Any good overland trails in central Texas? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Other than the Hill Country Overland Route I can't think of much worth noting. 96-97% private land makes for very little in the way of public use trails. I'd suggest a trip to Big Bend before it gets too hot or possibly a beach weekend down at PINS or Matagorda.

Other than the Hill Country Overland Route I can't think of much worth noting. 96-97% private land makes for very little in the way of public use trails. I'd suggest a trip to Big Bend before it gets too hot or possibly a beach weekend down at PINS or Matagorda.
Yeh, I went PINS in December and loved it. Might be planning a trip to Big Bend in the near future. Thanks for the info!

You can always run the roads in the Sam Houston National Forest but it's nothing spectacular.

Yes, the state park is leaps and bounds better than the national for actual off-roading. Just be prepared to **** your paint, you'll need to set aside a lot of time or $500+ to get it restored correctly.

Yes, the state park is leaps and bounds better than the national for actual off-roading. Just be prepared to f*** your paint, you'll need to set aside a lot of time or $500+ to get it restored correctly.
Yeah, Texas pinstripes for sure. My significant other is only willing to spot for rocks not scratchy plants. Seeing how I have been through this, I'm wondering how $500 could help? Respray?

$500 is what I was quoted to get them out, kind of a entry level paint restoration. There's always a vinyl wrap or the Rhino Skins options but you'll never stop it fully. The brush out there scratches the molding around the windows and the headlights too.

Last edited:
$500 is what I was quoted to get them out, kind of a entry level paint restoration. There's always a vinyl wrap or the Rhino Skins options but you'll stop it fully. The brush out there scratches the molding around the windows and the headlights too.
Interesting ..hadn't thought about the molding. Was thinking I would do a wrap in a few years.

If we weren't going to HF/MF the following weekend I'd try to make this but we will have to miss it this year.

Hands down the best Toyota event in Texas
@ajordan1975 it sounds like you've been before, this is my first year. I'm trying to decide if I prep the truck for pinstripes in the morning, is that a concern at Katemcy Rocks?

@ajordan1975 it sounds like you've been before, this is my first year. I'm trying to decide if I prep the truck for pinstripes in the morning, is that a concern at Katemcy Rocks?
I’ve been multiple times, but was always in my old crawler. so I had no real regard for body damage and always chose the hard trails. Never did the “overland” part of the event but sounds fun. Pick your lines and you’ll be good. Pinstripes aren’t really an issue. It’s the rocks.

I wouldn't expect much in the way of pin stripping out there, more like rocker damage and broken axle shafts, etc. lol. The rocks out there are like sand paper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom