ARB rear bumper wiring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

musthave

Doc says I'm 1 in 120K. Lucky?
Supporting Vendor
Threads
The rear ARB bumper wiring is a mess. The connectors don’t plug into anything on the vehicle directly. So, I’m trying to figure out what wires are what to get them working.

I’m guessing it’s ok to use the trailer harness. 4 wire flat connector Toyota stamped.
3D098156-38D5-4F17-894F-6C35CCD5935B.jpeg

Does anyone know which wire is which?

From the ARB side I have a black and brown wire together. And then I have a white, yellow, and green wire.

any ideas on how to wire that up?

Hi, im assuming the arb has the same setup as the 100 series arb, also a mess- nothing connecting directly.
The ARB has separate stop and turn signals(3-wire), while 4 pin and 7 pin towing combine brake and turn signals(2-wire). This wouldn't look right imho, and the easiest thing would be to splice a wire from each turn signal into the arb wiring harness, a brake wire, and a taillight signal from either one of the taillights or the factory towing connector.

However, I don't like cutting into the factory wiring at all. so I used a 2 wire to 3 wire converter, using the signals from the factory connector. 19$ and prime Amazon product ASIN B0046EKPHY

Let me know if this makes sense I can draw a little picture

Let me know if this makes sense I can draw a little picture
The converter sounds like what I need. Was hoping to finish it up today though. None in stores around me.

If you could draw a little diagram that would be awesome.

Look behind the right rear interior panel. You will find the other end of the wire and a converter box.

A0D121D0-957A-44A3-9293-A2773570E5D6.jpeg

I can't remember what colors the arb wires are for what, I know that white is ground however so just test using 12volts.

Again this is the way I did mine to avoid cutting the oem harness, It won't be hard to track down all the wires you need in the interior panel and do splices. The oem converter relay converts the vehicle 3 wire to 2 wire and then this method converts it back. The benefit of this, however is you can also split each of the wires from the oem tow harness into a new 4 pin connector, so you retain a tow connector.

A0D121D0-957A-44A3-9293-A2773570E5D6.jpeg

Last edited:
Here are the ARB wires.
3AC3764A-C791-44E5-90E3-268673E319EF.jpeg

yeah your going to have to test them to see which is which, brown is taillight I think and I wanna say green/yellow are turn signals and red is stop. White is ground for sure

That helps. Thank you. Green is the right side turn signal. Yellow is the left side turn signal. White is ground. I’m getting closer :)

An electrician I’m not. I really need to take an online class or something and get a lot better at it.

That helps. Thank you. Green is the right side turn signal. Yellow is the left side turn signal. White is ground. I’m getting closer :)

An electrician I’m not. I really need to take an online class or something and get a lot better at it.
Electrical is one of those areas where "a little bit of knowledge can be worse than none at all". I would advise caution and get some on site help that has experience before you make it worse. Forums can be a great help but, your last sentence shows more wisdom than the whole rest of this thread, including my posts. When I suggested, in my 1st post, the link providing wire colors, I thought you just needed to confirm what you had. But it's becoming apparent that you're "shooting in the dark".

Not quite shooting in the dark but not qualified to diagnose some things.

To me it would make sense if you had a trailer wire that had right turn signal, left turn signal, brake light Signal, and a common. So when there are more wires than what seem logically necessary it befuddles me a little. Luckily with the converter suggested above I should be OK and then it makes sense.

View attachment 2179467

I can't remember what colors the arb wires are for what, I know that white is ground however so just test using 12volts.

Again this is the way I did mine to avoid cutting the oem harness, It won't be hard to track down all the wires you need in the interior panel and do splices. The oem converter relay converts the vehicle 3 wire to 2 wire and then this method converts it back. The benefit of this, however is you can also split each of the wires from the oem tow harness into a new 4 pin connector, so you retain a tow connector.

View attachment 2179466

The converter arrived.

I connected white from vehicle tow harness to white of converter and white wire from arb harness.

Green vehicle to green input. Green output to green on arb harness

Yellow vehicle to yellow input. Yellow output to arb yellow harness.

Red from converter to red arb harness.

Brown vehicle harness bypass converter to brown of arb wiring harness.

NOTTA

Brake lights work fine. Left or right signal lights both signals together.

:bang:

If I remove the white common input I get left signal. If I try right signal, both light up.

Called ARB, they’re almost useless. They said the plugs usually line up perfect. Not a chance.

Not sure what to try next.

The ARB brake lights have red, brown, and white wires. Right turn is green. Left turn is yellow.

Shoot, I'm sure you got all your wires right and the out/inputs right, so it must a faulty converter. When you tested left and right the bulbs worked independently, correct? I feel bad for suggesting the converter, sorry it didn't work out for you.

Return it to amazon(I’m sure they’ll take care of it), and then carefully splice wires from the factory turn signals to the ARB I guess. If you’re worried about voltage drop you could use some of these little relays Amazon product ASIN B00RWV470O
I'm sure others have ARB rears, maybe reach out to them? Also, at least for the 100 series I was able to finish the install of the bumper and only finally wired up the lights months later.

Shoot, I'm sure you got all your wires right and the out/inputs right, so it must a faulty converter. When you tested left and right the bulbs worked independently, correct? I feel bad for suggesting the converter, sorry it didn't work out for you.

Return it to amazon(I’m sure they’ll take care of it), and then carefully splice wires from the factory turn signals to the ARB I guess. If you’re worried about voltage drop you could use some of these little relays Amazon product ASIN B00RWV470O
I'm sure others have ARB rears, maybe reach out to them? Also, at least for the 100 series I was able to finish the install of the bumper and only finally wired up the lights months later.
No worries, don’t feel bad. Already put it in a package to send back. I’m going to get a replacement to see if that works.
Through a wire sequence I tried I could get right and left lights to work. So it’s hopefully the converter.
I called ARB but it was shift end and the guy seemed clueless and annoyed. I’ll try tomorrow.
It seems like it should be simple.

Anybody else with similar issues?

So, I got all of this figured out today. Everything was as simple as I thought it would be as it follows complete logic. Unfortunately where the trailer converter is, that’s where things break down. So, I merely eliminated the trailer converter and everything works great.

I will update this thread this weekend on what that easy and correct way to do this is. Hopefully the next person can benefit from this.

So, I got all of this figured out today. Everything was as simple as I thought it would be as it follows complete logic. Unfortunately where the trailer converter is, that’s where things break down. So, I merely eliminated the trailer converter and everything works great.

I will update this thread this weekend on what that easy and correct way to do this is. Hopefully the next person can benefit from this.
Would love a follow up. I am exactly where you are at the end of this post.

I have a 2000 TLC. I bought it built and I'm happy with it. But the all the lights on the rear ARB bumper weren't working. Turn signals worked fine. But the brake/running light did not work. So I decided to dig in to this simple problem. Ohhh man... Not as simple as I thought.

I can get the turn signals to work. I can get the brake lights to work. I can get the 3 wire "red/brake" running lights to work. But, I can not get all of them to work together. If I wire the yellow and green to turn signal lights (each two wire) then the red/brakes light blink.

It's the standard ARB rear bumper. The ARB connector was cut off and it was all spliced. I'm begining to suspect the connector is hacked from a trailer wiring adapter. But I'm not sure.

I AM sure that there is thread on here somewhere and I'm just using the wrong words to search.

Any help or even "look here noob" would be greatly appreciated. I have verified continuity of the wiring on the ARB lights. I have unwrapped the light spools and checked for grounds. At this point it has to be a mismatch between the what the factory connection is putting out and what the PO wired thw after market connector for.

The stock connection being used is on the right side behind the wheel well.

Anyone have any good experience with the Curt converter? Installing my Dobinsons soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom