Anyone running Falken Wildpeak A/T3W? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm thinking about buying these today in 285/75r16. I joined Tread Lightly to get $150 in rebates on Falken Tires and Discount Tire. Discount Tire is running another promotion for President's Day and using their credit card gets me to about $115 per tire. I don't think I'll be able to find anything better for this price. Thoughts?

I put Falkens on my pathfinder and they suck. Worst tires I have ever purchased. My guess is that I could go thru 2 set of Falcons compared to 1 set up BFG AT's on the LC.

I put Falkens on my pathfinder and they suck. Worst tires I have ever purchased. My guess is that I could go thru 2 set of Falcons compared to 1 set up BFG AT's on the LC.

What Falken tire were you running? The A/T3W seems to be getting good reviews. Also...I won't be driving more than 2 or 3000 miles a year, no I am not too concerned about fast wear.

I have them, they're waiting to be mounted in the spring, slightly larger than stock at 275/65/18. Got the E-rated tires dirt cheap on Black Friday, so I figured what the hell, if I hate them and have to sell them, I won't be hit with that big of a loss...

They seem to have good reviews from the people I have talked with and here:

New Falken AT tire (A/T3W) - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

They're a relatively new tire so long-term longevity and all that is yet to be ascertained. I have a set, of gently used 275-70-18 K02's which I bought from a coworker here that I'll put on if I really hate these.

I have a set of dedicated snow tires on my old wheels so they'll only be mounted April through October.

I like Falken, I've run the brand on my cars in the past. I think they're a reputable brand-name Japanese tire manufacturer - like Toyo.

I have them in the 285/75/16 flavor on stock 100-series. Replaced my 285 Duratracs with them, couldn't be happier. I think I have around 7k miles now - reminds me I'm late for tire rotation! I like that they are very quiet and they roll smooth under 40mph and in turns. They feel stiffer and possibly because of that I like the steering response more, it's more reactive to touch especially at low speeds. I don't notice any extra stiffness/harsh ride at higher speeds compared to the DTs which were also E-rated. Though they're heavier I only really notice the weight when taking off from a stop, but on a plus side I notice the truck coasts better/longer so I guess that rolling mass helps in some way once you get moving. Haven't really noticed any drop in MPGs, still between 13-15mpg (we also have 3 regular drivers on our Hundy). I got around 65k out of my Duratracs, I'm thinking the Falkens will go further, especially if I rotate more frequently this time.

I got the DTs about a year after they first hit the market, they were a risk that paid off. Though I was happy with them, when it came down to new tires I was looking for something as aggressive on the tread, but slightly less on the sidewall. I was dead set on either the Toyo AT or Cooper ST MAXX, but then after I saw an article on the brand new Falken AT3W I inquired about pricing from the local tires shops. 6/6 shops did not even know what tire I was talking about, I guess they're that fresh on the market. Having a rebate solidified the deal since the next comparable brand name 285 was about $60 more per tire. BFG AT, Duratrac, Toyo and ST MAXX were all over $1100 for 4 tires, I got the Falkens for around $850 I think.

Here they are first installed:
4539931F-AC40-47F6-AB57-3F41487E0D14_zpsmras0ny7.jpg

43BCC9B5-2D5F-456F-A699-07CFDD2419AB_zpswrjha03z.jpg

Here's from the other day with approx 7k miles:
5F5BC363-9333-4A56-B2FC-DF9CED5C8B17_zpstklsgoe8.jpg

Thank you - I just placed an order for 5 tires. Good rebates happening at Discount Tires for President's Day and Tread Lightly offers $150 in rebates with a membership.

Thank you - I just placed an order for 5 tires. Good rebates happening at Discount Tires for President's Day and Tread Lightly offers $150 in rebates with a membership.
I was looking at these same tires today. Are the tread lightly discounts good in addition to the presidents day discounts? Or is it one or the other?

I was looking at these same tires today. Are the tread lightly discounts good in addition to the presidents day discounts? Or is it one or the other?
I think they can be stacked on top of each other since they are separate rebates. The $100 Tread lightly rebate is direct from Falken. I'm just waiting for my welcome package from Tread Lightly to show up in the mail. I already submitted my discount tire direct rebates and was approved yesterday. I signed up for the discount tire credit card too to get another $60 back. $285 in rebates gets me 5 tires shipped to my door for $560 after rebates. I was looking at KO2s...but that was going to cost $1k. I think these are a great deal with the rebates.

So in all I used 4 rebates:
$75 Presidents's Day rebate - already approved - you can submit the first 2 rebates online as soon as they send you the order invoice
$60 rebate for using credit card - already approved - I signed up for the credit card yesterday and was immediately approved and given my account number to use on the tire purchase.
$100 Falken Tread Lightly rebate - rebate comes with Tread Lightly welcome package
$50 Dicount Tire Direct Rebate from Tread Lightly

Since each one is a unique offer - they all should stack just fine.

I run the AT3W's on an 80 series (285/75/16). In 5 months they have only seen 600 miles or so. However, they handle nicer than my KO2's, and far better than the old KO's did on dry pavement, ice and snow. They are a very heavy tire, the construction seems very robust. Nice and quiet with predictable handling, firm and not squirrelly on a heavy Cruiser. Overall I am happy with them thus far, esp for the money.

One criticism of the original Wildpeak tires was the lack of siping through the entire tread. They would wear halfway through, and essentially be bald down the center of the tread. I hope long term use does not result in the same poor wear on these.

IMG_20160811_182703262_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160811_182713677_HDR.jpg

I've been running the A/T3W in a 315/75R16 load range E on my Tacoma since the fall right around 3k on them. I've been really impressed with how smooth and quiet they are on the highway, responsive with minimal noise and excellent traction on snow and ice. Off road the they work really well, good traction in the rocks aired down and the tread cleared better than expected in the mud. I can't speak to longevity yet but overall they are my favorite A/T that I have run.

I put a set on in December and got the local DT to price match an online deal. No complaints and they are A++ in the snow. So far unstoppable.

Subbed. Considering these in a 17 for my 80 series. Director of Falken Motorsports has them on his FZJ80, loves them.

D74C10B0-48C7-4E74-8B91-1044AAD7CFDE-3325-000002137D64B7C8_tmp.jpg

Got mine from the big Brown van today! Getting them installed this afternoon
tmp_11551-20170224_142834993957759.jpg

Just had mine mounted today and so far they've been great. They've been in storage in my mom's shed since November and I finally said "screw it" and had them put on today, even if we do get a bit more snow later... Had my mom's mechanic set them all at 45 PSI and I will be checking out wear patterns and adjust the pressure as needed.

The ride is surprisingly better than I thought it'd be. Bumps, potholes, railroad tracks, etc. aren't jarring or harsh and cornering seems to be improved (as much as it can be in a 6,000 lb, top-heavy monster). Road noise is a bit more than my old all-seasons, though the Bridgestone Alenza Pluses were loud anyway! I took a myriad of roads back home tonight and I don't have any complaints!

I really wanted to test them in the mud as my mom's field was all soggy due to it being 63* here and all the snow melted, plus some rain. I stayed calm though as part of the field is part of her front lawn. Her driveway is 1/4 mile long and all gravel, and when I pulled out onto the main road I didn't hear any gravel chucking either.

20170302_113015.jpg
20170302_140529.jpg
20170302_163455.jpg
20170302_163506.jpg
20170302_163553.jpg

I figure I should update you guys - I had a near-failure on the sidewall of one of my AT3Ws this past weekend. Not even sure what exactly caused it, but I'm fairly certain it happened as a result of hitting a VERY large pothole the night before. Tires have 8,000 miles on them.

I was headed to South Lake Tahoe, I was on Pioneer Trail at dusk. Hit a MAJOR pothole in the middle of a turn at around 50mph with a rig loaded up with my family and gear for the weekend. I sorta got a look at the hole before it went under the rig -- it was at least a 4-6" deep with a "punched-out" or "undermined" edge, not your typical "sloping" edge. My wife even made a "eek" noise when I hit it, so I knew it was deeper than normal.

The next morning I was just about to get into the rig to go have a day of fun in the snow, I somehow noticed a dark black line on the front tire which caught my attention enough to stop and go look at it. Visually looked around 1/16" or deeper, minimum, there were no exposed threads from the tire carcass and it did not leak air. I did not feel confident driving 80 miles home the next day, through a snow storm with my whole family inside. Since my 285 Duratrac spare tire is much much more worn than the new Falkens, I decided to swap my bad tire to the rear of the rig so I could control vehicle better if it blew out (wasn't expecting to have to use a spare until at least 1/2 tread on the new tires)...then drove 25 miles to Carson City Discount Tire so they could do something for me under road hazard warranty....the shops in Tahoe would only sell me 4 new tires :) They gave me a new tire to temporarily hold me over - this way I'd still have a working spare tire just in case.

I think I'm not going to ditch the Falkens for another brand like suggested by others, I've decided to stay with them and give them another chance since I researched them before I got them and I really like them. Had my tire shop order me 2 tires so I will have 5 matching on this rig - still $170/ea.

Anyways, here' it is when I first saw it (scuff mark from my boot trying to flex it):
ED9A07B9-DE1E-4729-8EA1-3A1ED20A521E_zpsqijwzqhr.jpg

Different shot when I got to the tire shop:
EE339A92-BC5B-493B-9D4F-0DC91023517F_zpsdloxwluk.jpg

8420F1EA-3A28-492A-A5DF-59DB40D9B7C1_zps2dwqj4il.jpg

Dismounted (didn't get one of it flexed, sorry):
2763E0EE-7931-4C8B-94BD-FEA2065C512E_zps8kjmgmei.jpg

Temporary replacement, Pathfinder AT:
3DEF1698-D84B-4ABD-A679-9B1C31FFEBFD_zpslczft95v.jpg

Looking at the pics --- coincidence it occurred on the same spot on the tire that needed all the balancing weights?

Out of curiousity what was your tire pressure like when you hit?

With the suggestion about the weights, I'd suggest the tire may have been faulty. I think I'd stay with them too as this seems like a uncommon event.

I think my air pressure is maybe 35psi, pretty much what the tire shop set them at. I've been so busy each weekend I haven't yet had time to do the chalk line test to figure out ideal pressure on these yet. For my Duratracs it was around 40psi I think - but on that tire I did it mainly to reduce the "roll" I was feeling in turns, likely due to the soft sidewalls on those.

Just an update on my part, I've already bid adieu to these tires, NOT because I disliked them, quite the contrary actually, but because I had an offer from a member here to take his one-year-old LT275/70/18 Cooper ST Maxx tires AND 07 LX470 wheels in return for a complete exterior detail on his new 200 (he's selling the 100 so he wanted someone who'd appreciate the tires/rims). We swapped all five tires from each truck so he has my 18" Tundra rims and the Falkens.

In terms of the Falkens, they're very quiet around town and on the highway, then again the all-season Bridgestones I had were louder than these and didn't ride nearly as well! They have a PSI rating of 80 max, but that's obviously overkill, I ran them at 45 PSI and the ride was compliant, a bit stiffer than stock but not harsh.

Obviously, I haven't had enough time to test them in various situations or longevity, but from what I experienced, they were a decent tire... take that with a grain of salt though as only time will tell with other users!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom