Atrac not engaging help? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MACKSDAD

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey guys I have an 01 lc and for the life of me can not get the tires to slip on anything. It def feels like 4wd is being engaged but still haven’t heard the atrac “beep” or seen the light. I know the light works because it comes on when I start the truck but my question is aside from crawling up a mountain are there any surefire ways to test my atrac system or trigger it manually? I want to know that it works so I don’t have to find out the hard way. Thanks boys.

lift a tire

You live in Nor Cal. There should be plenty of places off-road and close to test your rig

Is there anything that would cause atrac not to come on?

Is there anything that would cause atrac not to come on?

A tire not slipping?

From memory, VSC beeps, ATRAC doesn't.

Maybe a little excessive, but a set of these rollers?

ATRAC is computer controlled and doesn't use any special hardware. If your ABS works, ATRAC should work.

Just because I took it up a few steep muddy slopes today in hopes of getting the system to trigger and not even a light comes on? Does it need to be in low? I’m wondering how it works for the rest of you ? When do you typically see the active trac light come on? Does it have to be a very significant slip? Are there any reasons why it wouldn’t go on? I have def heard vsc beep when taking a tight turn at high speed but still haven’t seen the atrac light ever come on aside from start up.

Atrac won't beep unless the system is overheating iirc. I don't recall the light coming on but i can definately tell when it's working. Usually in muddy or snowy conditions. You'll start spinning a tire and you'll feel it engage and kinda pull you forward in an almost jerky kinda way. It seems kinda slow to kick in at first but then it keeps alternating as wheels slip until you get through. You have to give it even consistent throttle or it doesn't work so well. There's a great thread on mud on how to use atrac. Includes videos.

Thread 'a-trac 101' a-trac 101 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/a-trac-101.537946/

Atrac won't beep unless the system is overheating iirc. I don't recall the light coming on but i can definately tell when it's working. Usually in muddy or snowy conditions. You'll start spinning a tire and you'll feel it engage and kinda pull you forward in an almost jerky kinda way. It seems kinda slow to kick in at first but then it keeps alternating as wheels slip until you get through. You have to give it even consistent throttle or it doesn't work so well. There's a great thread on mud on how to use atrac. Includes videos.

Thread 'a-trac 101' a-trac 101 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/a-trac-101.537946/
So you haven’t had the light come on either?

Honestly Sounds like you haven’t really put it on anything difficult yet. You have big all terrains and If all four tires have traction then atrac won’t come on. If you don’t hear the fast clicking then it’s not difficult enough. You need to find a rutted dirt road and really try to get stuck. Now, If you’re in spots where tires are spinning and no light or clicky clacky from atrac, then you have a problem. My truck never engages atrac unless we are on harder trails. Fire roads won’t do it.

Honestly Sounds like you haven’t really put it on anything difficult yet. You have big all terrains and If all four tires have traction then atrac won’t come on. If you don’t hear the fast clicking then it’s not difficult enough. You need to find a rutted dirt road and really try to get stuck. Now, If you’re in spots where tires are spinning and no light or clicky clacky from atrac, then you have a problem. My truck never engages atrac unless we are on harder trails. Fire roads won’t do it.
I’m going to try & put this thing in a ****ing lake tomorrow if I can and if atrac doesn’t engage then I don’t know what will😂I’ve been pleasantly surprised with these cars as I took it out and threw a few rocky/muddy s*** water crossings and did experience the “jerky” kind of pull a few runs but didn’t get the light to come on maybe it wasn’t slipping long enough.

So you haven’t had the light come on either?
suspension in the 100 Series is limited in front wheel travel and total articulation (as we all know). If the system is working, you will feel it as feed back through the brake pedal. Also, the ABS unit under the hood will be "clicking / clunking" and the A-TRAC light will flash on your instrument panel. The system works the brakes and ABS unit overtime, it DOES have a time limit, it WILL shutoff, and you WILL loose any aids assisting you while off-camber. . A-TRAC is limited to 8-13 seconds of constant operation. After that the system will sound beeps (3 seconds to shutting down) and you will need to wait for the system to cool down.
That's from that link. The light does flash. I don't recall it flashing but i guess it does.

I noticed ATRAC stopped working for me with CDL engaged. When I lock the CDL, the VSC/TRAC light would come on (not normal according to the owners manual) along with VSC off light (normal). Both lights would also stay on after unlocking the CDL. Techstream gave me a C1340 code - open circuit in CDL signal.

I cleared the code and now I only get the VSC off light when locking the CDL, and turns off when unlocking. Seems like it's working appropriately now. Ordered a new CDL switch just in case.

Will have to go out and test it to make sure that I have ATRAC with the CDL locked.

I noticed ATRAC stopped working for me with CDL engaged. When I lock the CDL, the VSC/TRAC light would come on (not normal according to the owners manual) along with VSC off light (normal). Both lights would also stay on after unlocking the CDL. Techstream gave me a C1340 code - open circuit in CDL signal.

I cleared the code and now I only get the VSC off light when locking the CDL, and turns off when unlocking. Seems like it's working appropriately now. Ordered a new CDL switch just in case.

Will have to go out and test it to make sure that I have ATRAC with the CDL locked.
This may have happened to me recently which resulted in a very fast spinning front passenger wheel and a broken diff. I believe both VSC and TRAC lights were on but already due to a 430 code which I believe turns on those lights so I'm not sure if locking the CDL resulted in turning off ATRAC or not. The tire spun very fast and slammed down and stopped breaking my front diff. Perhaps I should have reset the code first to get the lights off. Anyone heard of a 420 or 430 code shutting off TRAC? I was under the impression the light on was just a visual code and not actually turning off TRAC.

Sounds like a good problem to have.
It is , only way I Got it to engage was when I buried it to the frame in mud 😂 atrac didn’t do much here but I found out it works👍🏽
D5BE5841-B570-46AB-8F5E-3DB789712315.jpeg

11B82B2B-5676-487A-91AE-441BE92E6AF2.jpeg

I am having this same issue. Did you resolve? If so what was the solution?

CDL switch was bad. Bought the following part from Amazon for 15$. Problem solved.

Beck/Arnley 201-1788 Back-Up Switch​

Thank you. I swapped out the switch (PIA to do but not impossible) and my CDL does turn on and off properly and no more C1340. I will have to take it off road to test out that A-TRAC is working but at least it did resolve some of the other issues (no longer need to turn off to get rid of other lights and only the VSC Off light turns on).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom