Anyone Have the Frontrunner Drawers Installed? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Another question...

Are the 2 locks different? Do I need to use a different key with each lock or will the same key work with both locks? They say 2 keys for each lock but hopefully the locks are keyed the same? Or not which would be a pain.

Another question...

Are the 2 locks different? Do I need to use a different key with each lock or will the same key work with both locks? They say 2 keys for each lock but hopefully the locks are keyed the same? Or not which would be a pain.

Both locks work with the same key, so the owner winds up with 4 copies of the same key, any one of which will work in both locks.

HTH

Did those cute little flower lights come with the drawers or did you add those? ;)

Maybe you would like to read up on those PowerFlare lights: PF Distribution Center

They are in common use with the military, law enforcement, firefighters and first responders. I first used them when working as an EMT - they are very nice to have if one wants to avoid being run over by an inattentive driver while trying to save the life of someone who is lying in the road.

Of course, to some folks, I guess they would look like just "cute little flower lights.":flipoff2:

How about noise on rough offroad trails? Wondering if, since it is steel, if it has creaks and rattles.

Are they at the same height as the middle row when that row is folded? In other words, could you put a platform (plywood or whatever) across the top of the drawers and across the folded (not rolled) 2nd row seats to create a flat space; one that you could sleep on?

Have not been on any rough trails since I finished installing them yesterday, but a couple of test rides of about 50 miles on local unimporoved roads revealed no creaks or rattles. In fact, I think the installation of the drawers eliminated some noises caused by the folded up third row seats.

The second row seats, when folded, do not lie flat - the headrest is a couple of inches higher than the base of the seatback, and the whole folded seat is a couple of inches shorter than the top deck of the drawers. As a result, any platform which relied on the folded seats for support would not be stable enough to serve as a sleeping platform, in my opinion. There is also about a one foot gap between the drawers and the folded second row seats which would have to be supported. So, if you want a sleeping platform that extends all the way from the inside of the tailgate to the back of the first row seats, this setup is not for you.

HTH

Thanks for the tip on the lights. Just ordered a couple and may get some for my kids and wife for Christmas.

As for making a sleeping platform, I would probably put a layer of foam or something on the folded 2nd row to protect it. And it would only be temporary as I would rarely need something like this. Some have said the ARB drawers will allow this and that they have done it. But I am somewhat interested in the fact that the Front Runner drawers are easily removable. My 3rd row is already out so that part is done.

The reason I ask is because I had ARB drawers on my 4Runner and I had to drill holes through the floor to mount them. Does anyone know if you need to drill the floor on the 200 to mount of ARB drawers?

No drilling required.

How about noise on rough offroad trails? Wondering if, since it is steel, if it has creaks and rattles.

Are they at the same height as the middle row when that row is folded? In other words, could you put a platform (plywood or whatever) across the top of the drawers and across the folded (not rolled) 2nd row seats to create a flat space; one that you could sleep on?

Did those cute little flower lights come with the drawers or did you add those? ;)

The ARBs are very close to the same height as the second row when folded...so that it makes a very nice sleep surface with a mattress or pad.

So...FrontRunner drawers would be quite a bit higher than the seats by comparison.

Have not been on any rough trails since I finished installing them yesterday, but a couple of test rides of about 50 miles on local unimporoved roads revealed no creaks or rattles. In fact, I think the installation of the drawers eliminated some noises caused by the folded up third row seats.

The second row seats, when folded, do not lie flat - the headrest is a couple of inches higher than the base of the seatback, and the whole folded seat is a couple of inches shorter than the top deck of the drawers. As a result, any platform which relied on the folded seats for support would not be stable enough to serve as a sleeping platform, in my opinion. There is also about a one foot gap between the drawers and the folded second row seats which would have to be supported. So, if you want a sleeping platform that extends all the way from the inside of the tailgate to the back of the first row seats, this setup is not for you.

HTH

Just found this thread as i was looking into drawer systems, Fantastic feedback and pics! I may purchase one of these systems myself, and I've noticed there are tons of references to being able to install these without having to take out the 3rd row, but How would you secure the drawers with the 3rd row in place(I couldn't find anything on the Front Runner site.)? It look like all of the Tie-down points are along the sides of the drawer system...

Just found this thread as i was looking into drawer systems, Fantastic feedback and pics! I may purchase one of these systems myself, and I've noticed there are tons of references to being able to install these without having to take out the 3rd row, but How would you secure the drawers with the 3rd row in place(I couldn't find anything on the Front Runner site.)? It look like all of the Tie-down points are along the sides of the drawer system...

Here's a link to the pdf showing how to install the drawers with or without removing the third row seats: http://dealers.frontrunner.co.za/getResource/FittingInstructions/SSDS103?download=false

It's so little extra work just to remove the seats, I can't understand why anyone would leave them in place.

I've added a Dobinson's fridge slide since the pics in this thread were taken, and taken it on a few road trips. No rattles, squeaks or any problems yet:

DobinsonSlide5_24JAN17_zpsgyyhfuxp.jpg

What's nice is the drawers are higher than ARB drawers which allows the fridge slide to be deployed while the lower tailgate is up:

DobinsonSlide6_24JAN17_zpshnmbcqdr.jpg

I still highly recommend this setup.

HTH

Here's a link to the pdf showing how to install the drawers with or without removing the third row seats: http://dealers.frontrunner.co.za/getResource/FittingInstructions/SSDS103?download=false

It's so little extra work just to remove the seats, I can't understand why anyone would leave them in place.

I've added a Dobinson's fridge slide since the pics in this thread were taken, and taken it on a few road trips. No rattles, squeaks or any problems yet:

What's nice is the drawers are higher than ARB drawers which allows the fridge slide to be deployed while the lower tailgate is up:

DobinsonSlide6_24JAN17_zpshnmbcqdr.jpg

I still highly recommend this setup.

HTH
THANK YOU! I dont know why i didn't see the PDFs in the first place.

And second row seats can be moved all the way back and fully reclined without interference:

LC200DrawerInstall7_11NOV16_zpspt8l9sgk.jpg

HTH
I really like these drawers. I have no need for longer ones or to sleep in back, but I love that hidden area between the drawers and center seats. Do you think you could mount recovery gear there, or pehaps a long gun rack, bolted to the front wall of the drawers? How thick and strong is that part?

I am pretty bummed by the weight. I have read both 171 lbs and 160 lbs. Do you know the actual weight of the base system, with wings and deck completion kit, but without add ons like slides? And what is the weight of a typical longer ARB setup? It must be much less.

The ability to remove it easily and with minimal tools is a huge plus for me. I have no need for a full time setup. I have plenty of room to store it. I bet it is darned awkward to handle though, even with two people. Do the drawers come out easily to lighten it? How long would it take to unbolt the wings and deck completion kit from the drawer section?

I would appreciate a full user review since you have had these a while now. How much did you pay, where from and how bad is the freight charge? I could order from a local retailer but WA sales tax is 8.8% and that would probably cover the truck freight, so I prefer a vender who won't charge me tax....

Can we see some pics of the drawers with your gear inside?

BTW the link you posted to instructions no longer works.

Thanks,

John Davies
Spokane WA

Last edited:
I really like these drawers. I have no need for longer ones or to sleep in back, but I love that hidden area between the drawers and center seats. Do you think you could mount recovery gear there, or pehaps a long gun rack, bolted to the front wall of the drawers? How thick and strong is that part?

I am pretty bummed by the weight. I have read both 171 lbs and 160 lbs. Do you know the actual weight of the base system, with wings and deck completion kit, but without add ons like slides? And what is the weight of a typical longer ARB setup? It must be much less.

The ability to remove it easily and with minimal tools is a huge plus for me. I have no need for a full time setup. I have plenty of room to store it. I bet it is darned awkward to handle though, even with two people. Do the drawers come out easily to lighten it? How long would it take to unbolt the wings and deck completion kit from the drawer section?

I would appreciate a full user review since you have had these a while now. How much did you pay, where from and how bad is the freight charge? I could order from a local retailer but WA sales tax is 8.8% and that would probably cover the truck freight, so I prefer a vender who won't charge me tax....

Can we see some pics of the drawers with your gear inside?

BTW the link you posted to instructions no longer works.

Thanks,

John Davies
Spokane WA

I bought mine directly from FrontRunner for about US$1300 delivered - their price has increased since then. They are out of stock now, so if you need something right away, better look elsewhere.

Here is a link that works to the install instructions (I went to the FrontRunner sight and clicked on the "Install" tab to find them - not hard to find): Toyota Land Cruiser 200 Series Drawer Kit - by Front Runner

A total shipping weight, which includes boxing and strapping to a pallet, of about 170 pounds sounds right. Installed weight is probably around 120 pounds, but I didn't weigh them. I don't believe the ARB drawers are any lighter - probably heavier.

The space between the drawers and the second row seats is quite handy - I use it for "soft" gear like recovery straps, ground cloths, soft shackles, etc. If you want to mount "heavy" or "Hard" gear there, you would be limited by the width of the drawers and the space between the wheel wells - 37 inches. I'd suggest installing a bar secured by each of the angle iron supports at each side of the drawers and mounting to that, the back panel is tooo thin, IMO, to support anything on its own.

The drawers are not designed to be removed. They come installed and when I asked FrontRunner the same question, they said they are not removeable. With two people, after the third row seats are removed, the entire install could be done in an hour. I expect removal could be done in about the same time. To remove the trim kit, just remove 4 bolts that hold the "wings" in place and four screws that hold the metal trim plates at the back - probably about 10 minutes. Unhitching the drawer assembly is also simple - see install instructions. The unit is unweildy, even with two people, so I don't want to give the impression that these can be installed/removed at will whenever desired - they can, but it is a bit of bother to do it.

I'm still very well pleased with the drawers and appreciate the extra height of the drawers compared to the ARB unit.

HTH

ETA: Maybe a more direct link: http://dealers.frontrunner.co.za/api/getResource/fittingInstructions/SSDS103?download=false

Last edited:
I bought mine directly from FrontRunner for about US$1300 delivered - their price has increased since then. They are out of stock now, so if you need something right away, better look elsewhere.

Here is a link that works to the install instructions (I went to the FrontRunner sight and clicked on the "Install" tab to find them - not hard to find): Toyota Land Cruiser 200 Series Drawer Kit - by Front Runner

A total shipping weight, which includes boxing and strapping to a pallet, of about 170 pounds sounds right. Installed weight is probably around 120 pounds, but I didn't weigh them. I don't believe the ARB drawers are any lighter - probably heavier.

The space between the drawers and the second row seats is quite handy - I use it for "soft" gear like recovery straps, ground cloths, soft shackles, etc. If you want to mount "heavy" or "Hard" gear there, you would be limited by the width of the drawers and the space between the wheel wells - 37 inches. I'd suggest installing a bar secured by each of the angle iron supports at each side of the drawers and mounting to that, the back panel is tooo thin, IMO, to support anything on its own.

The drawers are not designed to be removed. They come installed and when I asked FrontRunner the same question, they said they are not removeable. With two people, after the third row seats are removed, the entire install could be done in an hour. I expect removal could be done in about the same time. To remove the trim kit, just remove 4 bolts that hold the "wings" in place and four screws that hold the metal trim plates at the back - probably about 10 minutes. Unhitching the drawer assembly is also simple - see install instructions. The unit is unweildy, even with two people, so I don't want to give the impression that these can be installed/removed at will whenever desired - they can, but it is a bit of bother to do it.

I'm still very well pleased with the drawers and appreciate the extra height of the drawers compared to the ARB unit.

HTH

ETA: Maybe a more direct link: http://dealers.frontrunner.co.za/api/getResource/fittingInstructions/SSDS103?download=false
Hi gaijin, been a while since this post, so wanted to see what your thoughts were of the Front Runner Drawers, now with a few months worth of use. Any regrets? any thoughts about a fridge drop or slider? I am about to pull the trigger on one, but wanted to see what the "long term" verdict was. THANKS!

Hi gaijin, been a while since this post, so wanted to see what your thoughts were of the Front Runner Drawers, now with a few months worth of use. Any regrets? any thoughts about a fridge drop or slider? I am about to pull the trigger on one, but wanted to see what the "long term" verdict was. THANKS!

I still enjoy the Frontrunner drawers a lot. I don't run a fridge, just a cooler; but I installed the Dobinson's slide and it works perfectly with my 54 quart Igloo Supertough cooler:

One nice advantage of the taller (than ARB) drawers is that I can slide the cooler out while the lower part of the tailgate is still closed:

DobinsonSlide6_24JAN17_zpsuhvhmtfl.jpg

Also still digging the convenience of magnetically attaching the Powerflares directly to the metal back panels:

LC200CargoLights_11DEC16_zpsokr9yhd4.jpg

HTH

I still enjoy the Frontrunner drawers a lot. I don't run a fridge, just a cooler; but I installed the Dobinson's slide and it works perfectly with my 54 quart Igloo Supertough cooler:

One nice advantage of the taller (than ARB) drawers is that I can slide the cooler out while the lower part of the tailgate is still closed:

DobinsonSlide6_24JAN17_zpsuhvhmtfl.jpg

Also still digging the convenience of magnetically attaching the Powerflares directly to the metal back panels:

LC200CargoLights_11DEC16_zpsokr9yhd4.jpg

HTH
Looks like an instant rave party at will.
Like the lights man

Looks like an instant rave party at will.
Like the lights man

They're Powerflare lights - worth a look: PowerFlare Corporation : Products

If you saw any of the video footage of the aftermath of the London Bridge attack earlier this year, all the unmarked police cars were using the blue Powerflares as emergency lights.

HTH

Just wanted to close the loop on this. I purchased the Front Runner Drawers, and installed them in my LC for about a month with the seats still in.
FRO drawers.jpg

I got tired of the "looming" feeling of dragging around a bunch of dead weight, so two nights ago i took the seats out and installed the trim/ deck completion kit, and the Alu-Cab Tilt slider. so far i love the setup.. going camping glamping this weekend to test everything out.
IMG_E0673.JPG

IMG_E0674.JPG

IMG_E0676.JPG

so i just wanted to say thanks to @gaijin for all of the details about the FRO drawers, and @indycole for posting some of the first shots (that i could find, my click fu is weak) of the Alu-Cab tilt slider.

Looks great!:clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom