Anybody Flat Tow a GX? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fantic

SILVER Star
Threads
Wife is talking about upgrading her GX to something newer. At the same time I'm looking for a new toad to pull behind our Bluebird bus. Now I know the owners manual says no flat tow. Actually all Toyota manuals that I have say that. No matter the trans or transfer case. I seen a GX being pulled yesterday down the interstate by a rv. Blue OX makes a tow bar for it. So somebody must be doing it. I would love to be able to pull my GX or my 80. What do you guys think? Will this hurt the GX? Or is it just a liability thing for Toyota?

It is a full time 4wd system so you have to drop driveshafts or use a neutral tcase to even consider it.

You have to drop driveshafts....the transfer case oil pump is driven by the transmission output shaft...we looked at the same option for our GX470 and decided the risk of transfer case replacement was too high.

Good to know!

So I'm guessing the 80 would be the same thing?

We probably have put 15k miles in the last year on our '06 GX470 dragging it behind our coach without any issues. We full-time, therefore it goes wherever the coach goes. I ran into another owner in Arizona a few months back that had been flat-towing his for about 5 years and had easily 60k miles with no issues. It's one of the best tow vehicles I've ever had. Tracks well, doesn't fight the coach when we have a strong cross-wind, and took less than 2 hours to put the Roadmaster base plate on with just 2 tools. We throw the transfer case in neutral and leave the key in to prevent the column from locking. Just did 2k miles from Las Vegas to Southwest Virginia in 5 days. Switched the transfer case and diffs to a full synthetic oil from Lubrication Engineers last year.
img hostingcertificity.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom