Another 3FE no crank issue..Shocking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright guys as the title states another 3FE with a no crank no start issue. Now before I get a lot of comments using the search function etc etc. I was already using the site and search function for about a month before I finally signed up. I kept finding myself back to the site so it was time to join. Always have lurked around to find answers, but now I need some support.

Here’s the backstory: Uncle got a stroke and it was too hard for my grandfather to move 2-3 times a week for street cleaning and to keep the battery topped off. They asked if I could store it ay my house for the time being while he got better. It was my job to now keep it topped off. I got busy with work, had to jump it one time. And the second time it started fine. Third time I decided to take it for a drive to make sure it got a charge. Few days later it didn’t start, tried jumping, then threw the battery on the battery charger. Still no go.

It has now been a month of me trying numerous things found on the forum and I am starting to feel a little frustrated. My wife and I are expecting a baby any day now and I would like to hopefully get this resolved before he arrives, since I have a bit more free time now than I will later.

I have tried a the following:
- Noticed the battery terminals weren’t in good shape and the battery tie down was missing. So the battery must have moving around causing the battery cable to come lose. Replaced both positive and negative cables. Also new tie down so this will no longer be an issue.
- Purchased a new battery. Still no luck.
- New EFI relay.
- Checked for voltage drop at: starter(.02 voltage drop), fuse box with EFI relay, at fusible link
- I do have a CEL while the ignition is in the “on” position. Dome lights work, brake lights work.
- Checked I have no blown fuses in the engine bay or in the cab.
- Jumped the diagnostic plug on the firewall to see if there were any codes. None that I noticed. Can check again.
- Ordered 2 fusible links and housing. Waiting for these to arrive to try out.
- My brother took out the starter and took over to the local auto parts store to be tested. They said it works fine.

Things I haven’t or still doing research:
- testing fuel pump
- check FPR or fuel damper

Also to note the history of the vehicle. It has 245k miles, looks like the starter is not a OEM Denso starter. My uncle is convinced that it is the distributor and said he has had to replace it every 2+ years or so. For the most part I have always seen the rig plugged into a battery charger. Has had minimal maintenance over the years.

I am thinking its time to order a new starter, but I am open to any other recommendations you may have until my new fusible links comes in the mail.

If it won't even crank, you don't need to be looking at the fuel system (yet). You're probably on the right course with an electrical issue. Don't just throw parts at it. That can work, but ends up being frustrating and expensive. Diagnose and test. Hopefully fusible links. fix the issue. Have you tried bypassing the ignition switch and shorting the starter terminals to see if it cranks then? Also, make sure the shifter knows it's in park. Every once in a while the park position switch is to blame. Good luck.

If it won't even crank, you don't need to be looking at the fuel system (yet). You're probably on the right course with an electrical issue. Don't just throw parts at it. That can work, but ends up being frustrating and expensive. Diagnose and test. Hopefully fusible links. fix the issue. Have you tried bypassing the ignition switch and shorting the starter terminals to see if it cranks then? Also, make sure the shifter knows it's in park. Every once in a while the park position switch is to blame. Good luck.

Thanks. I did forget to mention that I tried put the shifter into park numerous times. But will work on jumping the contacts on the starter first.

Could be the neutral safety switch (NSS), have you tried starting in neutral instead of park?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom