Australian-style Off-Road Radio Antennas (GMRS & CB & Ham) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I get that, but can I expect transmit range or reception to improve?

I want one mostly for the looks at this point. Don’t judge.

The 42" GMRS is ~6.6dBi, and yes you can definitely get a better "reach" both in reception and transmit. However, the advantage to these antennas is they are suspended inside foam inside a protective cover. It isolates the antenna (if it bumps up against a roofline, another vehicle, or another antenna) not to potentially cause harm to the radios. They are better performing in inclement weather <-- minor thing, but true. They don't bend when rocking back and forth off-road, a bent antenna causes a bit of chaos in transmitting.

But the biggest advantage is by all means the looks. Seriously, I love them.

The antenna arrived packed in a big PVC pipe. I will make some pictures after I finish some other repairs. The truck is covered in pollen at the moment.

The antenna looks like it's the Land Cruiser of antennas. Beefy and high quality.

I'm glad the antenna has a nice big spring. I do need to flex the antenna forward for the hood on the LX470 to clear it on the ARB light tab. I only need to flex it forward when I open the hood.

This is one of those ARB and LX470 grille compatibility issues.

Alamosa Antenna 42" GMRS is ~6.6dBi installed. Now on to running the cable through the firewall.

1617373063442.png

Great bit of kit. Testing out some prototype antenna mounts for bumpers without tabs. @Pskhaat was great to deal with, antenna came well packaged. Looking forward to testing this out on a long road trip we have coming up this year out west

7AB1034A-E4EA-4336-910C-CEDED8DAEC37.jpeg

Great bit of kit. Testing out some prototype antenna mounts for bumpers without tabs. @Pskhaat was great to deal with, antenna came well packaged. Looking forward to testing this out on a long road trip we have coming up this year out west

View attachment 2646732
Any info on the antenna mount? Looks great on the 4plus bumper.

View attachment 2646732

I'm game for one. I would like to scoot mine over a few inches.

Found a place to order Aussie license plates. Used my GMRS call sign. Should look good on the ARB

1618924424384.png

1618924549308.png

View attachment 2646732

Now that is a Bush Rig right there!!

I am a Ham, as well as a GMRS licensee, but CB (despite some shortcomings) is a very common band. As such, today we are releasing a CB version as well. It is important to note that 27MHz has a wavelength that well exceeds the physical length of these antennas, but appropriately bottom-loading we've been able to get a fairly performant antenna for the CB band! :) You still get all the goodness of the radome design.

The title of your article is a little triggering :rofl:

One more thing, if you are interested in GMRS at all, I put an article out in Overland Journal with hopefully a balanced review of the history and radio options:

Is there a way to purchase the edition and download it as a PDF?

Contributing editors dont generally make the titles. I didn't either. That said, what is your thought?

"Over and out" makes no sense but has permeated society due to it's use by Hollywood. In proper comms it's the equivalent of saying, "I'm awaiting your reply (over) and I'm done talking and won't be on comms anymore to receive further communication (out)".

"Over and out" makes no sense but has permeated society due to it's use by Hollywood. In proper comms it's the equivalent of saying, "I'm awaiting your reply (over) and I'm done talking and won't be on comms anymore to receive further communication (out)".
Agreed on this. It's prolific in marine radio too 😞. I will however say something like "Vessel ABC out ; Monitor One Six" but I'll more often than not get "Over and Out" 🧐🙄

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom