Anyone mount ARB 2500 Awning to stock roof rack? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm getting an ARB 2500 awning and room. Anyone mount one of these to the stock roof rack?

Was thinking of using these ARB brackets and mount into my factory cross bars:

Amazon.com: ARB OS850 Awning Bracket: Automotive

Some potential issues are:

1. Can the factory roof bars handle the load under highway driving conditions?
2. Mounting the brackets to the cross bars puts the awning above the roof rail, not along side it.

Anyone done this before?

Ive seen this in a couple threads. It looks like the L bracket goes under the factory roof rails and then you make a custom top piece to sandwich down on the roof rail.

I plan on doing the same thing in a couple weeks when beach season starts before i have had a chance to build the roof rack. Not too comfortable with the long term viability though since the front most mount on the roof rail is only about half way up the awning.

Thx @Snowrydr01 - I've searched but can't find any threads on this so if you know of one, please post the link here.

I took a quick measurement and the roof bars span about 4' so the brackets could attach at the 2' and 6' marks leaving a 2' overhang front and rear.

Do yourself a favor and buy Gamiviti's awning mounts. There isn't a better awning mount/receiver available and you can take your awning on/off by yourself in under two minutes. Contact @nakman with any questions. Roof Rack Receivers

I have an ARB and a Foxwing and have these mounts on both. I could swap awnings faster than you could tighten one bolt on one mount. Unless you'll leave your awning on full time, these are a no brainer.

Thx @paflytyer - I can't tell from the link you provided if the Gamiviti awning mounts work with the factory rack?

Thx @paflytyer - I can't tell from the link you provided if the Gamiviti awning mounts work with the factory rack?

I'm 100% not sure. You'd probably have to make a few small 1" flat steel plates to go over the top to connect to the roof rails like a sandwich. It's been years since I've looked at a OE roof rack. @nakman can probably give you better advice. I'd email him or send him a PM. No matter which awning receivers/mounts you use, you'll probably have to fab something up to sandwich the rail.

I'm 100% not sure. You'd probably have to make a few small 1" flat steel plates to go over the top to connect to the roof rails like a sandwich. It's been years since I've looked at a OE roof rack. @nakman can probably give you better advice. I'd email him or send him a PM. No matter which awning receivers/mounts you use, you'll probably have to fab something up to sandwich the rail.

I'll reach out to nakman. My Thule Kayak Racks use a plate that sandwiches around the cross bars so I may be able to use them with the awning mount. I'll post pics here of whatever I rig up to make it work.

I have a long ride to HIH7 so want to make sure it's secure at speed!

So, I was considering the same thing not too long ago. I saw a build thread on here where the guy had used a bracket similar to the ARB style you posted, but drilled holes into the stock rack and ran bolts through to secure the bracket to the stock rack. It looked a little sketchy to me, but it worked for him. I called Christo @sleeoffroad and asked if they knew of any brackets made to fit the stock rack, and he did not. His concern was that the stock rack isn't rated for much weight, and at speed the awning has a real possibility of coming off. Especially with a homebrew solution.

you're better off at the least to get some round or square load bars... can normally find Yakima or Thule for cheap on Clist or off brand ones on proline racks or amazon.

Then you can make a simple connection with L brackets and U bolts or get custom ones like Labrak makes
LabRak Load Bar Awning Mounts

I just picked up some used mounts for my old round bars I had lying around off of ebay for $60. Now to either make my own or get those I just linked for my knockoff Foxwing I got last year.

I reached out to @nakman and he said that his awning mounts will absolutely work with the stock roof rack. I've asked him for pics of his mounts as it's not clear from his website how they would attach.

Hoping he can just post pics here for all to see?

I reached out to @nakman and he said that his awning mounts will absolutely work with the stock roof rack. I've asked him for pics of his mounts as it's not clear from his website how they would attach.

Hoping he can just post pics here for all to see?

X2 here...

Highly interested...

Any updates? Hoping to figure out if the 2500 is too big before I pull the trigger.

I picked up the 2500 a couple of days ago. I still haven't quite figured out how I'm going to mount it. @nakman followed up and said his mounts will NOT work with the factory rack - I'm not sure why. Hoping he can comment here.

I will figure out a solution and post here when I do. The 2500 is not too big and I want the extra room for me, my daughter, and dog at HIH. It's about 8x8 with the attached room.

How about reversing the Front Runner ones that allow for stock rails to support a rack?

Mounting to the stock rails would be the most ideal solution, but I'm not sure if the height will be an issue. The rack may hang too low causing the doors to hit. Can you post a link to the Front Runner mounts you're referring to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom