Ambulance door alignment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JDNs78FJ40

SILVER Star
Threads
Installed the ambulance doors today and I can’t get them to shut properly. The drivers side appears to be the problem. I did have the bottom of that one repaired with a patch from Real steel. It actually seem like it’s short?
16217BC9-3D8B-486F-AA24-4D665ADF3BBA.jpeg

6267A808-F758-4D06-B673-87BB17E795D5.jpeg

can someone take a quick measurement from the bottom and top to these 2 points?

28E22A9D-C428-4656-BE93-ADBF7A9773FA.jpeg

CE8D2984-2FCE-49B1-9911-50CE2D329894.jpeg

anything I could be missing?

It looks like the latch is not engaging the striker. You should verify the latch is adjusted so that it is moving the full distance, in and out, to fully engage the striker. If it is at the maximum travel then you could shim the striker but it looks like there isn't much clearance before it interferes with the door.

It looks like the latch is not engaging the striker. You should verify the latch is adjusted so that it is moving the full distance, in and out, to fully engage the striker. If it is at the maximum travel then you could shim the striker but it looks like there isn't much clearance before it interferes with the door.
Curious how far out I can adjust the latch? Need 3/8th on the bottom and another 3/8-7/16 on top? Maybe my 44 year old latches are too worn down? Does something go under the striker?

Agree with Cromagnon - the top latch should stick up another 3/8 inch to lock into position. Have you checked the linkage? It can be adjusted to allow the latch maximum travel.

Installed the ambulance doors today and I can’t get them to shut properly. The drivers side appears to be the problem. I did have the bottom of that one repaired with a patch from Real steel. It actually seem like it’s short?
View attachment 2495518

View attachment 2495522
can someone take a quick measurement from the bottom and top to these 2 points?

View attachment 2495528
View attachment 2495530
anything I could be missing?
Hey can you show us a video that would be really cool. Also toss it up on YouTube and see if it's a searchable. I've done my share of installing car doors in aligning the doors. By the way you have a shop I am so jealous!

I was able to adjust the bottom latch so it hangs down further and it catches good now. Still having issues the the top latch. There doesn’t seem to be a way to adjust it unless I’m missing something? If I mess with the adjustment bolt and make the top latch stick up more it slides right back down as there is nothing holding it in place where it connects to the pin/spring. Shimmed the top striker plate for now with some washers.:bang:

Here are two links that show the spring adjustment for the latches; LINK1 and LINK2 . HTH

You could look at the local hardware store for a spring replacement. I have no idea what K the springs have but you should be able to find something slightly stiffer than what you have now. Stretching them will work temporarily.

You should also think about buying a star, it's what keeps this site alive and we all want it to be here for a long time.

That's what I'm talking about...FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's a LINK for the star. It is under "STORE" / "SUPPORT"

Thank you.

Slightly unrelated - can anyone recommend a source for a replacement for the short rod labeled "LINK" that sits inside the housing? I'd be happy with a used one, and I'd buy and entire assembly if I had to. Mine mysteriously snapped partway up the threaded section. Thanks for any recommendations!

AmbyDoorShortUpperLink.jpeg

Slightly unrelated - can anyone recommend a source for a replacement for the short rod labeled "LINK" that sits inside the housing? I'd be happy with a used one, and I'd buy and entire assembly if I had to. Mine mysteriously snapped partway up the threaded section. Thanks for any recommendations!

View attachment 2497760
Do you still have the piece that broke? Jayson from 40channel on YouTube repaired one with a little welding. It’s in his ambulance door rebuild video.

Thanks for the response - I don't think I have the broken end, but I will look for the video. I was thinking about making a replacement if I could find some threaded rod the right pitch. If I fabricate something it will not be pretty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom