Attic Rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After reading this thread: https://forum.ih8mud.com/az-copper-state-cruisers/623800-mad-attic-rack.html I knew I had to make one. I picked up a 2x6ft. piece of chrome "Gridwall" at the local thrift for $15. Cut it dowm to 2x4', and saved the rest for later.

Sitting on top of the local welding shop's scrap bin was the perfect piece of light gauge angle, already powdercoated black! Ordered 6x25mm stainless buttonhead allen bolts from fleabay.

Cut up the angle per the above thread, except I drilled small holes for some 1/8" inch (yes 1/8") cable clamps I had layin' around. They go over the 1/4" rod perfectly. Ground the saddles down, to make a flat double washer.

Bolt up was straightforward, and I cut up the scrap piece into a couple of shelf ends, that just slip over the front and rear double rails, when needed. Labor: maybe 4 hrs. Cost: $20

The only drawback to the 80 series (for me) has always been storage that is out of the way, and organizable. This will fill the bill nicely.:clap:

IMG_2758.JPG

IMG_2759.JPG

IMG_2760.JPG

IMG_2761.JPG

IMG_2762.JPG

Last edited:
Couple more pics...

IMG_2763.JPG

IMG_2764.JPG

IMG_2766.JPG

IMG_2767.JPG

Sweet! :clap:

Think I just found my next mod right there! Nice!:cheers:

BTW, I backed up the bracket with a couple washers to hold it off the headliner.

That's a nice, neat mod -- and very useful.

Here's my alternative version of the basic idea, using a more "flexible" approach. Essentially, it's one of those nets made to hold cargo down in a roof rack. I installed a shock cord around the perimeter of the ceiling to hold up curtains for when we're using the sleeper. The net is hung from that cord, which is woven around the grab handles, etc.

It's easy to stuff things up there. I set it up so it sits forward, over the second row section. I need the extra height in the rear of the sun-roof equipped trucks to sit up, but it could just as easily be located over the cargo area, depending on your needs.

CurtainNet6.jpg

CurtainNet5.jpg

That's a nice, neat mod -- and very useful.

Here's my alternative version of the basic idea, using a more "flexible" approach. Essentially, it's one of those nets made to hold cargo down in a roof rack. I installed a shock cord around the perimeter of the ceiling to hold up curtains for when we're using the sleeper. The net is hung from that cord, which is woven around the grab handles, etc.

It's easy to stuff things up there. I set it up so it sits forward, over the second row section. I need the extra height in the rear of the sun-roof equipped trucks to sit up, but it could just as easily be located over the cargo area, depending on your needs.

that's exactly what I want to do, thanks for posting

Wwwooooooo...........I really like the flexible version! Gonna have to come up with something like it, great for all the soft/light goods like extra jacket, hats, gloves......:clap::bounce::bounce2:

Glad y'all found my variant useful. Since we use the truck as a sleeper, it's good to have a way to get the bedding up and aired out, besides stuffing jackets, etc up there.

I think the web was by Thule, designed to fit their roof racks, but I've seen similar webs offered by others. I got the shockcord from Grainger, IIRC.

Glad y'all found my variant useful. Since we use the truck as a sleeper, it's good to have a way to get the bedding up and aired out, besides stuffing jackets, etc up there.

I think the web was by Thule, designed to fit their roof racks, but I've seen similar webs offered by others. I got the shockcord from Grainger, IIRC.

Couple of other sources for shockcord/bungee cord

http://www.innermountainoutfitters.com/bungee-cord/

http://www.karstsports.com/bungeecord.html

Very nice work, and the chrome adds an element of bling! If you sleep in your truck, having an attic overhead is a great place to hang stuff out of the way, but have it easily accessible.

I went with a Raingler cargo netting, which is very strong. It can easily be loosened to stuff clothing sleeping bags, bedding, etc, and then cinched up to hold it tight.

cargo net rear.jpg

I like that cargo barrier use as well. Details on how you did it and how your retaining it would be appreciated.

The OP scored with a $20 attic setup - the cargo netting is significantly pricier:

Raingler model RPB is $90 per net, and I used 2 for my attic setup.
The vertical net is specific to the 80 series, model 80BN. This is $185.

Raingler has added more universal fit options since I bought mine, so you may find a better configuration. Check them out at http://raingler.com/index.html

The quality of the webbing, stitching, and buckles is top notch. There are enough strap/buckles built in to the net that you can secure to the existing grab handles. You are limited in attic coverage to the location of the grab handles. With the rigid metal setup you can extend beyond the grab handles.

Wow great work and great idea whoever thought of it

The first person I know of running an attic rack was "Rudster". He told me he "sampled" his version using the idea he got from a woman who had one in her Nissan. He originally used hose clamps to mount the rack right to the 3rd row handles. I thought making custom brackets would be a nice upgrade to an already cool accessory.

I like the flexible versions too! Very cool idea, indeed!!

That looks like the best solution. I wonder if these can be sourced somewhere for less $ ?
Very nice work, and the chrome adds an element of bling! If you sleep in your truck, having an attic overhead is a great place to hang stuff out of the way, but have it easily accessible.

I went with a Raingler cargo netting, which is very strong. It can easily be loosened to stuff clothing sleeping bags, bedding, etc, and then cinched up to hold it tight.

That looks like the best solution. I wonder if these can be sourced somewhere for less $ ?

Here is a smaller one designed for a tailgate that you could modify nicely; 16"x50"
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-WEBBING-TAILGATE-REAR-END-NET-FOR-PICK-UP-50-X16-W-4-HOOKS-/271146808191?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f219bf37f&vxp=mtr#ht_80wt_1141

another using window nets for race cars; 18"x24" 2 nets that size(bunch of colors available if you wanted other than black)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Black-Window-Safety-Nets-Ribbon-Style-1-Nylon-Webbing-24-x18-/120929245636?pt=Race_Car_Parts&hash=item1c27f1d9c4&vxp=mtr#ht_1373wt_932

One more with adjustable tiedowns built in already; 21"x41"
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-21-x-41-Cargo-Nets-for-Trailers-1-Nylon-Webbing-w-Hooks-Adjust-Buckles-/271032547789?hash=item3f1acc79cd#ht_202wt_1170

Didn't mean to thread hi-jack there. I dig the shelf especially the wire one. I can't use it for my rig though, i built my boxes a little too tall on purpose. They are both stuffed with a camp kitchen/first aid/tools/spare parts/recovery gear/power inverter, etc.

Once we roll out the bed there isn't much room to get in or out unfortunately. Here is a shot of my wife and a friend as we set camp on the Rubicon.
IMG_1495_zps0283440d.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom