel fo many years. Is there somthing I should know bout them or hopefully an easy fix not to expensive as work is slow for me and don't have the money since I just dumped my load in this thing. Any help or suggestion would be more than appreciated.

Kinda a dumb question - but have you checked the fluid level? Mine acted the same way when I forgot to top-off after replacing the solenoids.

cold fluid contracts, hot expands. That's why you check the levels with it hot.

It could be low... It won't hurt you one bit to drain it, remove the pan, then strainer. Clean it, replace it, and put the best ATF you can buy back in it.

Also, it's the f case, and not the H that I hate the design of so much. For a short time I had a 22RE AT 4WD 86ish on 33's(!) and that thing amazed me. It would even powerbrake. Not to mention I drove it the 1st few days I had it with the #4 injector wire off. Very surprising power to have 33's... Maybe it had 4:30's or 4:88's... IDK, but it was a nice truck even for an AT.

22R's never made good tow trucks. So once you get past the fact it'll never tow and adopt the mind set it will go 300,000 miles, it will get 15-20mpg doing it, and it's basically a street legal 4wheeler, you'll be better off.

poo poo the stuff we know sucks, not lump it in with the rest...

Last edited:
I am going to drop the pan and change the fluid next couple of days, yes checked fluid and its not bright red as it should be but not brown or black. The funny thing is that today got in it and drove it just like it should drive shifts fine did not even have to put it in low just drive and it went fine all day, I am confused :bang:thats the reason I like manuel trannys you at least know whats going on with them. I do like this truck kinda nice not to shift all the time just click from 2nd to drive with no clutch shifting thing got to have gears even though there is no clutch.

If you're talking about driving it like a manu-matic:D lol, I am guilty of that and do it all the time...

Plus, you can do this: Shift Controllers :grinpimp:

"RSS Controller
Electronic Programmed Shift Controller for manual shift control of your Aisin-Warner transmissions. This is a PLC that is programmed to shift your Aisin-Warner transmission using any type "momentary on" switches for shifting up and down and also TC lock up, will unlock TC when brake light switch is activated. Used in conjuction with the factory mechanical shifter."

Don't forget to blip! :cheers: My slow or stopping procedure looked like this;

4th to 3rd: Thumb, OD off... tiny blip...
3rd to 2nd: Thumb down the lock, pull shifter down into 2rd, pretty good blip... Wait till full stall, then

2nd to 1st: thumb down lock, pull down into 1st, damn good blip... :D

Sounds even better when you've got a turbo and down pipe only... trust me:D

Last edited:
Thats so awesome I have to get me one of those make me feel more comfortable when driving thanks for the info.:D

Ok so took it to aamco today for free diagnosis, ha ha all they could tell me was it was slipping in 2nd to 3rd I knew that much but its really not that noticible. Any ways so I asked how much to repair and he said 2500.00 I was not happy they are going to charge me 900 of that just to take it out and put it back in, 9.5 hrs he said, I have never done an automatic tranny is it really that hard looks as though it would be easier than a manuel. Does anybody know if this is a computer problem that these tranny have or if it is definitly internal any help would be wonderful or if anybody has a tranny siiting around they are not using or may just drive this one into the dirt and get a rebuilt one. Any suggestions on where to get a cheap one lol

I'm just getting into these trucks, coming from the volvo world. But with those cars the first thing you did when the auto was acting up was to just change the tranny fluid. It's a very inexpensive thing to do and for a fair amount of "silly" problems liek you've mentioned it would fix it.

Just my $0.02

Last edited:
Ok so took it to aamco today for free diagnosis, ha ha all they could tell me was it was slipping in 2nd to 3rd I knew that much but its really not that noticible. Any ways so I asked how much to repair and he said 2500.00 I was not happy they are going to charge me 900 of that just to take it out and put it back in, 9.5 hrs he said, I have never done an automatic tranny is it really that hard looks as though it would be easier than a manuel. Does anybody know if this is a computer problem that these tranny have or if it is definitly internal any help would be wonderful or if anybody has a tranny siiting around they are not using or may just drive this one into the dirt and get a rebuilt one. Any suggestions on where to get a cheap one lol

That's a rip off... Totally... 9.5 hours to take it out and put it in??? What are they going to do with the other 7 hours? No it's not hard to drop a tranny, the linkage on the auto is a little more complicated, and there's the fluid lines, but not 9.5 hours complicated...... If changing the fluid doesn't help, and you can't figure it out with the diagnostic sections in the FSM, then you need to decide if you want the auto, or if you want to swap to a manual. And go from there...

I have never done an automatic tranny is it really that hard looks as though it would be easier than a manuel. Does anybody know if this is a computer problem that these tranny have or if it is definitly internal any help would be wonderful or if anybody has a tranny siiting around they are not using or may just drive this one into the dirt and get a rebuilt one. Any suggestions on where to get a cheap one lol

And this was after you changed the fluid and cleaned the strainer?

That price makes me think they don't want to do it...

The thing about removing Auto's Vs. Manny's is they both have their easy parts and hard parts...

God I wish I had a camera, b/c I'd make a short vid on how I remove the torque converter (TC) from the flex plate...

You might think it's a Chevy and you just put a fly wheel turner and wrench on there and rotate and remove, but you'd be wrong. Toyota AT's are full circle.

I remove the starter and put the boxed end in through there, and softly rotate the crank with a large ratchet, ok torque wrench, until the box end wrench hits the dust shield that's between the engine and tranny on all Toyota's.

Then I turn the crank to break the bolt.

And when re assembling, ONE bolt will be different and have a small wedge collar on it. You HAVE TO use it 1st b/c it aligns and centers the rest of the torque converter bolts to the flex plate.

"Does anybody know if this is a computer problem that these tranny have"

Well, these trannys have a diagnostic like the engines have. So in my mind, once it was an electrical issue, the computer should see it and flash the OD light to let you know something's wrong.

thats what I told the guy at aamco I told them that if it takes that long for your techs to r and r then u need to fire them. I may pull it this weekend since it is a long weekend and take it to a shop as i have no experienc what so ever in transmission work whatso ever. I do not want to waste the money on filter and oil change as I have done some research and I think you are right it is a solinoid problem. I do not even have an od light on my dash so maybe a problem with the od as well found a shop that would pull and diagnose for 495 glad to see that there are some honest people left. That is fair to me he will pull it split it and diagnose then repair at additional cost and still install it back for that initial 495. Thank you all for your help and have a great memotial weekend.:cheers:

don't have that kind of money

I'm telling you... It's not as hard, time and money consuming as you think it is to change the fluid and clean the strainer...

There is no filter on this thing, just a small square off your screen door...

Warm it up, drain it and remove the pan... Take one tube out and remove the strainer, clean it with brake parts cleaner and put it back, then fill up with the BEST fluid you can buy...

I'm telling you, this could be the cheapest troubleshoot and FIX you might ever do in your life.

TONS of AT's show signs of "uh oh!" then white shirts panic and sell them as damaged to flippers, the flippers bring them home and change the fluid and more often then not, FIX the problem...

No tranny, no pulling, and no parts... Just try it...

It'll only cost you a case of fluid and a can of brake parts cleaner...

Or hell, just sell it to me for $300...

Can you get in your truck and thumb the OD off and on and see the OD OFF light on your dash light up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom