And onto the suspension (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Need a 60 axle housing? I would extract the diff, save the shafts kill the carrier & housing... buy a new housing & carrier... Damn... :D

I think I am going to do what Kurt suggested. I think I can trash the Carrier and ring gear to get it apart. I should be able to salvage the rest.

I actually made some positive progress tonight. I removed the rest of the DS frame rail that was required. I also made the replacement hanger and mounted it. Attached are some pice of how it came out. If you notice the extra hole in the hanger, it is for an alternate mounting location for the leaf. The unsprun leaf measurements indicate that the new position should be 3-3/4" forward of the old one. I think that the longer leafs will flatten out longer than the old thus moving the forward eye toward the front. I set the alternate hole at 4-3/4" forward of the original. It looks like I may be able to leave the stock shackle hanger where it is and use it for a double shackle setup.
French02.jpg
French01.jpg
French03.jpg

trailcarnage said:
jesterb said:
I'm not familiar with french mounted leafs :confused: . Can you explain?QUOTE]

It is when you mount the spring eye inside of the frame. I hope to have pics tonight.

Hmm, is that what that's called? I've seen it (maybe on an Scout???) didn't know that was the name for it. Anyone know why French?

Nice work. But I guess now you'll be known as "He who wheels with spare axle assembly. . . ." :D

Dunno? I think the same term is used for a license plate that is fluch-mounted into the body.

I am thinking also building a roof rack. I guess we know what will be carried up there. :)

Man, that looks identical to a Mopar spring hanger.

Back in the 1950s (yes, I was alive & already a motorhead, although a really young one), the hot rodders "frenched" headlights, taillights, aerials, licence plate frames, and anything else that would hold still long enough. You can still see this technique at custom car shows.

I think the term is more related to the kiss than anything else. Do I have to explain it to you?

Tinker said:
I think the term is more related to the kiss than anything else. Do I have to explain it to you?

I that when you give up on making out with a girl, or is it when you ask for help from someone else to fix your mistakes???

I can't help myself.

Hangers look good!

Dan

TBI harness skematic?

Well, I took a break today and visited the boneyard to pull my TBI parts. While stumbling over a heavy of exhaust pipe, I looked up to view a find for this area...a '86 Fj60, the same as mine. I have been ordering all of my parts from the rigs being parted out here. It had nearly everything that i have already purchased. :doh: Anyway, I nabbed the wiper fluid container, rear tail light assy., dome light and shift nobs for $10!. From the 4.3L, I got the wiring harness, ECU, throttle body, air cleaner, water temp sensor, MAP sensor and various misc. parts for $70. You gotta love a pull-it-yourself yard.

Now onto the big question...Any of you who have built your own TBI harness, do you have skematics? After I began cutting out what I knew I didn't need, I still have a ton left. Any help on this one would be greatly appreciatted.

BTW- They yard told me that i could have the rear axle assy. for $250. :D

Last edited:
TC Cruiser

As I stated previously, I have most of the wiring harness firgued out. There are some loose ends that one of our esteemed members has offer to help me with...thanks Doc!

Here are some pics of the components that I am using. These came from a '91 S10 Blazer, 4WD, Auto.

Here is the throttle body, throttle body with cut/tagged harness and water temp sensor:
ThrottleBody.jpg
TBwithHarnes.jpg
WaterTemp.jpg

Last edited:
This is the MAP(Manifold Absolute Air Pressure) sensor, O2 Sensor(single wire/non-heated), and the ECM. I am going to mount the O2 seonsor high in the exaust system so it shouldn't require a heating element. If you run headers that force you to mount the O2 sensor lower, you should run a heated snesor which is a 2 or 3 wire.
MAPSensor.jpg
O2Sensor.jpg
ECM.jpg

I also grabbed the fuel lines from the donor along with the air cleaner. The air cleaner has a DS intake. If it fits under my hood it should work well. Also, here is a pic of all of the extra shyat that I grabbed just in case. Not bad for $80 with the additional Cruiser parts.
FuelLines.jpg
AirCleaner.jpg
ExtraShyat.jpg

And finally, the new FHM mag arrived today. I am quite torn between a little "alone" time with FHM or alone time with the Cruiser. :D
FHM.jpg

And now it's time to take a breather for a week or so. While cutting the frame rail to install the PS spring hanger, the grinder (thin wheel) dug in hard. When it jumped out, it ran across my LH index knuckle. I promplty scurried out from under the vehicle, smacking my head in the process! :eek: I bent my knuckle to inspect the situation so see my tendons (the white spot in the center). :doh:

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF YOUR TOOLS!
knuckle.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a rear spring in place with the Waggy shackle and a Tacoma shackle. This gives the basic idea behind a double shackle. I am going to make one that attaches to the stock mount and extends back to provide the rear mount. It will lay against the frame unless the suspension off-loads. It should add a ton of extra droop.
dbl_shackle_mock.jpg

dude you need to wear some thicker gloves....the gloves i wear gets hit with the grinder often. I stop the wheel from spinning somtimes with them(after i shut it off of course) I forget the name but they come in a 3 pack and are a grayish color.

Sorry bout the hand dude...cruisers strating come alone nice....keep us posted.

lowtideride said:
dude you need to wear some thicker gloves....the gloves i wear gets hit with the grinder often. I stop the wheel from spinning somtimes with them(after i shut it off of course) I forget the name but they come in a 3 pack and are a grayish color.

Sorry bout the hand dude...cruisers strating come alone nice....keep us posted.

They used to be thicker but age has tried their endurance. I believe the key to this injuy was the thin wheel, 0.090" thick. It doesn't allow much room for error. Lesson learned... I will stick with the welding gauntlets from now on when using it.. Also, my wife is checking into chain mail that she bought for one of her meal prep boys at work. Not a bad idea if it is flexible.

trailcarnage said:
And now it's time to take a breather for a week or so. While cutting the frame rail to install the PS spring hanger, the grinder (thin wheel) dug in hard. When it jumped out, it ran across my LH index knuckle. I promplty scurried out from under the vehicle, smacking my head in the process! :eek: I bent my knuckle to inspect the situation so see my tendons (the white spot in the center). :doh:

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF YOUR TOOLS!

Good one Tom! I did that like a month ago, I have a nice scar from it too. When you coming to the South again?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom