Australian 45 RHD owners Oversized Radiator 16400-61030 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

love2fly

Flying the Mountains of the NW
Threads
Just recently found my 1982 Australian RHD FJ45 needed a new radiator, so a post was put up on what would be the best aluminum radiator to consider buying in the USA for the old gal.
With the search on I found that most all radiators shown for 1970-1980 FJ40/45 listed had a width of 22" . That measurement is from the lip/edge of one side of the mount brace to the outside edge of the other sides mount brace on the radiator. Not from center line of the mounting holes, edge to edge. This is what holds the radiator in place in the core support with 4 or so bolts on each side.
The Champion C-180 and the CSF-180 were the ones I was considering but after I did a bit of measuring of the radiator that is in place now found out that the 22" in width radiators sold would not be able to be mounted or the holes on the new radiators would not reach the mount holes on the core support (cradle).
For an Australian 1982 FJ45 the book calls for a part number 16400-49356. The part number in the picture below is the old PN. The Champion and CSF listings referrer to the part number as a part to replace the original equipment.
With a few more measurements I found that the radiators core on the 82 was also larger (see picture). I measured a 1981 FJ40 (stock USA) and it's core support was 22" across that was good for the USA sold radiator.
So either the radiator/core support in the 1982 is not correct, or the Australian FJ45 and possibly Troopy's in the 1980's were stocked with a larger radiator for the high temps of the outback.
I am interested in if this maybe true that the USA models were with a 22" wide core support and smaller radiator and the Australian rigs had a much wider support and lager radiator installed or maybe it was an option at the time.

Out of curiosity I would like to ask if any other owner of a FJ45 of the RHD Australian models or others would take a moment and measure the core support and the core width in your rig and maybe post your finding, maybe I just have a strange setup from years ago.
By the way I have contacted Toyota with the part number for a radiator and it is still available but with a request to let me know what the width is of the radiators they sell as a replacement, might be 22" USA ??

Thanks guys

AustralianFlag.jpg

champ radiator.jpg

20211127_160836.jpg

I have an 83 troopy and my factory radiator was wider than what I could find to replace it.

I just ended up putting the radiator from a standard in USA fj40 Toyota radiator using a mid 1970s radiator cradle i had sitting around.

I kept my old one to get a new core installed and put it all back to factory. However it’s about $300 more to rebuild than to buy a new one…I’ll try to respond back with the measurements when I go to storage in the next few days if no one else responds

Last edited:
I appreciate your reply, I am starting to believe that Toyota did put a lager core radiator in at least the OZ 45s and maybe the 40s and as you say possibly the Troopy while not having a good stock number for them. I can't afford a used support as I see them going for around $300. I will bet yours is 23.5" and the core size is larger. Will be interesting to know.
I call a dealer to ask if they had that stock number on hand and he said yes so I said I would b e interested in buying it for the $230 plus $30 shipping if you would confirm the measurement, but was told they don't do that and if it was the wrong size and not installed I can ship it back for a refund plus a 20% restocking fee, I pay the shipping. Talk about a screwed up system. Pretty much told them they can keep the radiator.
Thanks Redgrrr :hmm:

Hey Wihitey45, the diesel fuel radiator core support was something that came across my path while looking into this. That looks to be the same width as I have yet my engine is a 2F. What is the core width in your HJ47 radiator. My support could be a diesel support but the radiator I have is a petrol model and fits perfect into the support so still a little confused. Is the 40 a USA model?
Thanks that is interesting information.

Loks as one of the boy a few years back ran into the same problem.

Okay after days of searching for a replacement radiator for my 1982 FJ45 from OZ, seems as like most parts for the old rigs they are pretty much gone.
I found that the radiator I have is what is called an Oversized radiator part number 16400-61030. The 16400-61020 the has a new number of 16400-493556 is for mostly the FJ40 series with the 22" core supports sold just about everywhere.
I could not find any picture dimensions for 16400-61030 but what was shown in written dimensions pretty much fit what I was looking for.
I did find one radiator in OZ with that PN for $600 and no price on shipping. Also that part number comes up as a Forklift radiator replacement but with very little detail and at $800 plus.
So the conclusion as with most older parts is fix what you have or adapt what you can. I am now going to see if I can have this 16400-61030 oversized radiator completely rebuilt before the online replacement radiators take over completely and there are no more radiator shops left, I guess its coming.
The picture here shows several part numbers radiators for the FJ45s of different years so maybe this posting will be a help to us 45 owners.

Cheers :beer:
toy rad.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom