Anyone know what this mystery item is? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bwalker16527

1974 FJ40 SBC V8 350 TH400
Threads
Anyone know what this mystery item is in the center of the picture? Have one of these on both sides of hardtop interior above the side windows. Don't know what this is for. Any ideas? 1974 FJ40 hardtop.
20180507_181423 (2).jpg

Shoulder belt attachment point.

Anyone know what this mystery item is in the center of the picture? Have one of these on both sides of hardtop interior above the side windows. Don't know what this is for. Any ideas? 1974 FJ40 hardtop.View attachment 1708042
Anyone know what this mystery item is in the center of the picture? Have one of these on both sides of hardtop interior above the side windows. Don't know what this is for. Any ideas? 1974 FJ40 hardtop.View attachment 1708042

I think its a shoulder harness anchor point. Was just at a resto shop and noticed the location in that pristine example.

Now that I think about it I recall reading that the shoulder belt mounts in that location on trucks that didn't come with a roll bar (South American market, etc.). Rather than make tooling for different hard tops for different markets, all trucks came with that mounting hole.

This started on the 73 model. Believe Germany had three point seat belts that early. I/76-9/77 the US had the three point seat belts attached to the hard top. 78 model moved to the roll bar. Most markets did not get a roll bar at all and those were mounted to the hard top. I stripped the lower seat belt bracket from a 84 HJ47RV from the Australian market. Still had and used the upper fixed nuts. Markets it wasn't used had a rubber plug installed.

Great, thanks. My 74 has the seat belts attached to the roll bar and the rubber plug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom