Anyone use an ARB Tree or Pull Pal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Joined
Jan 23, 2019
Threads
130
Messages
2,586
Location
USA
Sometimes I'm out in the sand alone. Not a tree near by to anchor a winch to.

Anyone carry a pull-pal or ARB Tree? How to you pack it?
 
Sometimes I'm out in the sand alone. Not a tree near by to anchor a winch to.

Anyone carry a pull-pal or ARB Tree? How to you pack it?

I don't own or carry one, but I have used someone else's Pull Pal for a demonstration, and it did work well. It folds up; a little bulky but not too bad.

You can do the same thing by running your winch line through your spare tire, connecting it to a cross jack or similar, and burying the spare - but the Pull Pal is way faster than that, and basically sets itself when you pull on the winch. You'll usually have to dig it out with a shovel when you're done though.
 
Yes, I carry the PullPal and use it on occasion, in some instances where no other anchor options exist.
 
I own a PullPal. I've used it quite a few times, mostly for training demonstrations but now and then for actual recovery. My success rate with it runs about 50 percent. The sand needs to be deep for it to bury properly; if it hits rocky substrate it will turn on its side and unbury itself. For the bulk and weight it's just not attractive to me as a regularly carried tool. I'd much rather rely on a shovel and Maxtrax—which have, never, ever failed in any kind of sand for me.

Of course, the first thing I do when bogged in sand is air down. If I've already aired down, which is always, I air down again. If that doesn't work . . . air down some more. 14psi didn't work? Try 12, or 10, or 8. If you've been smart and got off the throttle as soon as you realized you weren't moving any more, you'll probably drive right out.
 
Back
Top Bottom