Another Tires question?! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

From what I’ve read, the TRD wheels are at 25lbs so I’ll save about 6lbs over my oem lexus. The tires will be heavier for sure but I’m hoping that the overall increase won’t create too much negative impact.

Several of the mentions of C rated tires are also interesting and helpful. Doing additional research from all the input you guys are providing!

From what I’ve read, the TRD wheels are at 25lbs so I’ll save about 6lbs over my oem lexus. The tires will be heavier for sure but I’m hoping that the overall increase won’t create too much negative impact.

Several of the mentions of C rated tires are also interesting and helpful. Doing additional research from all the input you guys are providing!
If you want to save weight and get a LT tire, look at Bridgestone Dueler AT REVOs and Firestone Destination XTs

Lighter load range tires will air-down a lot easier than heavier tires. My last set of LT285/75R17 BFG M/T TA KM2 118Q tires. and even airing them down to about 12 psi, the side walls hardly flexed. With my current BFG A/T's I get a lot of side wall flex now when airing down.
Not sure if you have any plans on airing down on trails in the future or not, but just an FYI.

I am guessing Bridgestone uses the same basic carcass technology in both the Revo and XT.

These will probably go on the 4Runner.

Screenshot_20230506_124248_Chrome.jpg

Guess I’m not the only one with discount tire in my most visited page list lol.
I have the 285/70r17 toyo at III in c rated for 30k miles so far. I have been mostly happy but, the c rated do ride kinda rough and between the diameter and the weight it definitely doesn’t have that “Lexus” ride or quite the pep. I have been looking at every available option from lightweight e to smaller and lighter p rated tire when it comes time to replace.
I did also add a lift which I’m sure didn’t help the “Lexus” ride either. I did a lot of off roading the first few months of ownership but now it’s mostly just a bloated commuter. I’m thinking the lighter P tires will be for the better in my use case.
My friend with a Tacoma just got those Firestone XT and they seem like a really good tire. I’ve had my eye on them for a while.

TRD Pro wheels are around 25 lbs., not to be confused with TRD Off-Road wheels which are around 31 lbs.

TRD Pro wheels are around 25 lbs., not to be confused with TRD Off-Road wheels which are around 31 lbs.
Now that’s a bummer. I found several places that listed the trd off road wheels at 25lbs. I thought “Roody doesn’t know what he’s talking about. I’ve verified the weight.” I already have them so I just went and weighed one in my garage and it said 29.8lbs. BOOO.

I still like them for the low cost (5 for $500), look, 17” tire options and extra rubber. Just disappointed I won’t get the rotational weight savings I was hoping for.

Thanks for all the points of view! Really helping me land on what will work best for me.

Now that’s a bummer. I found several places that listed the trd off road wheels at 25lbs. I thought “Roody doesn’t know what he’s talking about. I’ve verified the weight.” I already have them so I just went and weighed one in my garage and it said 29.8lbs. BOOO.

I still like them for the low cost (5 for $500), look, 17” tire options and extra rubber. Just disappointed I won’t get the rotational weight savings I was hoping for.

Thanks for all the points of view! Really helping me land on what will work best for me.
Wow, my steelies are 30 lbs.

There are quite a few aftermarket wheels out there in the ~23# range. 30# is a lot of rotating mass for a wheel, although the TRDs are undoubtedly bulletproof.

I'd love a set of Method bead grips but they are also crazy-heavy.

Thanks for the actual number! Good to get verification on what is listed on other sites.

$100/wheel is a hell of a price even if they're heavy. Those TRDOR wheels are fantastic even despite the weight.

This thread resurrected my interest in 17” TRD wheels. Found several local sets for less than $400 for four wheels. I’d be in the market for five. There are so many TRD variants. Aside from looks, which ones are ideal for the GX in terms of offset, weight, and durability? TRD Pro?

The most definitive comparison I found is this, but it’s still missing some info: Wheel Specs - https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/wheel-specs.30754/

This thread resurrected my interest in 17” TRD wheels. Found several local sets for less than $400 for four wheels. I’d be in the market for five. There are so many TRD variants. Aside from looks, which ones are ideal for the GX in terms of offset, weight, and durability? TRD Pro?

The most definitive comparison I found is this, but it’s still missing some info: Wheel Specs - https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/wheel-specs.30754/
I would be an outlier and with durability suggest steel for the same weight as the regular offroad wheels. 😂

It really starts to get really, really expensive to get lightweight wheels, with increasingly diminishing returns. My wheels are fairly light at 22 lbs and relatively inexpensive at $500/wheel, but to get anything less than that while retaining strength is going into the Volk TE37 variants ($800-$1,200/wheel), custom forged billet wheels, or sacrificing something. You'd never make that back compared to your $500/set wheels.

The off-road tend to be cheap. I bought dealer take offs because the guy wanted the TRD Pro wheels. That’s pretty common here. Getting TRD Pro for cheap is much less common.

I like the look and the chrome matches the GX in my mind. Mostly I wanted 17” wheels and these are great quality for the money.

Trail4Runner has a great breakdown of the 4Runner OEM wheel options. Although he had the weight wrong on the TRD Off-road wheel’s apparently. 😉

It really starts to get really, really expensive to get lightweight wheels, with increasingly diminishing returns. My wheels are fairly light at 22 lbs and relatively inexpensive at $500/wheel, but to get anything less than that while retaining strength is going into the Volk TE37 variants ($800-$1,200/wheel), custom forged billet wheels, or sacrificing something. You'd never make that back compared to your $500/set wheels.
Yeah, I’m not willing to put too much money into wheels. Let’s me save for the lift more quickly.

That’s the fun of setting up your own rig. You get to make each call to suit your needs.

The off-road tend to be cheap. I bought dealer take offs because the guy wanted the TRD Pro wheels. That’s pretty common here. Getting TRD Pro for cheap is much less common.

I like the look and the chrome matches the GX in my mind. Mostly I wanted 17” wheels and these are great quality for the money.

Trail4Runner has a great breakdown of the 4Runner OEM wheel options. Although he had the weight wrong on the TRD Off-road wheel’s apparently. 😉
Time to post some pic's! :D

Just out of curiosity i just weighed a two TRD Off Road wheels I have in the garage. One without a tire and the other with a new 256/70-17 Falken Wild Peak.
Wheel w/o tire: 29.5lbs
Wheel w/tire: 76lbs

Also, I don't recall anyone asking, but why does a couple of pounds ± matter? People are more often concerned about adding weight to the overall weight of the vehicle, not just the rims and tires. Which is why I kind of wish I went with aluminum bumpers. But at the time I built my rig, no one was making them. I at least had the presence of mind to get a winch with synthetic line and not wire cable!

Also, I don't recall anyone asking, but why does a couple of pounds ± matter? People are more often concerned about adding weight to the overall weight of the vehicle, not just the rims and tires. Which is why I kind of wish I went with aluminum bumpers. But at the time I built my rig, no one was making them. I at least had the presence of mind to get a winch with synthetic line and not wire cable!
Maybe I'd misinterpreted a question earlier haha.

The short answer is that unsprung weight, especially rotational, is the best weight you can get rid of. In the track car world, a pound of weight you can remove from the wheels/tires is worth 5 pounds off the actual car. Less energy is expended rotating the wheels before you start moving, the suspension can do a better job of controlling of the wheels, etc.

Weight off your winch line and bumpers is great, because it's off the extreme ends of the vehicle, but the wheels/tires are the best place to start if you can afford to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom