Audio Style Battery Terminals (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Currently researching some solutions for a dual batt set-up and stereo install.

Been racking my brain on which dual batt system to go with and with my -1:banana: electrical skill level am leaning towards the National Luna system (Components)

Question: One thing that am curious about is why don't more people use audio style battery terminals. Is there any cons to using them? Only reason I'm considering them is making a clean set-up with clean radiuses. Just a habit from work that I'd like to carry over to my rig.

These are the ones I'm looking at
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_68647_Kicker-BT4.html
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_72370_NVX-XBTPN08.html

Would like to hear your thoughts, besides they are $$

They are double to three times the price of the typical aftermarket terminal used, usually the military type terminal.

db4.jpg

That said, this is not exactly a high ticket item, even for the audio ones. I'm not familiar with them, but looks like a robust design, which is the key point. Can it handle an amp-sucking winch? Then it's good.

On the 80, there are some who still run a Toyota OEM set-up on the positive post because of the associated fusible links. But that's really something that's a personal preference, not necessarily that it's better.

I had the type of stereo terminals on my battery in an old coupe with a big stereo - while they're cool to install & the connections are easy to make, so is just crimping rings & using either the factory or mil-spec, as already stated.

And heaven help you when you crack or lose the positive term cover - the Monster one I had was so big you near always would short the terminal against the body either going at it with the jumper cable / charger clamp or swivel motion to loosen it.

I won't use one again, but that's me - YMMV if you're inclined to buy them.

I use the mil-spec and love them. The audio variety are pricey (which never stops us in most cases) but if they can handle it, as @greentruck stated, and you like/want them then go for it.

Is there any cons to using them?
They will eventually fail. The set-screw termination allows the wire to oxidize and heat cycles will cause the screws to loosen, potentially causing arcing and fire.

They look cool, but like other I'm putting the mil style terminals on mine. They just showed up. Need to borrow a friends crimp tool.

I've bought some of the military style terminals off of amazon (cheap) and had them fail. I replaced them with brass marine style terminals from the local auto shop and haven't had any more issues.

Just be sure you are getting quality military terminals, where is everyone getting theirs?

I hate those damn things, have removed and tossed a bunch of them. As mentioned, the wire connections tend to come loose, also the "hard" battery connection taper tends to come loose, work off the terminal, especially on AGM batteries with harder terminals.

Never had a failure or loosening with the military style terminals.

I would order or buy quality ones, though, but it doesn't surprise something as simple as this is one more reason not to buy something at Amazon...:rimshot:

I hate those damn things, have removed and tossed a bunch of them. As mentioned, the wire connections tend to come loose, also the "hard" battery connection taper tends to come loose, work off the terminal, especially on AGM batteries with harder terminals.
The mil style ones or the one the OP was inquiring about?

Never had a failure or loosening with the military style terminals.

I would order or buy quality ones, though, but it doesn't surprise something as simple as this is one more reason not to buy something at Amazon...:rimshot:
Any recommendations? I have a mess of aux stuff I'm trying to simplify. I was planning on using the mil style terminals and run to aux fuse box to clean up some wiring between, aux lights, ham radio, cb, sub/amp.

I've had great luck with the military terminals and have used the Amazon ones and the ones from Napa. Both are high quality and work perfectly with no fuss.

Any other aftermarket terminal is junk, and electrical parts from audio shops, who should know good from bad, is especially junk.

Any recommendations? I have a mess of aux stuff I'm trying to simplify. I was planning on using the mil style terminals and run to aux fuse box to clean up some wiring between, aux lights, ham radio, cb, sub/amp.

Any good marine shop usually has them, as they frequently used on boats. NAPA and other parts houses should have them available to order, if not in-house already. Looking to see where I bought mine in the big ol' stack of receipts right now, so may have more...

Got much of my battery install stuff from John Drake Services in Long Beach, CA. In 2010, the mil terminals were $4.50 each.

If you need lugs, any welding shop can help. You'll also want to pick up one of these...
Lenco840SwedgeCrimper1.jpg

Last edited:

I'm not a big fan of the mil style terminals, big bulky, etc, but they work, prefer the factory positive term. I prefer to keep electrical simple, if there has to be a rats nest at the positive term, have brought a single wire off to one of these with good results. http://www.amazon.com/Positive-Insu...921033&sr=1-3&keywords=battery+power+terminal

I use brass marine terminals. Toss the wing nut, and replace with a regular nut. Then I use compression type ring terminals, from Borg Warner (part number BH156), to finish off my cable ends. Very snug fit, and no corrosion issues. (To be fair, I live in central California. What's corrosion?)

I currently have a group 27 deep cycle battery, so I am using the post connections for my winch.

Thanks folks. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom