Anna Nicole Smith is bleeding (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m not the most knowledgeable person in the world but I found my girl leaking oil after warming up the engine this morning. Made an appointment at the local shop but I’m not 100% positive where it’s coming from, only where it’s dripping from. Also I see crack lines and a ill shaped hole that doesn’t look factory. Any input is appreciated, I trust the shop but I would love to know how bad this looks.
7B6BAE60-0812-4F6C-94C3-21695CDB6AC2.jpeg

EBE6A42D-4981-42F0-8E58-81C437382AAB.jpeg

A2B513B7-21B3-4944-A5DE-A909E9CF44CF.jpeg

06B18D47-3FA7-4AA7-AD91-141493986DB2.jpeg

You've got plenty of cruiser friends on the forum here. Go slow, take pictures and ask questions and you shouldn't have much trouble.

Wrenching on your own 80 can be a lot of fun or at least very satisfying. For many of us it's a big part of why we enjoy our older rigs. The satisfaction that you will get every time you drive your 80 after doing this work yourself, properly is something you should look forward to. Few, if any, paid mechanics are going to put the care and attention to detail that you can put into servicing your 80 and you'll spend less buying tools than you would paying the hourly rates for another mechanics work. You'll be much better at troubleshooting, operating and getting the most out of your 80 over time if you wrench on it yourself and this is particularly true if you venture far off road.

My main advice, that may not show up in all of the videos/etc., is to try to avoid hard deadlines and schedules for your work at this point. You'll need time to learn as you go, you will likely need to make tool runs, parts may not be right when you try to install them and you may have to redo a few things to get them right. A hard Sunday night deadline so that you can drive the 80 to work on Monday is going to add stress, cause mistakes and shortcuts/etc. If you keep the 80 long term you'll be redoing axle service and brake jobs so pay attention to how long they take this time and then you can have a sense of how much time you'll need in the future, though it will be far less than the 1st time through.

Working with folks like Cruiser Outfitters can help reduce the risk of you not having the right parts, or all of the parts you need, when you dive into the work. You can call and tell them what you are getting into and they can help you make sure you order what you need.

The oil leak isn’t that big of a deal unless you’re anal. Address the brakes first and foremost.

Remove the front wheels and see if a 3mm Allen wrench can fit between the rotor, pad and the pad housing. If not, time for new pads.

Your front pads do most of the braking.

Front brake pads are $150 there are numerous threads on this site showing you how to replace them.

Owning an 80 is often times about prioritizing what needs immediate attention vs what can wait for a bit until you have the time/ money/ tools/ skills.

Last edited:
The oil leak isn’t that big of a deal unless you’re anal. Address the brakes first and foremost.

Remove the front wheels and see if a 3mm Allen wrench can fit between the rotor, pad and the pad housing. If not, time for new pads.

Your front pads do most of the braking.

Front brake pads are $150 there are numerous threads on this site showing you how to replace them.

Owning an 80 is often times about prioritizing what needs immediate attention vs what can wait for a bit until you have the time/ money/ tools/ skills.

Seems you are quoting the wrong person?

Cheers

oil collects there on the 80's, bellhousing looks fine, have you addressed all the leaks at the front of the engine? these are the most likely culprits: disty oring, crank seal, oil pump cover. If these have not been redone then I would look first there, then the oil pans, then the rear main. Lots of people think its the rear main before checking other areas that are more likely. Hard to know with out knowing the history. Good luck.

Not trying to be a d_ck, brake pads are fairly remedial work. If that is out of your league and a couple grand is a lot of money for you, this may not be the kind of vehicle you should have at this time in your life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom