Anyone in Australia familiar with Powertech MB3691 24VDC to 12VDC charger? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.flickr.com
There are a few options out there for running 12VDC components on 24VDC trucks. Ranging from running direct off converters to running things off a battery and charging it. I know several guys on here have set up systems using solar charge controllers and converters to recharge batteries. A few companies also offer actual DC to DC chargers as well.
After far too much research and conversing with a few companies, I came to the conclusion that a proper DC to DC charger would be best for this application.
Just running a converter is not ideal as it's output voltage will never fully charge the auxiliary battery. It also does not have any kind of battery charging management.
Running a solar charge controller on its own is also not ideal as basically all charge controller modulator the input voltage in an on/off fashion to regulate the output. This does put some strain on the alternator's regulator. Also, when charging, the solar controller is not isolated from the source power. If something fails (usually int he cheaper controllers) it could result in 24V going to the auxiliary battery.
Running a converter and a controller inline is a good option but you still don't get 100% charge on the auxiliary battery.
So ideally a DC to DC charger solves everything. There are a few companies making them, ranging from ridiculously expensive to reasonably expensive to one that I found with is very well priced but discontinued by the manufacturer. I have found a couple for sale through an old supplier but if I spend the money and get them, I likely will not get any support if something goes wrong.

So has anyone (likely in Australia) used the Powertech MB3691 24VDC to 12VDC 40Amp, 4 stage charger and has any feedback?
There seems to be an odd lack of information on the internet about them and this model.

The other choice is a company in the UK that makes them and has been around for a while. I have feedback that they are good and since they still exist the support is there. It is a bit more expensive though (almost twice the price).

Thanks for any info.

Attachments

• MB3691-manualMain.pdf
    146.3 KB · Views: 327
Not sure about your power tech device, but my experience with power tech, they are a cheap product, as I have already popped one of those converter, then I went for Redarc charge equaliser, Where you can centre tap 12v of lower battery and a 24v-12v Redarc converter
Although I only use the charge equaliser to charge both batts evenly , I use the converter to power my 12v stereo etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom