Anyone having emu wing regrets? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.tdtp.org
I smashed the driver side rear window in Moab a couple days ago and I'm looking at replacement options.

If you bought a set or driver side and changed your mind, let me know as I'm interested in going that route.

IMG_7172.JPG

No experience, but I don't know that I trust the source of Emu wing glass. Toyota glass can be very particular.

I think the Emu wing sounds like a nice upgrade, but if I had to choose, I would select the steel over the glass. That it's on your driver side means it won't limit visibility. And let's face it, in San Antone, you need the shade....

No experience, but I don't know that I trust the source of Emu wing glass. Toyota glass can be very particular.

I think the Emu wing sounds like a nice upgrade, but if I had to choose, I would select the steel over the glass. That it's on your driver side means it won't limit visibility. And let's face it, in San Antone, you need the shade....

Correct. I do prefer the metal version, but was just seeing what was available if anything.

Yeah, if you're doing the metal, my only concern is how that mount works. But that being said, a reputable shop should be able to handle it.

I like the idea and want to see how it works if you do metal. ..

I put together the group buy for the Emu Wings. The owner of the company was very easy to deal with and had great communications with me the entire way through.

I ordered the aluminum pair for myself. I regret not installing both at the same time, because I never got around to installing the passenger side.

The adhesive for the weather seal failed on mine, could have been installation error or I could have had them out of alignment. Easy fix with some black RTV sealant as new adhesive.

The lock cylinders were a little cheap IMHO, but keeping them sprayed with dry lube kept them working well.

The benefit of being able to walk up and reach items that were against my 2nd row seat, and being able to get things from the rear when parked on a hill greatly outweighed the few minor issues I had with mine.

Obligatory in use photo (HIH6):
IMG_6643.JPG

I love mine! I'm using it at least once a day on average.....I do agree the weatherseal adhesive sucks but a easy fix...

Can any of the owners tell us if they regret doing only one side?

I would love a driverside metal wing. Ease of access would be great! But it's far down the list of mods.
Seems like a good idea for those with swing out rear bumper

My arms aren't that long. It would be easier to reach the beer cooler from the side.
Not proud of that, but it's an honest reason and the bottle opener on the Slimline II rack is on that same side.

Hard to believe these are not offered for all SUVs. I want a glass set but they are way down the mod list for now.

Can any of the owners tell us if they regret doing only one side?

I did only my drivers side with the powder coated metal panel and it’s fantastic. I use it daily to avoid opening the swing outs and tailgates and makes it way easy to grab beers on the side of the dirt road when taking a break... I didn’t trust the glass and also chances of glass arriving unbroken from Australia seemed slim to none, price was right. Install is a bit tedious to get it perfect but we’ll worth it. The brackets could be a bit thicker to make them stiffer but otherwise I like it

7FB78E57-D2DA-4534-B283-17171B48E0FA.jpeg

FA1692D0-6A79-45FC-ADE4-675CAFC6782E.jpeg

A39E8091-071B-4435-99EE-483CB960085D.jpeg

5B8D48AD-8573-4141-A5F4-DD1A9211096B.jpeg

700A9DE0-C005-4620-9E3B-616E4DC1CDA6.jpeg
4607F48E-F967-41B0-B667-EB76498454F1.jpeg
6555E291-91E9-4615-A9A6-2649AC2387D5.jpeg
370D7911-2B70-43BF-BED9-0DF1AF3B9D54.jpeg
I did only my drivers side with the powder coated metal panel and it’s fantastic. I use it daily to avoid opening the swing outs and tailgates and makes it way easy to grab beers on the side of the dirt road when taking a break... I didn’t trust the glass and also chances of glass arriving unbroken from Australia seemed slim to none, price was right. Install is a bit tedious to get it perfect but we’ll worth it. The brackets could be a bit thicker to make them stiffer but otherwise I like it

View attachment 1701376

View attachment 1701377

View attachment 1701378

View attachment 1701379

The reason i only did one panel is the motor died and I couldn’t find a used replacement and toyot wanted about 500 bucks for new one so it made more sense to order this.. way more bang for the buck

Zero regrets, love... love mine.

But if you decide to replace with oem glass I'll sell you one of mine.

Good luck!

Anyone with these have rear side curtain airbags? Definitely on the list, but haven't seen anything indicating compatibility or lack thereof...

View attachment 1701383 View attachment 1701384 View attachment 1701385 View attachment 1701386

The reason i only did one panel is the motor died and I couldn’t find a used replacement and toyot wanted about 500 bucks for new one so it made more sense to order this.. way more bang for the buck

Thx for those detail pics. I have the same orientation of rear grab handles, and used the bolt locations for other stuff. Looks like the emu wing will still work for me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom