Are these sliders ridiculous? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So....I got these sliders on craigslist a couple weeks ago, but I can't figure out if they are ridiculous or just normal for OPOR sliders.

The issue, at least to my eye, they hang low. I get the advantages of that (no chance of hitting the body/no squeaky noises as the frame flexes)
I talked to the good folks at metaltech, and they we're very supportive, but could not really provide any concrete information on why these hang low, they confirmed I installed them correctly. it is possible, though remote they were modified by a PO or were exceptionally rare prototypes...

I like that they stick way outside of the body, no shopping cart is going to violate my airspace...and they function awesome as a step and they are STOUT!

So, what do you think? (yes, a fresh can of worms) Bottom line I'm considering selling them as I like the more tucked up aesthetic of the WKOR or the factory look of the BIOR step slides.) Maybe it is an excuse to match these with a set of 37's in the corners....But, as they say a slider in hand is worth two on the rocks.

1648568902270.png

They're sung to the pinch weld, but miles from the body.
1648569006632.png

1648569058371.png

1648569115082.png

1648569181422.png

@HardyDanger I have the same ones. I'll take a pic of mine today and send it to you.

What vehicle were they on prior to yours?

Also- if OPOR sells weld together kits, the PO probably just tailored them to suit their taste. Hopefully you got a good deal- clean them up to look nice and sell them for more than you paid! I recently sold a set of sliders on Land Cruiser Marketplace within 24 hours of listing. FedEx was $220 to ship them across the country.

Cut 2" out of the arms and weld them back up?

They were on a 96 LX450.

I talked to a fab guy about cutting them, that's on the table...but not sure that's worth the effort vs selling them.

Would love to see yours at @Dirt Ferguson thanks.

I made them look purty before I installed.
1648573488919.png

My Metaltech sliders don't sit out that far. And the long rectangular tube is close to parallel to the ground on mine. Maybe they had one for with flares and without? idk. Mine came with my 80 and when installed were used. fwiw

20220329_121052.jpg

20220329_121026.jpg

I feel like the green angle is correct, but the arm length is too long?
1648574104763.png

My Metaltech sliders don't sit out that far. And the long rectangular tube is close to parallel to the ground on mine. Maybe they had one for with flares and without? idk. Mine came with my 80 and when installed were used. fwiw
Thanks...Are those the metal tech or OPOR licensed version they made?

Thanks...Are those the metal tech or OPOR licensed version they made?
I have no idea, they came on the 80 when I purchased it 2 years ago and I believe the previous owner purchased them used.

20220329_122327.jpg

I have no idea, they came on the 80 when I purchased it 2 years ago and I believe the previous owner purchased them used.

View attachment 2965820
These are the oldstyle metaltech that are no longer made. I have the same ones on my truck. They are tucked super well and out of the way. The OPOR sliders metaltech currently sells have gone through a few updates and do currently hang low like the OP.

Here are some pictures of mine for reference.

20220329_132828.jpg
20220329_132848.jpg
20220329_132945.jpg

Last edited:
@leonard_nemoy could you put a tape measure on one or two of those arms? and see if they compare to mine?

Maybe I need to put a protractor on there and figure out angles.

Will owe you a 🍺

This is passenger side, rearmost arm
B2F09282-3490-4974-99F0-8A46E6697248.jpeg

This drivers side first arm. (And a sexy adidas slippage sock combo)
A477AF61-06DD-41E1-9967-F42BFEE6B217.jpeg

Did you have to notch or otherwise “persuade” your pinch weld for those to fit?

@leonard_nemoy could you put a tape measure on one or two of those arms? and see if they compare to mine?

Maybe I need to put a protractor on there and figure out angles.

Will owe you a 🍺

This is passenger side, rearmost arm View attachment 2966146

This drivers side first arm. (And a sexy adidas slippage sock combo) View attachment 2966147

Passenger side rear most arm:

20220329_172152.jpg

20220329_172311.jpg

I am getting an angle of about 150 degrees

Drivers side first arm:
20220329_172353.jpg

Dang, I need to clean all the red mud and surface rust off the bottom of my rig and get it touched up with the rattle can. I have been neglectful......

Did you have to notch or otherwise “persuade” your pinch weld for those to fit?

They came installed on the rig, I think they had been on the rig for a long time. The pinch weld is all smashed up above the arms because the PO wheeled this thing hard at sand hollow.

I thought sliders were supposed to protect the pinch welds.... I can't imagine how they would look without the sliders lol.

@HardyDanger

It looks like your sliders are identical to mine. These sliders are extremely well built and I believe they are designed to protect the rig from side impacts as well as rocks hitting the rockers from the panel.

If you want the ultimate in protection you should keep them. Imagine sliding sideways into a tree on a muddy trail, these sliders will keep the body off the tree. If they were tucked in anymore that wouldn't be the case, especially if you have flares.

If your just looking for aesthetic sliders to replace the oem steps and still get some protection than maybe consider a more low profile slider.

I personally believe these sliders are the best sliders for an 80 series that is going to see hard-core wheeling.

Wow....arms look to be the same length. putting the tape to where you measured I am .5" longer...I am shocked. Would have put money on them being long by an 1.5 - 2".
Will have to measure the angles in a bit...

You'd prob would have bought a rig with rocker panels full of sand with out them....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom