Anyone running CVJ remanufactured CV axles? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Since lifting my 2007 FJ last year my inner boots started leaking. I did a quick fix last summer with some grease and new clamps. Just recently I noticed the boots have now blown out. It was recent but I'm just not sure when it happened. Not noticing any squeaking or clicking. Considering replacing the axles instead of rebooting. I've got 130k on my FJ so far. Priced out new Toyota axles at $480 per side or a factory boot kit $80 a side. CVJ sells rebuilt factory Toyota axles with an upgraded inner boot for more flex at $328. Anyone out there running CVJ that could offer an opinion?

Since lifting my 2007 FJ last year my inner boots started leaking. I did a quick fix last summer with some grease and new clamps. Just recently I noticed the boots have now blown out. It was recent but I'm just not sure when it happened. Not noticing any squeaking or clicking. Considering replacing the axles instead of rebooting. I've got 130k on my FJ so far. Priced out new Toyota axles at $480 per side or a factory boot kit $80 a side. CVJ sells rebuilt factory Toyota axles with an upgraded inner boot for more flex at $328. Anyone out there running CVJ that could offer an opinion?
I bought a CVJ over a year ago to replace one of my running ones, but it wasn't failing like I thought, so it's still on the ground (and the CVJ is my spare). I always have run Toyota axles and you should be able to find a better deal than $480 (!) for one if you shop around. But I've heard good things about the CVJs and will probably keep buying them as needed.

Whatever you do:

1. Do NOT buy any parts store, RockAuto, aftermarket axles....they are junk - boots will rip within 15-30k and they dont articulate as much as OEM.

2. SAVE those OEM ones and reboot them later if you go CVJ (though they probably have a core charge). Or just reboot the OEMs if they have not been left to get too grimy. Its easy and very effective....no core BS, ect.

Last edited:
Agree with retaining OEM and rebooting. Best solution by far.

That said.. my FJ came with parts store ones already that had boots failing so, popped the Cardone HD's ($75 at Rockauto) in with 26K miles so far with a lot of offroad and AWD road time. Cringe inducing Southeastern intermittent traction climbs with ATRAC hunting etc.. :hillbilly: (karma will now dictate my next trail run breaking both CVs)

My coilovers have the preload loosened all the way up so 2" or less of total lift is probably the secret there, no noticeable bind at full droop and swaybar still intact. OEM's dual axis inner joint is far superior for droop strength vs anything aftermarket.

32a50028816f85ec6130d6cc8eb0ef46.jpg

(Image stolen from internets)

Still on the hunt for OEM take outs.

Thanks for the info. I'm staying away from the aftermarket axles. I've been leaning towards rebooting the stock axles. It's just a matter of time for projects. Thought it might be quicker to swap out the axles. Bought my FJ with 70k miles and I'm pretty sure the CV's are originals. Any opinions on stock vs aftermarket boots?

Maybe get the CVJ outer boot kit?

CVJ boots are red Orange is RCV.
I have run CVJ. OEM and even Orileys and have broken each .

To be honest I have mixed feelings about their signature orange boots...from a purely aesthetic pov.
Same, I have seen way too many people have issues with them wearing out pretty quickly but haven't heard much as of late

OP - I ran/run CVJ's for roughly 60k before I tore both boots or change them after they tore.....swapped back in my OEMs. I have zero complaints with their CVs and I ran the cheapest option they had for boots and CVs at the time.

CVJ uses the same s***ty boots you get at Vato Zone. They’re right up the street from me, been in their shop a bunch of times.

Get OEM boots and DIY it, or send them your boots.

Just did this service on my passenger side yesterday. Extremely easy and you can get the Toyota kit for $58-80 depending on which dealer you use. I was happy with the $80 to have it next day and that it came with inner and outer grease in the kit.

nothing comes close to factory well not much I found myself.Have them rebuilt and perhaps a better boots is made .No clicking I say still decent shape really good luck

I bought a set of CVJ's for my 4th gen 4Runner. All 4 boots split in under 30k miles.

I replaced them with a pair of Napa CV's, and both of those have failed (Not the boots, the actual joints).

I will be rebuilding the CVJ's with factory boots, when I get around to it.

-Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom