Are you using your 100 ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

David*BJ70

Looking forward to reach the end of the world
Threads
I have been in the Land Cruiser world since 2003. Former owner of a BJ60 and a BJ70, still owner of a BJ42, a 60 with a 12ht and since 2019, an HDJ100.

I have been doing “intensely” overland since 2015, previously with my 60 and since 2019, with my 100.

As I was chatting with another Cruiserhead friend (they are rare in eastern Canada) about the information and opinion gleaned here and there on Ih8mud, we came, perhaps, to the conclusion that some advice, good advice it should be pointed out, did not always come from people who put their truck in the same situation as us (do not be outraged).

Specifically, I do a lot of back country roads which are very difficult on the suspension and the accessories. For example, the Trans-Taiga, the Labrador loop, now paved but previously very rough. Otherwise, there is a number of rutted forest paths while we are driving at high speed. My 100 weight 7300 pounds.

Doing these roads with 4runners and Tacomas, I can however enjoy the fact that my components are more durable and stronger (hail Landcruiser !)

Still, I have already snapped 6 roof supports (Count them, it's 6/6) - (for my Alucab) from a reputable company when apparently this had not happened to anyone yet. In short, I put my truck to the test.

How do you use your Land Cruiser? Do you consider yourself demanding with your vehicle?

A30F5087-8458-4206-8019-4D0A381862C4.jpeg

Last edited:
OK, I'll play! My 100 is an inefficient combination of hunting rig, occasional wheeler/overland vehicle, and post-COVID "daily" driver (i.e. working from home since March 2020). It does all three things very well but it is not optimized for any of them. A month ago, I crossed Black Bear Pass in CO and ran Hell's Revenge in Moab. Two weeks ago, I carried 2,000 lbs. of corn over a dirt road back to the ranch, and yesterday I drove my son to a soccer tournament in it. She's a heavy beast because of all the armor and accessories and likes to eat brakes (likely because of the way I drive). Last year I estimated 20% of all its miles have been on dirt roads, and it showed until a repaint in 2018. Here's the old girl in all her glory, ready for the next 200K miles. Oh, and I would not hesitate to drive it straight to Alaska or across the country to the Canadian Maritimes, I'm confident in its mechanical condition and maintenance regime.

IMG_0193.JPG

I'm sure its a mix on here that meet your definition of how you think it should be used.

Last edited:
Haha. I live in the mountains of central New Mexico. I "use" my truck every day. I drive over 30 miles of dirt/gravel roads daily. Almost every time it rains or snows I have to lock the center diff. Here where I am at you have to own a 4x4 or get stuck a lot, so I have one of the best. I am very demanding of my vehicles.,

So now here is my question. How many of you have a cruiser because you need it and not just for recreation?

Ha, negative. I had to cancel a hiking trip to Colorado last week and ask myself daily why I have it other than I've always wanted one. I drive a Camry 99.99% of the time and mall cruise the rest.

Unfortunately, mine is for recreation. I wish I was able to use mine for work or lean more on the heritage fo my daily commute.

Wooh ! I do not want to see this (my) post take the tangente of “need” vs “recreation”.

Let say my recreational needs is assured by my Cruiser.

I made that post because I often tell to myself, while I’m driving tight rutted forest roads, if everyone “feel” they beat out of the hell their Landcruiser as I do ;)

Last edited:
Mine just pulls my boat... perfect on slick boat ramps.

I do not use my LX as most. It has proven an incredibly comfortable way to haul a heavy trailer across the country on Interstates, however.

I probably spend 1 to 3 days a month going places that I wouldn't have felt comfortable going in my old RWD Dodge Ram. The places I go are usually forest service and logging roads, and often times the less traveled ones that can get pretty rough. Those national forest activities are hunting, pulling a trailer to go load up with firewood, and just general exploring. I still amazes me how easy the 100 handles those things. I am also less than 1/2 mile from the beach, a beach that people drive on, but I haven't mustered up the courage to drive on it yet myself. Eventually though.

I also take it out on the river bars here quite often. My wife's Grand Cherokee struggled on those bars while the 100 doesn't break a sweat.

Wooh ! I do not want to see this (my) post take the tangente of “need” vs “recreation”.

Let say my recreational needs is assured by my Cruiser.

I made that post because I often tell to myself, while I’m driving tight rutted forest roads, if everyone “feel” they beat out of the hell their Landcruiser as I do ;)

I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to derail anything.

I probably do more than just beat the hell out of my poor truck. I pretty much abuse the sh!t out of it. But it always eats up whatever I put in front of it.

Our 100 is just for beating on, almost 100% trail use other than the miles to get to and from the trail... Carry's the whole family, all of our camping stuff, gear, tools, spare parts etc.. It is def overloaded and over worked!

i-Dn58ZCQ-X2.jpg

During the summer months I use it every 2 weeks for camping / trail rig but barely anything else during the rest of the year. It can sit for 3-5 weeks at the time.
I honestly love to drive it but it makes no sense in the city or during the bad winter days due to idiots on the road.
Winter trails are fun but repetitive and driving more than 3 hours to do a trail and head back home another 3 makes absolutely no sense up here.
I put 5000-10000 km per year max.

20210829_144740.jpg

IMG-20210829-WA0085.jpg

VideoCapture_20200920-102319.jpg

20200701_214856.jpg

20200620_132226.jpg

During the summer months I use it every 2 weeks for camping / trail rig but barely anything else during the rest of the year. It can sit for 3-5 weeks at the time.
I honestly love to drive it but it makes no sense in the city or during the bad winter days due to idiots on the road.
Winter trails are fun but repetitive and driving more than 3 hours to do a trail and head back home another 3 makes absolutely no sense up here.
I put 5000-10000 km per year max.

View attachment 2780232

View attachment 2780233

View attachment 2780234

View attachment 2780235

View attachment 2780236
Interesting perspective. I tend to value mine more on crappy winter weather days due to the idiots on the road. What is your winter DD to deal with said idiots?

First year owning my LC and so far have put on 8k in 10 months of ownership, so less experience then most here. It's my daily Baja driver, with +/-30% of driving done off pavement. Have done a few "adventure tours" Baja style, so appreciate it's toughness.

Still, I have already snapped 6 roof supports (Count them, it's 6/6) - (for my Alucab) from a reputable company when apparently this had not happened to anyone yet. In short, I put my truck to the test.
You have substantial weight on your roof.... over 220 lbs from what I can see. What kind of roof rack mounts and where did they crack? What else on your 100 has broken?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom