Anyone up for Wheelin in Big Bear Saturday 9/24? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I hope I can still make it.

I took it to a shop to have the brake lines replaced yesterday. Today I got a really bad brake pedal feel, very spongy, it travels down a lot, as if there is air in the system.
The guy said he bled the system. OK then. Master cylinder problem? He said no. OK then. Took it home.

I look under the car and saw the front passenger side had the brake line replaced with the extended hose, the rear had it replaced too but it looks too long. Hmmm, OK. I then looked at the front DS and saw a short line. Damn. That one should have been in the rear.

So, I'll take it back there tomorrow to have them switched around front to back and have the master cylinder checked for (maybe, possibly) internal leaks.

The way it is right now I would not attempt even driving on the freeway. I don't feel safe with that sort of brake feel, then off road with the short brake line in the front would not be a good idea to flex my front axle.

Another option would be to take it to that Toyota shop in Corona (I believe yoda...something) on Saturday morning and have it fixed (hopefully) by the time we're supposed to meet at Big Bear.

Will keep you posted.

It should be an easy fix, in my opinion, but who knows now since they are certified mechanics and made this mess anyway. Got the hoses mixed up and left one loose so it squirts all over.

2016-09-20 19.29.49.jpg

2016-09-20 19.29.54.jpg

2016-09-20 19.30.00.jpg

It should be an easy fix, in my opinion, but who knows now since they are certified mechanics and made this mess anyway. Got the hoses mixed up and left one loose so it squirts all over.

View attachment 1324984

View attachment 1324985

View attachment 1324986
Wow. That is some serious incompetence. Maybe not use those guys anymore. Yota Masters will take good care of you. That is not a mistake they would have made. They will have my 80 in their shop after our next tax return. Need a few things done and I just don't have the time to deal with it.

Back at the shop this morning. I reemphasized which brake lines should go where and why (axle travel) and make sure there are no leaks.

It was odd when he told me the pedal feels spongy, but he did not check why.

Yea the guys at yotamasters know what they are doing. I was just there monday to buy new spindle nuts for my truck. They were the only ones who had those nuts in stock.

As of right now I am on stand by for Saturday pending a good resolution on my brakes.
They fixed the leak by replacing the O-ring for the line, but kept it in the same place (in the from instead of the rear) because apparently it does not fit in the rear due to some angle. He will show it to me tomorrow.

In this case I have one extended brake line for front DS and one short one front PS. Extended line for rear (which should have been in the front).

I can't risk busting the brake line during some kind of flex up on the trail. I really hope I can have it all done by tomorrow.

Guy I need a confirmation please on some part numbers.

I got 2 extended lines 96940-34705 and 1 90947-A2016.

I thought the 34705 were for the front left and right side. One of them was placed on the DS and one in the rear. The shorter one (90947-A2016) was placed in the front, PS.
This short one, I thought was for the rear frame to axle. Reading here on the forum it seems like that is the right part for the front PS, not the rear.
Since the pumpkin is not centered, it makes sense the DS to be longer than the PS.
Is this correct?

In this case I might have everything placed in order.
The mechanic said the car should be ready otherwise.

I got a lot of conflicting information regarding those part numbers and got confused with the replacements.

Is 96940-34705 for the rear or front?
I found others have replaced the front line with 96940-34605 and 34705 for the rear. Just wondering since I got 2 of the same parts.

Can't help with the brake line numbers. So the 4G/internet service is terrible at the campground so I may not be able to get back to this thread by Saturday. I'm not a fan of posting my number but I don't have another option. My cell phone seems to be able to receive texts and somewhat decent service for calls but almost no internet. If someone decided to join us or cancel on me please send me a text. (9O9) 2three8-3333. Look forward to seeing you guys on Saturday. Will be at the Glass Rd. and 38 junction at 2:15pm on Saturday.

I am really hoping I can make it on Saturday. I will go to the shop tomorrow and look under the car to see what hoses were placed where. Apparently he fixed the leaking brake line so, my car is probably able to stop now.

I'm in.

Got the car back. It works...ok I guess.

Maybe I am a bit paranoid about the brakes. I never liked them, but I think my pedal holds too low for my liking. Will see what you guys think about it tomorrow.

@Qball are you in/out?
Got my 35's on just for you.

I'm in.

Got the car back. It works...ok I guess.

Maybe I am a bit paranoid about the brakes. I never liked them, but I think my pedal holds too low for my liking. Will see what you guys think about it tomorrow.

@Qball are you in/out?
Got my 35's on just for you.

Sorry guys, too much honeydos so didn't get a hall pass. Have fun guys and take lots of pictures.

I contacted Brad earlier this morning. Unfortunately I'm out as well. I have a buddy of mine that has asked for my help with a plumbing issue at his home that needs immediate attention. I'm bummed. It's a beautiful day to hit Big Bear and the trails. :(:crybaby:

Enjoy and be safe.

I hate rocks. That's for sure.

Being the the one with the lowest lift it was tough. Mine sits at the most 2" over stock height with 35"s.
I had a few really tough thumps. Don't know the full extent of the damage yet. The ruining boards are both damaged. I ended up sitting on my front pumpkin at one point.
The first obstacle was really tough and if I were to run alone there I would simply turn back. @bhicks was there to spot me and he really made it look like cake. It was a big vertical boulder, at least 2ft high straight up 90 degrees. I was in L - Lo and some how it seem I flew right over it. The second one was really tough. Lots of slams against bigs rocks.

I need at least another inch of lift.

Pre off road run.
Will post pictures of post run.

2016-09-24 11.47.53.jpg

2016-09-24 14.37.27.jpg

2016-09-24 14.38.04.jpg

2016-09-24 14.38.10.jpg

Had a blast guys. Definitely need to do that again. My passenger side birf is totally shot now but a rebuild was already in the plans for this week. New exhaust, a bunch of new fluids, and a full axle rebuid will happen this week with some of that being done at Yota Masters. In another couple weeks I will be up and rolling again and ready for John Bull. I will set up another trail run soon.

I had a blast as well im gonna work on getting some sliders to join u on the john bull trail and i need longer brake lines and im sure i can get through john bull. Im always down to hit some trails

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom