April Trail Ride - Saturday 21st (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SAS

Seeking higher vistas
Threads
I have a tentative route planned based on conversations with Bill and Jim. Need to call USFS on Monday/Tuesday to confirm some details seen on the MVUM.

Should have a 90% plan on Tuesday evening for the meeting. Will post details here as well.

General concept: meet on south side Springs between 8am and 830am, depart at 830am
Meet Pueblo members somewhere south on I25.
Drive to vicinity of Walsenburg, and take Hwy 69 north/northwest toward Westcliffe. Turn off at Gardner, either CR 630 or CR 634 travel north through the Wet Mountains to vicinity of Fairview/Bishop Castle on Colorado HWY 165; return home via this highway and I25.

Points of interest:
Gardner Butte, a natural geological formation
Mission Wolf, a wolf rescue/rehabilitation non-profit
Deer Peak or Greenhorn Peak, elevation 12k+ but the access roads may be seasonal closed
Bishop Castle, 9th wonder of the world
lake Isabel, hiking and fishing

Anyone interested in camping Saturday night?

Not really familiar with the route but it sounds Prius capable...:lol:

no doubt Eric:grinpimp:

I’d go if there was Starbucks on the route...

Don’t own a Prius

Tracy - If it's still on let us know. We're up for some cruisin.

I sent you an email.

Waiting to see what weather does!

as anybody found out if the greenhorne is open... like the road from hwy 161 to mission wolfe?

Closer examination of the MVUM shows NOT OPEN until May 1st.

We can travel CR 634 north from Gardner to /beyond Mission Wolf, but where CR 634 intersects 401 (Deer Peak) and 369 (Greenhorn Mtn Road), it becomes FSR 360 (Ophir Creek) which is closed until May 1st.

I called the Ranger District and they confirmed that there is a seasonal gate (closed) at that point. When I asked another question, I was transferred to another number, and got a Voice Message--I left a message with my name/number.

Option 1 is to proceed, but instead of exiting north, travel CR 305 west to Hwy 69 and Westcliffe.

Option 2 is to postpone, and do something closer to home (Rampart Range? Old Stage?) and hold this trip as a back-up to the May trail ride (Medano Pass) in case Medano is not open at that time.

Option 3 is travel further south on I25 and meet Jim somewhere and let him show us around his new area/Raton, NM.

It is still on. Bring the kids, we are planning at stopping at Mission Wolf. If you want to meet us in Pueblo, we will be at the Stem Beach exit @ 9:45. Or the CO Spgs meeting place is the Safeway at S. Nevada and Cheyenne Rd. @ 8 am.

Will the northern contingent take I-25 south to Walsenburg then go west on Hwy 69 to Gardner?

If so we could link up with you at the truck stop located off the 1st exit on the northern side of W-burg.

What is your Walsenburg ETA?

Be advised: Just looked at Mission Wolf website and it states:

Please DO NOT bring your dog to our sanctuary.

just have to keep the dog in the car... and awesome... if you are interested i'm not positive its open but we can take the rosita road from south of westcliffe back east.... just an idea

Will the northern contingent take I-25 south to Walsenburg then go west on Hwy 69 to Gardner?

If so we could link up with you at the truck stop located off the 1st exit on the northern side of W-burg.

What is your Walsenburg ETA?

Yes, maybe link up at the Acorn Travel Plaza at the 69/25 Intersection. My guess on time is 1030-ish, possibly 11 depending upon conditions.

Yes, maybe link up at the Acorn Travel Plaza at the 69/25 Intersection. My guess on time is 1030-ish, possibly 11 depending upon conditions.

See you at the Acorn.

Reactions: SAS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom