Another... HELP, my 3FE wont start thread! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Stoshu

SILVER Star
Threads
1991 FJ80 3FE, 267K miles. I bought this truck a few years ago with the intention of building a trail rig. It's been sitting at my shop getting started up and moved intermittently. Anyway, it was running fine this spring when I moved it and now won't start. Here's the situation:
  • Turns over but will not fire.
  • CEL light on with key ON
  • Has spark
  • Has fresh fuel in tank
  • Will not run with FP and B+ diagnostic terminals jumped
  • Runs on starting fluid then dies when not fed
Already replaced the EFI relay, just in case! :rofl:

Seems to me that the fuel pump is inoperable, but was wondering if there is any way to easily verify this? Can it be jumped at the connector with 12V supply? I'm fairly certain the 3FE fuel pump does not operate with just the key on, so hard to diagnose solo.

Any direction or advice would be greatly appreciated! Paging @jonheld !!! :D

If you jump FP and B+ in the diagnostic connector, the FP will run with the key in the ON position, assuming you're getting +12 at the B+ terminal.
Remove the access panel between the 2nd row seats and verify voltage to the FP connector.
If good +12 in the diagnostic connector and no +12 at the pump, then inspect the FP wiring that runs under the body at the C pillar. That spot is prone to corrosion.

Thanks Jon. Just verified 12V is present at B+ diagnostic terminal with key on, but FP is definitely not running with FP and B+ jumped. Looks like I'll be pulling the second row seats as soon as it stops raining here.

Had the exact same problem
my fj80 sat for a few years unused and when I tried to start it nothing
had spark as well
i used starting fluid and ran as long as I fed it.
I changed the fuel pump ( got the entire assembly off of eBay 150.00)

also my MAF sensor was bad so replaced that as well. Got from eBay as well (130.00)
( eBay seller - cruiserjunction is a great land cruiser parts source as well as being In the same town where I live )

1992 FJ80 3fe has been running fine ever since

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom