Another thread about tires from a guy who has tried a ton of tires... need advice. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay so I am in the market for a new set of tires. My current set of BFG KO2's is coming to an end and I am on the hunt for a new set. Got 70k out of this set (rotated 5).

I know there is a kerbillion threads on what will fit etc. Here is where I am on this journey of finding the perfect tire size for the 100.

I am currently running 35x12.5-18 on
Tundra 18" factory wheels with
1.25" wheel spacers on all 4 corners.
I have 2.5" lift in the front and closer to 3.5" in the rear.
***I am looking at new UCA's to get my caster back into better spec with the new meats. I am seeing a bit of uneven wear towards the end of these tires lives.***
I love the look of the 35, but I want to go narrower to an 11.5 or so width. I wouldn't mind getting into the 34-34.5" true diameter.

I do want to stuff the tire again in the fender well, my current setup rubs when I bottom out of the fender lip. I have some slight rolling of the fender from baja'ing in the desert. I loved my set of 305/65-18's they ran about 33x11.5" or so and were a nice sweet spot... BUT, I would like a bit more diameter because... I was raised in the south and you can take the boy out of the south but you can't take the south out of the boy. I like big tires and I cannot lie.

I have been stuck in a KO2 rut and honestly love the tire. I am open to other designs but if they don't work in the snow I am out. I live in Montana and we are just wrapping up winter as we speak. I drive on snow for 6-8 months out of the year. I have had Toyo open countrys, Michelin LTX, Duratracs, MTRs, some Nitto's but I have come back to the KO2's time after time. I may just stick with them but curious what others are running in cold enviroments? General has my attention and some of the Cooper offerings. I like an aggressive looking tire but a true mud tire stinks in the snow. I'd love more traction in the dirt than the KO2 gives but that is second to how they perform in the snow.

Thanks for reading all of that... tires aren't cheap and I want to get a big purchase like this right.

So, fire away! What size would you recommend and in what Brand/Model.

Grateful for the 'Mud community.

NKAL3111.JPG

I vote for Yokohama Geolandar MT003. Has a lot of good reviews and I love the side wall design, this checks your box for it looking aggressive and a true mud tire. This is potentially my next set of tires.

Get some Kenda RT 285/75/18
kr601_rt_shadow.jpg

I see you drive winters 8 months of the year. Then you might appreciate these are studdable.

Last edited:
I too have liked the 3 sets of KO2s I’ve had, particularly their longevity and grip in the rocks, but they’re trash in the mud and average in the snow, IMO.

I strongly second @hickuptruck recommendation. The Kenda Klever R/T are the best all around tire I’ve tried, they’re better than KO2s on nearly every surface and conditions, and they’re available in some great/oddball sizes.

I really liked my wife’s terra grappler G2s when we lived in Jackson Hole for 2 winters. Those tires were great in all winter conditions.

I put Nitto EXO Grapplers (even has snowflake rating) on my 100 and they were OK in the snow, were great in fresh snow but not so much on ice and hardpack.

Last edited:
My oldest daughter rolls those Kenda Klever RT tires on her GX470. They don't suck. My wife rolls some Falken Wildpeak tires on her 5th Gen 4 Runner. This is the car we take to Breckenridge in the winter. They do excellent on snow/ice/slush. I spin Toyo Open Country MT's on the 100 and they are more of a Texas tire. Excellent in everything but snow but I've never tried them in the snow so...

I would love to hear more about the RT tire option. I like the idea of something quieter on the road, but better off road on rocks and mud than the AT. I find a HUGE difference in traction off road with the MT over the AT. Is the RT closer to the MT??

285/75R18. I had a set of Toyo MTs in that size that were great, albeit a bit noisy on the highway. 34.8"x11.2"

Go retro.

Thornbirds
It's hard to believe they even make Tbirds any more, haha. They are arguably one fo the best looking mud tires ever, too nad they could not have kept the look and improved the function over time..

I wanna hear more on these Klever RTs as well!

Any opinion on the Michelin LTX AT2 tires? These have good reviews on the tire rack site.
No personal experience but I have read nothing but good reviews on them, mostly from dudes over 50, which is sensible. Apparently on-road manners are amazing and they really last as long as their warranty, although there's no way i could ever keep tires until their max mileage, it's just not in me..

Can attest the Michelins are fantastic on road. I took them off as soon as I got my Cruiser and put on Falken Wildpeak AT3W. Loved them on wet roads! Off road I never needed anything more.

I’m from South Louisiana so I can’t attest to the snow, but I’ve heard great things about them.

I replaced them after 50k with some usable tread left after my BIL borrowed my cruiser and “mysteriously” had a blowout….

Go retro.

Thornbirds
I ran thornbirds on my 40 for like 5 years… death wobble, biased ply, road noise!

Friends don’t let friends run Thornbirds! Haha

Great info thanks guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom