ARB on the 4runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am currently on my 2nd set of 255-85-R16s pizza cutters and love the lift the tires give me - I have not regeared and I don't rock climb but it still will pull my trailer with 2000lbs of fuel pellets (less than 10 miles) w/o problems - BUT on trips with long & steep hills it does down shift some. Just my experience & .02

i like my 255-85-16's as well and i haven't regeared either. it is fine for cruising on the hwy but i think it will be a problem on the trail.

gogle - where are the pics?

ummmmmmmmmmmmmm....well...I just finished tightening the bumper bolts! now I have to tighten the winch (I should have done it when the bumper was off) and hook the the battery leads...then connect the turn indicators....then the pics!! lol...Acadia...how did you wire the turn indicators? the parts that came with the bumper did not work as you know!! lol:D

ummmmmmmmmmmmmm....well...I just finished tightening the bumper bolts! now I have to tighten the winch (I should have done it when the bumper was off) and hook the the battery leads...then connect the turn indicators....then the pics!! lol...Acadia...how did you wire the turn indicators? the parts that came with the bumper did not work as you know!! lol:D

i cut the factory connector off and then used new connectors on the ARB signals and the factory wires. nothing fancy!

Well...thanks Acadia....since I am not even driving this 4runner...I just work on it every now and then...so when its over 80 degrees I stop....and I now have to go back to work tomorrow...so it will be about a week! lol...

FWIW...My wife and I "were" going to Alaska next month in this runner....but after being unemployed for 9 months...she made the mistake of getting a job....she starts tomorrow...so there went the 4runner trip!! :((( now I guess I will have to go on my own on my KLR 650...that I have set up just for that trip until she was laid off!!! :D

You know what? I probably would have traded your OEM bumper for those wheels.

well...you have a deal!!! if you still need it when she goes that way I will yell...or...make a trip to knoxville, Tn and see nothing! lmao!!! well you could go see the Smokies!!!

Make a trip to Winrock...

Acadia...where did you get those front shackles? and what are they rated to? thanks...I think I need some! NOT...i just want some! ;)

Acadia...where did you get those front shackles? and what are they rated to? thanks...I think I need some! NOT...i just want some! ;)

tractor supply (TSC) iirc they are rated at 8,000 lbs

ok...I hooked up the battery leads...tightened the winch mount bolts...and now pics...here they are!! and the best thing is I sold my stock bumper for 150.00 dollars...so I feel I did well!!!
Garth's bumper - 1.jpg
Garth's bumper - 2.jpg

I agree with the box that it came in was huge!
I had to unbolt the crush caps or whatever they are called on the end of the frame rails and then grind down the welds on the outside of the rail and peeled off the plates on the end of the frame rails to get the ARB to slide over the frame rail ends.
I left every bolt fairly loose until I had it in place and then aligned it where I wanted it to be straight, which was pretty much spot on, and then tightened the bolts a bit to hold it firm before I drilled the hole from the bottom up in each frame rail for the lighter colored bolt to attach the ARB. The other 2 bolts in each rail fit nicely and were just the bolts that hold on your tow hooks underneath. Once everything was started I torqued them all down.
As for wiring the turn signals I cut off the factory wires fairly short but enough to crimp automotive connectors back on as I figured that I would put the factory bumper back on if and when I sell this 4runner and that way I would have the ARB for the next 4runner or sell it separately if I went to some other model.

I attached some pictures. cheers
arb1.jpg
arb2.jpg
arb4.jpg

gogle-looks pretty sharp

Hey gogle and Acadia..I like the looks of both of your rigs!

Yes the ARB was pricey but I have no regrets buying mine.
We have lots of deer, some moose and antelope so I feel much better having something up front other than the factory showpiece and all it takes is one hit and it will pay for itself in coolers, sheetmetal and headlight assemblies.
Plus it makes a darn good shelf for holding items when working on the 4runner;)
:cheers: on the nice rigs guys

Duane...I agree...and if anyone out there knew how pitiful the factory one was they would get one too....I got 150.00 for my stock one...so then this one only cost me 700.00....I think its a great purchase...without a doubt this was my best buy on my 4runner...my .02! lol

Hey gogle and Acadia..I like the looks of both of your rigs!

Yes the ARB was pricey but I have no regrets buying mine.
We have lots of deer, some moose and antelope so I feel much better having something up front other than the factory showpiece and all it takes is one hit and it will pay for itself in coolers, sheetmetal and headlight assemblies.
Plus it makes a darn good shelf for holding items when working on the 4runner;)
:cheers: on the nice rigs guys

Duane-I appreciate the kind comments :)

and Yes the ARB bumper is a BIG upgrade in front end protection plus they look cool as well :grinpimp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom