Anybody have any experience with Goodman Furnaces/A/C Units? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yotadude520

Mini-Truck Enthusiast
Threads
So things aren't looking too good for my Luxaire furnace. This morning it flashed the code that the roll-over switch was open. I've yet to reset it and troubleshoot the switches but I began to think about replacing it when I do my A/C install. It's well over 15 years old and I think it's time. I plan on having A/C installed in a month or so I think then would be as good a time as any since they're already in there.

I've been looking at the Goodman Furnaces & A/C units and have read some really good things on them. It seems like the only arguments against them is the price and that they can be installed by anyone. Price is fair on these things and they have the same warranty as anyone else. People in the industry say parts are easy to come by and relatively inexpensive. All of these are good things to me.

Anyone here have any positive/negative experiences with Goodman?

I have a Goodman package unit for my shop. Put in probably 20yrs ago. Other than being expensive to run (esp heat), the only problems I've had have been burnt out heating element and a fried contactor - both easy enough DIY fixes. That said, the brand seems to be generally not well thought of by HVAC guys.

The newer stuff is sort of a mixed bag. Disclaimer (I work in the parts department of a heating and air company) We sell Goodman only when the customer ask for them specifically , Generally we can do an American Standard ( Tranes lower end brand) for close to the same money and have less issues. If you buy a Goodman find out about the max warranty on the front end. It used to be cheap to add with the purchase and covered parts and labor. At times Goodman has offered out to 10 years. Goodman is a slight pain on warranty , they require return of 100% of failed parts and charge $50 for a warranty compressor even if it is free. Daikin acquired Goodman a few years ago and is trying to improve them,.

I went with Trane equipment at my GF's house 16 seer with a variable speed blower. The reason is those are reliable and cheap to repair down the road out of warranty. I went with better filtration. Aprilaire. They are expensive but I have dogs and they do great and collecting dust and hair. They knocked the gas and electric bills down nicely.

Goodman has long been a low end brand. If you plan to sell soon go ahead. If not don't.

York or Trane are better investments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom