Builds Another Mild Build - 2010 GX460 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Love the forum. After a fairly extensive nationwide search, I have a white 2010 with 107K miles being shipped to me through CarMax. Hopefully all goes well with that, very soon.

Below are a couple of pictures of a white GX460, from the RSG sliders website, that I love. If this is your GX or if you have knowledge about this set-up, I would appreciate your input so that I can replicate.
  • Sliders - RSG flat with top plate - powder coated. I am deciding between flat and angled.
  • Lift - Unknown - How much of a lift do you think that is? I was planning on 2.5" with likely an IronMan Foam Cell Pro Stage 2 kit for the GX.
  • Wheels - These are Fuel Off-Road Shok black painted. I assume these are 17x9 because that is narrowest size they come in 17" on tire rack (or that I could find). I thought that 17x8.5 was as big as you would want to go on the GX460. Do these wheels also appear to have a spacer or negative offset? I am also considering the Method MR701 and Konig 6 shooter, but I really like the look in the pictures below.
  • Tires - I will likely go smaller than the tires in this picture to fit in the spare (they look like 285's). To keep below the 32" spare limit I would likely do 255/70/17 or 275/65/17. My car on order doesn't have the factory tow hitch, but I plan on adding the OEM hitch.
My use priorities are:
(1) Daily driver - looks
(2) Full-time 4WD/AWD in the snow and for skiing
(3) Bombing down washboard roads in Southern Utah to go backpacking, with some overlanding/touring (may add a rooftop tent at some point).

Again, any input on the pictures below is appreciated!

FB_IMG_1551721366049_9c82c766-4e3f-4257-af8c-574230d5d9a6_540x.jpg

FB_IMG_1551721369469_9b400431-2d27-40ad-9ae3-89cb1bb08b0c_900x.jpg

Welcome to the club! Looking forward to some pictures of your new rig when you get it. :cheers:

Welcome to the club! Looking forward to some pictures of your new rig when you get it. :cheers:
Thanks!
Wheels and tires seems to be the most complicated part of selection for me. I think I have ditched the idea of a matching spare and will go with what I like.

Thanks!
Wheels and tires seems to be the most complicated part of selection for me. I think I have ditched the idea of a matching spare and will go with what I like.
That took longer than I expected for me to decide as well. I had picked SCS but decided last minute to go with ALPHAEquipt because of an IG picture of one of their wheels on a 460 and the person running their IG was REALLY responsive with answers to questions (replied within a couple minutes to my first question).

So, while I wait for delivery, I can look at my online photos and do virtual builds in my head.

There are many good looking setups here.

Regarding the picture in my OP, according to my calculations and estimations:
  • Sliders - RSG flat with top plate - powder coated.
  • Lift - Looks like a 2.5" lift according to my calculations, based upon 17" wheels.
  • Wheels - Fuel Off-Road Shok 17x9 (-12mm), Anthracite/Gunmetal.
  • Tires - 285/70/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W.
I am not sure if I will end up here, particularly with the issues with 285's (rubbing, BMC, gas mileage, etc.), but I am having fun looking.

Do any of you have 285's that would care to comment on your experience?

That took longer than I expected for me to decide as well. I had picked SCS but decided last minute to go with ALPHAEquipt because of an IG picture of one of their wheels on a 460 and the person running their IG was REALLY responsive with answers to questions (replied within a couple minutes to my first question).

I noticed you went up in size from your originally planned 265's to 275's, what made you decide that?

I noticed you went up in size from your originally planned 265's to 275's, what made you decide that?
The shop that did the install talked me into them. Said they would look better, get a bigger footprint and not much difference in price.

So, while I wait for delivery, I can look at my online photos and do virtual builds in my head.

There are many good looking setups here.

Regarding the picture in my OP, according to my calculations and estimations:
  • Sliders - RSG flat with top plate - powder coated.
  • Lift - Looks like a 2.5" lift according to my calculations, based upon 17" wheels.
  • Wheels - Fuel Off-Road Shok 17x9 (-12mm), Anthracite/Gunmetal.
  • Tires - 285/70/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W.
I am not sure if I will end up here, particularly with the issues with 285's (rubbing, BMC, gas mileage, etc.), but I am having fun looking.

Do any of you have 285's that would care to comment on your experience?

I am running Ironman FCP's set to 2.5-2.75" with 285/70/17's on 17x8.5" SCS wheels with a -10mm offset. I did a BMC and a bit of trimming to eliminate any rubbing. I can still touch 18-18.5 mpg on the highway if the head winds aren't bad. Around town 15-16 mpg is the norm and these are hand calculated numbers taking into consideration the size difference percentage of the tires from stock to 285's as well so it's accurate.

Power is still more than acceptable with 33's and if you have no plans to regear and would like to tow on the regular then I wouldn't recommend going any bigger. I plan to go bigger when these tires wear out but I fear that a re-gear will be necessary.

XduYf2N.jpg

orc5oFf.jpg

I am running Ironman FCP's set to 2.5-2.75" with 285/70/17's on 17x8.5" SCS wheels with a -10mm offset. I did a BMC and a bit of trimming to eliminate any rubbing. I can still touch 18-18.5 mpg on the highway if the head winds aren't bad. Around town 15-16 mpg is the norm and these are hand calculated numbers taking into consideration the size difference percentage of the tires from stock to 285's as well so it's accurate.

Power is still more than acceptable with 33's and if you have no plans to regear and would like to tow on the regular then I wouldn't recommend going any bigger. I plan to go bigger when these tires wear out but I fear that a re-gear will be necessary.

XduYf2N.jpg

orc5oFf.jpg
Thanks for the feedback. Still not sure if I have decided on the 285's, but it is good to know it is doable. Frankly, for me it would be mostly for looks, so decisions....

Thanks for the feedback. Still not sure if I have decided on the 285's, but it is good to know it is doable. Frankly, for me it would be mostly for looks, so decisions....

Aesthetics play an overwhelming part in most peoples decisions so don't sweat it. I say get what you "want", not what you "need" and you'll be happier in the long run.

So, my 2010 GX 460 (White with Black Interior) arrived last Thursday. I scheduled an appointment that night and it was as expected, very clean. So, I drove it home.

This one was perfect for what I was looking for:
2010-2013 - Wanted a 2013, but this had such a great maintenance history, I was ok with the 2010. 107K odometer.
Black interior
Base model - I lose the premium sound, heated steering wheel and the headlamp washers. Won't miss the air bags as that saves me $200+ from having to buy the airbag delete kit.
Comfort Plus Package - This is really nice as it gives the base model with a premium feel interior with the upgraded leather.
Convenience Package - Folding mirrors and beeping parking sensors. Nice to have's. Wasn't really looking for.
HID Headlights with Adaptive Lighting - Wasn't really looking for this but I like the lights.

The navigation system and headunit is terrible (way out of date), but I knew that going into this. Will need something aftermarket, but I know those options are limited.

As mentioned above, I went through CarMax. I paid more. But to be able to do a nationwide search, find what I want, and get a limited 3 month/4,000mi warranty has been great. I declined the CarMax warranty (for the earlier 3 years/150K I was quoted $1,900 to $2,400 depending on the deductible. I can still add through a loophole, but I would basically have to return within the 7 day period and repurchase with the warranty add-on.

I had the Autocheck from CarMax. I bought a CarFax. I also registered to get the Lexus dealer history on the Lexus owners site. That was awesome.
First sold in Northern VA as a 3 year lease vehicle. Lease return and re-sold as a CPO at the Lexus dealer. Purchased in VA and family moved to TX (north of Houston) for the last five years or so. Serviced at the Lexus dealer every 10K miles. Battery replaced at dealer with a Lexus battery. Brakes serviced at Lexus dealer.

Some surface rust (especially on the front skid plate), but overall not bad.

In the service history, the prior owner complained that the USB port stopped working. Was diagnosed, but owner declined service. I had that on my checklist and sure enough the USB port wasn't working. CarMax confirmed and we are scheduling a time for them to fix (covered by the initial limited warranty).

For the build:

I already purchased RSG sliders (flat, powder coated) a couple of weeks ago given the lead times. So, when those come in, off come the steps, then modified, then on with the sliders.
I programmed the garage remote without issue.
I just purchased silicon license plate frames, to be sent while I wait for my plates.
I need the OEM hitch. Seems like that is getting harder to find for a 2010.
Looking at the Ironman4x4 FCP Stage 2 - 2.5 in front (pre-built) and 2 in the back with the green (performance) springs.
Then finally I will change the wheels and tires (thinking of Fuel 17x9 -12 Shok Anthracite with either 285/70/R17 in KO2's or Wildpeaks). But I am fretting over the spare and BMC, with nearly 33" tires. So that decision will likely come last.
Will likely swap the interior bulbs to white LED.
Will likely add MTS and crawl control.
Going through other build threads to see what else.

Plan to make the mods myself. I have all the tools except for a welder for the BMC. May outsource, or may learn to weld.

I will share pictures as I proceed. This forum is invaluable. I basically had built in my head for months, before I pulled the trigger.

I have 275/70R-17 Wildpeaks and it doesn't fit in the spare. I did buy a 5th wheel and tire and will eventually get a door mounted carrier or a rear bumper (if someone actually takes the time to design a not ugly one).

Good luck on the new build and congrats on your new love!
FYI- When you refer to your tires by just 285 or 275 you are only referring
to the tread width, which doesn’t give you the specific answers you are looking for........and it drives me nuts! 😁

I have 275/70R-17 Wildpeaks and it doesn't fit in the spare. I did buy a 5th wheel and tire and will eventually get a door mounted carrier or a rear bumper (if someone actually takes the time to design a not ugly one).

Thanks. I will likely be in a similar position. Driving around town I won't worry about the spare (I have AAA), but what do I do when in the middle of nowhere.

Good luck on the new build and congrats on your new love!
FYI- When you refer to your tires by just 285 or 275 you are only referring
to the tread width, which doesn’t give you the specific answers you are looking for........and it drives me nuts! 😁

Thanks. I noticed that pet peeve (and lack of correct information) from others so I have tried to clearly list out the entire tire size lately (285/70/R17).

It is probably similar to when people refer to Zion National Park as Zions. Zions is the bank. Zion is the national park. :D

After a few idle winter months and various parts sitting in my garage, I have made the following mods in rough order:

1- OEM Hitch (purchased from local Lexus dealer; installed myself)
2- Lexus OEM 2 part rubber cargo area mat (Amazon)
3- 3D MAXpider - Kagu Black 1st Row Floor Mats (eBay; ordered 2nd Row as well, but that was canceled as out of stock and still is)
4- RAD Rubber Fender liners (RAD Rubber; installed with the lift, the old liners were brittle and had nearly disintegrated)
5- Ironman 4x4 FCP Stage 2 2.5" front and 2" rear green springs (Ironman USA direct; installed myself)
6- Step removal, trim piece cut and RSG flat sliders with top plate (not gripped) with kickout black powder coated (including logo) (RSG direct; installed myself)
7- Wheels - Fuel Shok Gunmetal 17x9 with -12 offset and Tires - Falken Wildpeak AT3W Passenger rated 285/70/17 (Discount Tire)
8- UNI Filter 1" Clamp mod (Amazon - actually a K&N 1" clamp filter and not UNI)
9- 2010 "Lexus" rear badge delete and swap of Lexus logo to 2020+ black and crystal logo

To come:
Installation of MTS (I have the part in my cabinet, just need to pry the panels and install)
Body Mount Chop (rubs on body mount turning in reverse)
Contemplating deleting GX460 rear badge

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom