Another alternator wiring question - 76 FED (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Engine fuse blowing - alternator wiring going into plug doesn’t look great (the Green/White wires are barely hanging on) (going to start there first), but I figured I would ask the forum of experts if the wiring looks correct. Thx

475A1B37-FBB9-4AB8-A2B9-7D4850213C4C.jpeg

14300C39-2C79-4F9F-BAF0-BDBF2483961B.jpeg

Engine fuse blowing - alternator wiring going into plug doesn’t look great (the Green/White wires are barely hanging on) (going to start there first), but I figured I would ask the forum of experts if the wiring looks correct. Thx

View attachment 2551891

View attachment 2551892

you know who to call .............

i am surprise at you Ksep .......... 🚨

89620-60060jpg.image.500 x400 - Copy (3) - Copy - Copy.jpg

i got you all fixed up and even see your issue too in pic #1

parts pig tails are needed and oem insulator booths too

Seems ok. Definitely get some new connectors for the wires. The plastic housing can be reused if it isn’t brittle.
@Coolerman has connectors and housings. Look for bare spots in the wires that could be shorting out blowing your fuse. Also make sure there is nothing hanging behind your gauge cluster. I had a temp sender wire that ran behind the cluster and was touching the back of the ammeter and blowing my engine fuse.

your white ring terminal wire is grounding out on the F E N spade terminals where the plug goes in your pic ?

View attachment 2551891

View attachment 2551892

i will help you out with stuff and supplies if coolerman is too busy

no problem

With the alt disconnected does the engine fuse hold and start fine?

I was having the same problem, PO had done some wiring on the alternator and one of them was crossed. Turned out I don't think my battery was charging either lol

yes another reason I’m doing this is because my battery is not being recharged while running - with the engine running I pull the Neg battery lead off and the engine wants to die - telling me the alternator is not working correctly. Leads me to think he wired it wrong AND I’m addressing blowing fuse at the same time. Thinking it’s not a coincidence that they are both happening. Thoughts Anyone?

Last edited:
yes another reason I’m doing this is because m ya battery is not being charged - with the engine running I pull the Neg battery lead off and the engine wants to die - telling me the alternator is not working correctly. Leads me to think he wired it wrong AND I’m addressing blowing fuse at the same time. Thinking it’s not a coincidence that they are both happening. Thoughts Anyone?

OK

RED FLAG Here

stop time to tweek the chain of events a tad

- you got alot going on , mayber too much ?

you could have indeed fryied your alternator , its a low cost rock auto type unit , to be very clear i AM NOT being snarky just stating information

- you need to pull of that alternator and have it manually bench tested as your nect cruicial step in my professional opinion

this was you will know 2 Concrete facts not easily diagnosed buy you in fading winter cold twihlight

- 1 : your unit is working normal and doing it job , then you can move on and concentrate valueble time diagnosing the correct nest steps

- 2 :: your unit took a dump , then all you have to do is reach around back and pull out wifes CC ............exchange out a nice fresh unit

- there is ZERO guess work here allowed , you cant take and waist valuable resources

and I always sleep better st night simply knowing i left NO TEq stones unturned

please consider the proscribed steps

would be mine exactly if i were you

bench tests are free usually

just my : 🦄

DSCN9587.JPG
, and you learn alot to watching others working on your ShEET !

just my :

Just following my eyes from alternator wire through engine and bam! - spotted this too .. lol 😂

The wire your looking at is across the engine block to the right under whatever this K&N filter charger thing is for and the air compressor/arb power unit for compressor/lockers

01E11E42-EF24-4BED-B338-2BCAA48E3AB1.png

9172685C-4233-4AD1-9783-D76EA19B2A49.jpeg

Is that a natural splice by the factory? Going off to the headlights...I think not by the way I’m just curious what the e heck I’m looking at here - I ran my eyes along where it going and uncovered as much as I could and it was headed toward my front left headlight

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom